Never Enough Money

Default Was: Suggestion for Pulling 4x4 wooden fence post.

Slighly off-topic for a wood working newsgruop . but, hey, there was a

... and the previous postings were a real help to me. I bought a "high
jack" from NAPA Auto Parts (aka Farm jack) and followed the advice on
the postings with a minor exception. Many of the postings advised
using a chain. I found that if I used my circular saw to notch out a
hold on the post, I could jack the post out without the chain. In the
few tough cases, I did use a chain and put it into the notch for easy
gripping. Like seveal of the postings also advised, a 2x4 under the
jack prevents the jack from sinking down to bedrock....

Just though my "notching" idea might help somebody...or maybe I'm
arrogant .. or both....or neither...
Bob

Default Suggestion for Pulling 4x4 wooden fence post.

Would you still have notched the posts if you were planning on reusing them
? Not critizing - legit question.

Bob S.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
m...
Slighly off-topic for a wood working newsgruop . but, hey, there was a

.. and the previous postings were a real help to me. I bought a "high
jack" from NAPA Auto Parts (aka Farm jack) and followed the advice on
the postings with a minor exception. Many of the postings advised
using a chain. I found that if I used my circular saw to notch out a
hold on the post, I could jack the post out without the chain. In the
few tough cases, I did use a chain and put it into the notch for easy
gripping. Like seveal of the postings also advised, a 2x4 under the
jack prevents the jack from sinking down to bedrock....

Just though my "notching" idea might help somebody...or maybe I'm
arrogant .. or both....or neither...

Thomas Kendrick

Pulling the post depends on what is to follow.

I had a neighbor try to pull some wood 4x4 posts which must have had 2
bags of concrete mix per hole. He wanted to replace the fence with a
brick retaining wall. Borrowed my pair of farm jacks - all it did was
break the posts off at ground level.

I recommended that he break them all off at ground level and rent an
electric jackhammer to break the base up if he really needed the
concrete removed.

If the replacement fence can offset the posts from the originals, then
breakoff is the fastest. To replace just ONE post in the line may
require removing everything.
Kiwanda

Thomas Kendrick wrote in
:

Pulling the post depends on what is to follow.
I had a neighbor try to pull some wood 4x4 posts which must

have had 2
bags of concrete mix per hole. He wanted to replace the fence

with a
brick retaining wall. Borrowed my pair of farm jacks - all it

did was
break the posts off at ground level.
I recommended that he break them all off at ground level and

rent an
electric jackhammer to break the base up if he really needed

the
concrete removed.

In a similar situation, I just dug down to the concrete (about
6" below surface) and cut the posts off with the sawzall. Filled
in the holes and forgot about the concrete.

-drl

Thomas Kendrick

No such luck. The concrete was at the surface around each post, 16"
diameter. This fence was adjacent to an alley paved in concrete.
Probably used a concrete truck with a few yards left over to fill
these holes. Great for the first owner, but difficult to remove.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:47:57 +0000 (UTC), Kiwanda
wrote:

In a similar situation, I just dug down to the concrete (about
6" below surface) and cut the posts off with the sawzall. Filled
in the holes and forgot about the concrete.

-drl

Old Nick

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:55:33 -0500, Thomas Kendrick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

hire a backhoe

Have a party

Charge for a go on the BH G

Seriously. I have had guys line up to use a jackhammer like crows at a
.....nuff sed.

You just got to pick the right office workers, and the right brand of
ale! G

No such luck. The concrete was at the surface around each post, 16"
diameter. This fence was adjacent to an alley paved in concrete.

Probably used a concrete truck with a few yards left over to fill
these holes. Great for the first owner, but difficult to remove.

See? They thought it out G

7ft slotted concrete fence post? Richard UK diy 2 May 20th 04 09:55 PM
fence post holes clara UK diy 4 March 24th 04 04:31 PM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
renewing fence post for the third time! Peter Bull UK diy 4 January 10th 04 02:54 PM