Charlie Mraz

Default DIY dovetail jigs?

I was searching the internet and came across these plans for a dovetail jig:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/dovejig.html

It is from an old Woodsmith magazine. Has anyone tried to make this jig, or
another DIY dovetail jig themselves? I've been thinking about the mechanics
of cutting dovetails, and it seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to
make one. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

Morris Dovey

Charlie Mraz wrote:

I was searching the internet and came across these plans for a
dovetail jig:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/dovejig.html

It is from an old Woodsmith magazine. Has anyone tried to
make this jig, or another DIY dovetail jig themselves? I've
been thinking about the mechanics of cutting dovetails, and it
seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to make one. Any
additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Charlie...

I haven't seen the Woodsmith issue. My own shop-built dovetail
jig can be seen at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/cnc_joinery.html

The jig was inexpensive; but the router was a killer (speed
controllable in 0.1 RPM increments from 0 - 24,000 RPM, 5 HP
available over the whole range).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Earl Creel

I have not tried to make a complete jig. The generic blue monster jigs are
so cheap and do a decent job with half-blind dovetails that it don't seem
worth the effort. However, I have made my own templates to use with my blue
monster that allow me to cut through dovetails. Could send some pictures if
you are interested.
Earl Creel

"Charlie Mraz" wrote in message
I was searching the internet and came across these plans for a dovetail

jig:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/dovejig.html

It is from an old Woodsmith magazine. Has anyone tried to make this jig,

or
another DIY dovetail jig themselves? I've been thinking about the

mechanics
of cutting dovetails, and it seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to
make one. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

David Merrill

Having just purchased one of the 'blue monsters' from Harbor Freight I'd be
very interested in pictures and any construction and setup/use hints you
could offer regarding through dovetail templates. Perhaps you could post
them to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for all to see. If you prefer to
email note that the anti-spam 'DOT' must be deleted from my email address.

Thanks,
David Merrill

"Earl Creel" wrote in message
I have not tried to make a complete jig. The generic blue monster jigs

are
so cheap and do a decent job with half-blind dovetails that it don't seem
worth the effort. However, I have made my own templates to use with my

blue
monster that allow me to cut through dovetails. Could send some pictures

if
you are interested.
Earl Creel

Charlie Mraz

I was searching the internet and came across these plans for a
dovetail jig:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/dovejig.html

It is from an old Woodsmith magazine. Has anyone tried to
make this jig, or another DIY dovetail jig themselves? I've
been thinking about the mechanics of cutting dovetails, and it
seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to make one. Any
additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Charlie...

I haven't seen the Woodsmith issue. My own shop-built dovetail
jig can be seen at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/cnc_joinery.html

The jig was inexpensive; but the router was a killer (speed
controllable in 0.1 RPM increments from 0 - 24,000 RPM, 5 HP
available over the whole range).

That's quite a machine! Not quite what I had in mind, though...

Charlie

Charlie Mraz

Having just purchased one of the 'blue monsters' from Harbor Freight I'd
be
very interested in pictures and any construction and setup/use hints you
could offer regarding through dovetail templates. Perhaps you could post
them to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for all to see. If you prefer

email note that the anti-spam 'DOT' must be deleted from my email address.

Thanks,
David Merrill

I read a review of the JET dovetail jig on amazon that basically said that
the harbor freight version is somehow sub-standard as far as fit and finish
goes. Is there any truth to this? The jigs from HF, JET, Grizzly, and
Rockler all look identical but vary in price from $39.99 to $79.99. I know
the Rockler ($79.99) comes with the necessary template guide and bit, but I
believe that the rest are jigs only. Any comments from owners of the
various brands?

Charlie

David Merrill

Haven't seen any of the dovetail jig imports in the flesh except the HF
version. However, see my comments in the following thread regarding the HF
version and Eric Anderson's comments concerning improvements he made to the
very similar, but not completely identical, Woodstock International version.
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...r%3D%26hl%3Den

On other products (specifically HF's $149 horizontal/vertical metal cutting
bandsaw) I visually compared it to Jet's comparable, but more expensive,
product and found that the Jet did indeed have some slightly different, and
better, engineering design details.

All considered, I felt that I got my money's worth with the HF product (both
the dovetail jig and the bandsaw referenced above). Note that I'm a
hobbiest; I only buy at their sale prices; I don't buy sight unseen; and I'm
prepared to do a bit of tweaking and modifying if needed.

David Merrill

[...]

Dennis Johnson

In article , says...
I was searching the internet and came across these plans for a dovetail jig:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/dovejig.html

It is from an old Woodsmith magazine. Has anyone tried to make this jig, or
another DIY dovetail jig themselves? I've been thinking about the mechanics
of cutting dovetails, and it seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to
make one. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

I made it and it works great. Have tried several of the blue monsters
and while they probably work well for soft woods, I had trouble with
them when making drawers out of 1/2 inch oak. The vibration caused
movement of the sides in the jig. I beleive the problem is with the bars
that are used to hold the sides in place. While they look impressive,
they do bend every so slight and allow for movement. The Woodsmith jig
has oak bars that do not bend. I really like it.
Dennis Johnson

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
[...]

I modified the plan a little by using the Porter Cable 5/8 template made
out of 1/4 aluminum. That way I can use a 1/2 dovetail bit on a 1/2
shank and get much less vibration.

RixWorx

This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...ate_master.htm

"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
.net...
In article , says...
[...]

Alan W

"RixWorx" wrote in message news:aCqDc.21923$wS2.7318@okepread03...
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...ate_master.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee
Han

(Alan W) wrote in
om:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re..._template_mast
er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore, if I
were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any restrictions. I buy
it, I own it, and that's that.

--
Best regards
Han
J. Clarke

Han wrote:

(Alan W) wrote in
om:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re..._template_mast
er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore, if I
were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any restrictions. I
buy it, I own it, and that's that.

Read the FAQ on the Stots site--it really is a shrinkwrap license like with
software. "If you remove this sticker you agree to . . ."

What a court would have to say about it is another story.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:53:56 GMT, Han wrote:

(Alan W) wrote in
. com:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re..._template_mast
er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore, if I
were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any restrictions. I buy
it, I own it, and that's that.

With shrinkwrap licenses, it doesn't have to be on the Rockler website.
By your act of breaking the seal on the product, you are agreeing to all
terms and conditions in the license accompanying the package, so by opening
the package without reading the license, for all you know you may be
agreeing to become Bill Gate's towel boy in his new mansion (obscure
Dilbert reference) in exchange for getting to use the product. Your
agreement is not with Rockler, but with the weasels selling the jig. IMHO,
(IANAL) such an agreement on a tool would not be very likely to withstand a
court challenge, but then who wants to go through the hassle, you're better
off finding another product that does not have such an egregious and
arrogant opinion of itself. Ed Foster's gripe line in Infoworld has had
quite a bit of fun with this extreme example of "sneakwrap" licensing.

Alan W

Han wrote in message ...
(Alan W) wrote in
om:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re..._template_mast
er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore, if I
were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any restrictions. I buy
it, I own it, and that's that.

The EULA is not on any website you buy your software from, nor is it
printed on the outside of the box. Try to get your money back after
you open the software box. To my knowledge EULA has not been
challened in court yet.

Any company which dis-respects their customers with a tool as Stotts
does, does not deserve my business.

ALan
Han

(Alan W) wrote in
om:

Han wrote in message
(Alan W) wrote in
om:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...ail_template_m
ast er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license.
You don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use
a template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore,
if I were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any
restrictions. I buy it, I own it, and that's that.

The EULA is not on any website you buy your software from, nor is it
printed on the outside of the box. Try to get your money back after
you open the software box. To my knowledge EULA has not been
challened in court yet.

Any company which dis-respects their customers with a tool as Stotts
does, does not deserve my business.

ALan

I've read a bit of the website shrinkware announcement. As I understand
it, Stottswhatever his name is doesn't want you to go in business with
*his* system and start making jigs with it for everyone you know, or loan
it to all your "friends" so they can do it themselves. I think that is a
somewhat reasonable request. However, if I can freely share my router or
drill to my friends, I think I should be able to do a similar thing with
some other "tool" that I have bought. Therefore, I do not feel encumbered
by his request (unfortunately I do not (yet) know many people who could
conceivably be interested in it).

--
Best regards
Han