Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Deputy

Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered
before I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and
had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain
sawdust. Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how
well they work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience
with them so will ask a larger population. Do these perform as
advertised or are they just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any
information you care to provide
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 15:26:27 -0600, Roger wrote:

Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered
before I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and
had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain
sawdust. Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how
well they work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience
with them so will ask a larger population. Do these perform as
advertised or are they just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any
information you care to provide

I have no personal experience, but cyclone separators as a scientific
technique work _stupendously_. Judging by their demo vid, DDs do,
too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXZKYWpMbE

http://goo.gl/U8hnW $39 + $12.50 s/h from Oneida via Amazon for the
DIY set. Supply your own hardware, buckets, and hose.

OK, over to you Leon, to gush over Festool HEPA vacs. BTW, Oneida
makes one for them, too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SheO6zwBI
Why don't you have one yet, you naughty boy?

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 4:26*pm, Roger wrote:
Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered
before I even no I have them. *Now for the question. *Recently moved and
had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain
sawdust. *Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how
well they work. *Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience
with them so will ask a larger population. *Do these perform as
advertised or are they just another bunch of hype. *Thanks for any
information you care to provide

Hello Roger,
I put a dust deputy on my shopvac and my Festool vac and they work as
promised. Filters or bags almost never seem to clog up or fill up. I
thought there might be some loss of efficiency due to the extra
resistance of the hoses and cyclone but both vacs draw up as much dust
and debris as noticed before. The only " inconvenience" might be the
extra large footprint of having a 5 gallon bucket next to your
vacuum. Well worth the price of admission.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04 Dec 2011 07:27:17 GMT, Puckdropper
The Festool vac is designed to have Systainers stored on top of it, right?
Why not put the bucket on top?

Definitely!
http://www.systainerworld.com/Oneida.../axd000009.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Roger,
I put *a dust deputy on my shopvac and my Festool vac and they work as
promised. *Filters or bags almost never seem to clog up or fill up. *I
thought there might be some loss of efficiency due to the extra
resistance of the hoses and cyclone but both vacs draw up as much dust
and debris as noticed before. *The only " inconvenience" might be the
extra large footprint of having a 5 gallon bucket next to your
vacuum. *Well worth the price of admission.

Marc

The Festool vac is designed to have Systainers stored on top of it, right?
Why not put the bucket on top?

Puckdropper

Hey PD, Original poster, others,,
Sorry about not being specific enough about where the dust deputy
resides in use. What I meant by the large footprint was referring to
my regular shop vac. The Festool has its dust deputy mounted on top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2011 3:26 PM, Roger wrote:
Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered
before I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and
had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain
sawdust. Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how
well they work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience with
them so will ask a larger population. Do these perform as advertised or
are they just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any information you care
to provide

Thank you for all the information. Looks like this is the solution and
will get one headed my way. One other question popped into my head,
does height above pick up area have any effect if the shopvac develops
enough air flow. Thinking ahead of myself on this one, or as I normally
do just have brain farts, and considering mounting this raised slightly
above head height. Thanks again for any help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

How does it compare to the Rockler Vortex system?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 00:37:05 -0500, blueman wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

Ah dunno. I have a Griz G-1029 with plastic cyclone lid for my
trashcan. It takes out 99% or so of particulates, leaving the DC bag
pretty much empty. It also saves the impeller if I suck up some
hardware. I'm in love with vortex apparati.

I'd be willing to bet that most are equally effective.

Pick one and you likely won't be unhappy with it.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a Shop Improvement copy of Fine Woodworking on the
shelves now that has a excellent story on dust collection and the
Dust Deputy is highly praised.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages...rrentissue.asp

A similar device from Rockler also was praised because it has wheels
which is clearly easier to deal with.

On 12/3/2011 1:26 PM, Roger wrote:
Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered
before I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and
had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain
sawdust. Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how
well they work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience with
them so will ask a larger population. Do these perform as advertised or
are they just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any information you care
to provide

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got one to use with my Ridgid 6.5 gal vac. Works as advertised. Only
problem was when I sucked up a plastic bag and bits of paper. They got
kinda wedged in the vortex and caused some plastic and sawdust to bypass the
DD and get into the Vac. The lesson I learned is to not use this system to
pick up misc. trash. For sawdust, chips, etc., works great and keeps my vac
filter a LOT cleaner.

I saw a couple of very interesting installations of the DD vortex unit on
the Lumberjocks.com site.

"Roger" wrote in message
Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered before
I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and had to
greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain sawdust.
Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how well they
work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience with them so
will ask a larger population. Do these perform as advertised or are they
just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any information you care to
provide

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 3:10*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
There is a Shop Improvement copy of Fine Woodworking on the
shelves now that has a excellent story on dust collection and the
Dust Deputy is highly praised.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages...rrentissue.asp

A similar device from Rockler also was praised because it has wheels
which is clearly easier to deal with.

On 12/3/2011 1:26 PM, Roger wrote:

Just a another comment on the Oneida DD; The more recent models do
come with 3 casters to affix to the bottom of the outside pail (if you
buy the complete DD.)