Replacement fence for Delta contractor saw?

Old July 6th 04, 04:02 AM
Denny

Default Replacement fence for Delta contractor saw?

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new fence for my Delta (36-650).
It's a struggle to cut a straight line with the fence that came with the
saw (it's just a generic Delta fence), because it has too much wiggle at the
back end when it's locked. It looks like most replacement fences have long
rails and require adding an extension with legs to support the rails, but I
don't really have the room for that kind of setup. So my question is what
would be a good replacement fence that would fit the saw without having to
add an extension? I'm assuming I'll have to spend about $200 to $300...
Thanks,
Denny

Old July 6th 04, 04:04 AM
Lew Hodgett

"Denny" writes:

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new fence for my Delta (36-650).

snip

IMHO, you have two (2) choices:

1) Unifence

2) Everything else that wants to be a Unifence.

HTH

BTW, Yes, I have one.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Old July 6th 04, 04:29 AM
Denny

Lew,
After poking around on the web it looks like the U30 Unifence (I think it's
the one with the shortest rails) still requires a set of legs to the right
of the table, do you know if it can be installed (and is it stable) without
the legs?
Denny

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Denny" writes:

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new fence for my Delta

(36-650).
snip

IMHO, you have two (2) choices:

1) Unifence

2) Everything else that wants to be a Unifence.

HTH

BTW, Yes, I have one.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Old July 6th 04, 06:02 AM
Lew Hodgett

"Denny" writes:
Lew,
After poking around on the web it looks like the U30 Unifence (I think

it's
the one with the shortest rails) still requires a set of legs to the right
of the table, do you know if it can be installed (and is it stable)

without
the legs?

I seriously doubt it.

IMHO, it would be very unstable.

Lew

Old July 6th 04, 10:13 AM
Unisaw A100

Ditto what Lew said but replace Unifence with Biesemeyer.

UA100
Old July 6th 04, 01:31 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Denny" wrote in message
I've come to the conclusion that I need a new fence for my Delta (36-650).
It's a struggle to cut a straight line with the fence that came with the
saw (it's just a generic Delta fence), because it has too much wiggle at

the
back end when it's locked. It looks like most replacement fences have

long
rails and require adding an extension with legs to support the rails, but

don't really have the room for that kind of setup. So my question is what
would be a good replacement fence that would fit the saw without having to
add an extension? I'm assuming I'll have to spend about $200 to $300...
Thanks,
Denny

Biesemeyer is my first choice and also look at the HTC fence. Lee Valley
carries them. They are a Biesemeyer clone. With the 30" rails I think you
could get away with out the legs. OTOH, if you are knowledgeable about
using a saw, making a tableboard and legs is a fund thing to do.
Ed

Old July 6th 04, 01:39 PM
Denny

I took a look at the Biesemeyer on the web and it looks like the shortest
rail system is on the BHS28 (28" right home shop fence). But it looks like
the rails are still long enough so that support legs are necessary. Is it
stable without the legs (on a contractor saw)?
Thanks,
Denny

Old July 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Bob Schmall

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Ditto what Lew said but replace Unifence with Biesemeyer.

UA100

I've had both, and neither stands out for me--they each have strengths and
weaknesses.
Beis: strong, lockable, accurate.
Uni: accurate, easily movable, versatile.

You couldn't make a mistake buying either one.

Bob

Old July 6th 04, 02:54 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Denny" wrote in message
I took a look at the Biesemeyer on the web and it looks like the shortest
rail system is on the BHS28 (28" right home shop fence). But it looks

like
the rails are still long enough so that support legs are necessary. Is it
stable without the legs (on a contractor saw)?
Thanks,
Denny

The rails are damned rigid and rugged. I don't think that is the reason the
legs are in place.

If you add an extension and tableboard, you have a nice work area for
assembly etc. Pile on a cabinet under assembly, dozen clamps, Next thing
you know, the saw is tipping over. Leg prevent that.
Ed

Old July 6th 04, 03:01 PM
none

Denny,

I've worked with and owned both (Beis/clones and Unifence) and mounted them
in several different configurations. Either can be adapted to -just about-
any tablesaw. You can check the manf website to see if they have any
installation notes that may prevent it from being installed on your TS.

The rail in the back is not used for the fence at all but is merely a
support for the extension table on the right side. Since you do not have
the room for the extension table, you will not need the back rail.

The front rail mounts slightly differently for each model but essentially,
if you can bolt it down to the front in 3 places, it will be as solid as
you'll ever need. Essentially, the top of the front rail needs to be ~3/4"
lower than the tabletop surface. The fence mounting bolt locations need to
be about 1/2" to 1" lower so you may need to make/install brackets and/or
drill holes in the TS. You can cut the front rail to the length you want.
Measure distance from blade to the max right position then add the extra
needed to support the right-hand part of the T on the fence.

You may also want to consider this -
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop/tsquarefence.html

Regards,

Bob S.