Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bad Bosch Band Saw Blades

The quarter-inch x 93.5 inch blade for my Delta BS snapped in half on
start-up. We had been cutting half-inch pine - about sixty lineal feet
of curved fence pickets Initially, the Bosch cut nicely - quite an
improvement. Then "bang," it went. Scared my wife quite a bit as she
was running the saw at the time - we now call her Band Saw Grannie!.

So I took it back to Lowes and traded it for another. After about
fifteen more pickets - it snapped in half! I'm on my third blade and
planning on taking it back, as well as the second broken blade.

Neither broke at the weld seam.

OK, what I'm looking to learn is the brand of Band Saw Blade I can
depend upon and a source or two for same.

I suspect a few folks will have questions as to how I set up my BS,
how I was using it, etc. More than happy to answer. But, from my
perspective: nothing different from how I've been using it for years
with the old blades.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
The quarter-inch x 93.5 inch blade for my Delta BS snapped in half on
start-up. We had been cutting half-inch pine - about sixty lineal feet
of curved fence pickets Initially, the Bosch cut nicely - quite an
improvement. Then "bang," it went. Scared my wife quite a bit as she
was running the saw at the time - we now call her Band Saw Grannie!.

I recent picked up Delta Model 28-276, which is alot like Model 28-206.
Did you make all of the adjustments as guided by the manual? In
particular, "adjusting the upper (and loweer) blade guides and suport
bearings". I spent at least several hours trying to make sure I had
those right (but I never owned a BS before). I needed to use a
flashlight. I made a few wavy cuts through a few 2by4s, made a
celebratory sigh, and moved onto my next project.

At least on my BS, there is another mechanism which comes into play when
the saw is started--a screw with a rubber cap on it, that bounces
against the motor like a door-stop when the saw is started. You may wish
to check that the rubber cap is still present. Good luck with your saw.

Bill

So I took it back to Lowes and traded it for another. After about
fifteen more pickets - it snapped in half! I'm on my third blade and
planning on taking it back, as well as the second broken blade.

Neither broke at the weld seam.

OK, what I'm looking to learn is the brand of Band Saw Blade I can
depend upon and a source or two for same.

I suspect a few folks will have questions as to how I set up my BS,
how I was using it, etc. More than happy to answer. But, from my
perspective: nothing different from how I've been using it for years
with the old blades.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/25/2011 9:49 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

What does Bosch know about band saws and or blades?

Anyway, I have had good luck with these

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/25/2011 10:49 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
The quarter-inch x 93.5 inch blade for my Delta BS snapped in half on
start-up. We had been cutting half-inch pine - about sixty lineal feet
of curved fence pickets Initially, the Bosch cut nicely - quite an
improvement. Then "bang," it went. Scared my wife quite a bit as she
was running the saw at the time - we now call her Band Saw Grannie!.

So I took it back to Lowes and traded it for another. After about
fifteen more pickets - it snapped in half! I'm on my third blade and
planning on taking it back, as well as the second broken blade.

Neither broke at the weld seam.

OK, what I'm looking to learn is the brand of Band Saw Blade I can
depend upon and a source or two for same.

I've had nothing but excellent results from Olson blades.
http://www.olsonsaw.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You're not going overboard on the blade tension, are you?

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:58:44 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

What does Bosch know about band saws and or blades?

Anyway, I have had good luck with these

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com

Damn, I was going to say that but you beat me to it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 8:15*am, Doug Miller
wrote:

I've had nothing but excellent results from Olson blades.http://www.olsonsaw.com

Thank you, went looking, which one(s)/type?? General woodworking, no
re-sawing. softwoods mostly.

Band Saw Blades include: All-Pro and MVP, Bi-Metal, Hard Edge, Flex
Back, Hard Back, Thin Kerf, and Wood Band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 2:30*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:

You're not going overboard on the blade tension, are you?

Could be. I reduced the tension twice (between each break) and have
gone through three of their blades so far.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/swed...-steel-prices/

This link is to a chart of SWEDISH SILICON STEEL blades. Great
selection - but confusing to me as I don't know what all the
abbreviations (AS, AS-S, VPC) mean

I thought to purchase the following for about $28. Not sure if that's
a great price (shipping extra) or not. Also, I do NOT understand the
two-letter descriptions Woodcraft lists. The quarter-inch blades
appear to come in 4, six eight and ten tooth versions (not all seen on
one website!) - for the task we were doing (cutting half-inch thick
p.t. pine fence pickets (a bit "wet") into shapes with a couple of 1.5-
inch diameter semi-circles, what should I look for?

Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 1/4" x 93-1/2", 6 TPI Timber Wolf makes the
worlds only thin-kerf, low tension, silicon steel band saw blades that
will outlast your old carbon steel blades by a mile! Your bandsaw will
cut better and faster, with less wear on bearings, shafts and tires.
Tooth angles and gullet symmetries, combined with a unique set
pattern, create a blade that is everything a wood-cutting blade was
meant to be. Blade has over 60 of the speed capabilities of a hook
blade while giving you the great finish of a skip. The round design of
the gullet eliminates any work hardening zones. Couple that with the
special 6.5 degrees rake, 5-tooth set pattern, and .025" thick thin-
kerf blade and you have an awesome bandsaw blade!

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/26/2011 10:55 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:15 am, Doug
wrote:

I've had nothing but excellent results from Olson blades.http://www.olsonsaw.com

Thank you, went looking, which one(s)/type?? General woodworking, no
re-sawing. softwoods mostly.

Band Saw Blades include: All-Pro and MVP, Bi-Metal, Hard Edge, Flex
Back, Hard Back, Thin Kerf, and Wood Band.

Just general woodworking. It's been a while since I've needed to buy a
bandsaw blade; the packaging on the last one I bought doesn't have any
partilar designations like those on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:44:03 -0700, Hoosierpopi wrote:

Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 1/4" x 93-1/2", 6 TPI Timber Wolf makes the
worlds only thin-kerf, low tension, silicon steel band saw blades that
will outlast your old carbon steel blades by a mile! Your bandsaw will
cut better and faster, with less wear on bearings, shafts and tires.

I like Timberwolf blades, but I haven't found them to work as well under
low tension as they do under normal tension. They wander more under low
tension. I don't know what tension I'm using, I just tighten till the
blade sounds tight when twanged.

For blades I use infrequently, I buy Olsen. One of these days I'll try a
HH Woodslicer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I have had excellent experience using Grainger. I've been running Morse
blades on the steel cutting band saw and portaband. I've been using
Lennox on the wood band saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Replying to all who offered advice.

I went to Klingspor and bout a Timber wolf blade. Set it up (flutter)
as instructed - scary low tension) and it works. I also reset the
steel guides (need to get cool blocks or ceramic blocks or rollers, I
guess and maybe a new yellow spring) and the roller on top - the blade
(at low tension) was missing it entirely. I discovered why the top
bearing shaft was hex-shaped!

The blade does cut noticeably better than the old one or the Bosch
blades.

Unfortunately, we are done with the major BS cutting operation (last
eight pickets done today) so cannot test the TW against the same
amount of work as was put to the Bosch blades (three broke all told -
Lowes took 'em back).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote

Unfortunately, we are done with the major BS cutting operation (last
eight pickets done today) so cannot test the TW against the same
amount of work as was put to the Bosch blades (three broke all told -
Lowes took 'em back).

Given the reputation for quality Bosch has, I'm really surprised you had the
problem with three blades. They may have all been from the same batch.
Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of that batch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2011 9:43 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Replying to all who offered advice.

I went to Klingspor and bout a Timber wolf blade. Set it up (flutter)
as instructed - scary low tension) and it works. I also reset the
steel guides (need to get cool blocks or ceramic blocks or rollers, I
guess and maybe a new yellow spring) and the roller on top - the blade
(at low tension) was missing it entirely. I discovered why the top
bearing shaft was hex-shaped!

The blade does cut noticeably better than the old one or the Bosch
blades.

Unfortunately, we are done with the major BS cutting operation (last
eight pickets done today) so cannot test the TW against the same
amount of work as was put to the Bosch blades (three broke all told -
Lowes took 'em back).

I have never subscribed to the low tension setting, I use close to the
setting suggested by my saw gauge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I couldn't locally find a bandsaw blade in the size (56-1/8) I needed
for my Black & Decker 3-wheeler other than a Bosch, so I am currently
trying one. So far it's working good. Cut through bone like butter,
tracked great and even kept the dust down. I'll see how long it lasts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 10:52*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of that
batch.

Well, they all were from the same rack in the same store.

Having said that, I may have contributed to the failures as I am a
novice with this machine and band saws in general. I did find that, at
some point, blades had worn ruts in the steel guides and the round
bearings behind the blade were not properly aligned. I found these
problems one after the other after each blade broke and, the last
after installing the timber wolf blade.

Only time will tell if these adjustments and the new blade cure the
problem and acquit the Bosch blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
On Aug 28, 10:52 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of that
batch.

Well, they all were from the same rack in the same store.

Having said that, I may have contributed to the failures as I am a
novice with this machine and band saws in general. I did find that, at
some point, blades had worn ruts in the steel guides and the round
bearings behind the blade were not properly aligned. I found these
problems one after the other after each blade broke and, the last
after installing the timber wolf blade.

Only time will tell if these adjustments and the new blade cure the
problem and acquit the Bosch blades.

May Paul Harvey RIP. "and now you know the rest of the story"

You just acquitted the blades.

Properly set up, nothing wears grooves. Improperly set up, blades will
break.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2011 10:33 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Aug 28, 10:52 pm, "Ed wrote:

Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of that
batch.

Well, they all were from the same rack in the same store.

Having said that, I may have contributed to the failures as I am a
novice with this machine and band saws in general. I did find that, at
some point, blades had worn ruts in the steel guides and the round
bearings behind the blade were not properly aligned. I found these
problems one after the other after each blade broke and, the last
after installing the timber wolf blade.

I suspect a few folks will have questions as to how I set up my BS,
how I was using it, etc. More than happy to answer. But, from my
perspective: nothing different from how I've been using it for years
with the old blades.

Kinda hard to diagnose a problem with those two paragraph above. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote

So I took it back to Lowes and traded it for another. After about
fifteen more pickets - it snapped in half! I'm on my third blade and
planning on taking it back, as well as the second broken blade.

Neither broke at the weld seam.

OK, what I'm looking to learn is the brand of Band Saw Blade I can
depend upon and a source or two for same.
Betcha the blades are made in China. China steel and accurate heat treating
sucks. Find better blades.

-- Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2011 9:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Hoosierpopi" wrote

Unfortunately, we are done with the major BS cutting operation (last
eight pickets done today) so cannot test the TW against the same
amount of work as was put to the Bosch blades (three broke all told -
Lowes took 'em back).

Given the reputation for quality Bosch has, I'm really surprised you had
the problem with three blades. They may have all been from the same
batch. Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of
that batch.

Don't be fooled into thinking that everything that a reputable company
markets is great, I would suspect that even Festool has some stinkers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" writes:
"Hoosierpopi" wrote

So I took it back to Lowes and traded it for another. After about
fifteen more pickets - it snapped in half! I'm on my third blade and
planning on taking it back, as well as the second broken blade.

Neither broke at the weld seam.

OK, what I'm looking to learn is the brand of Band Saw Blade I can
depend upon and a source or two for same.
Betcha the blades are made in China. China steel and accurate heat treating
sucks. Find better blades.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. China makes perfectly good
steel (the steel for the signature tower of the bay bridge is from China). China
also makes cheap goods for purchase by cheap consumers in the US with lower
quality.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:24:52 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/28/2011 9:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Hoosierpopi" wrote

Unfortunately, we are done with the major BS cutting operation (last
eight pickets done today) so cannot test the TW against the same
amount of work as was put to the Bosch blades (three broke all told -
Lowes took 'em back).

Given the reputation for quality Bosch has, I'm really surprised you had
the problem with three blades. They may have all been from the same
batch. Makes me wonder if something was missed in the heat treating of
that batch.

I generally like Bosch tools but I have a palm sander that has never held the
paper. It's particularly bad with 220 paper.

Don't be fooled into thinking that everything that a reputable company
markets is great, I would suspect that even Festool has some stinkers.

Like their price sheet? ;-)

band-saw blades JP Home Repair 2 February 9th 11 03:05 AM
Best way to clean band saw blades? -MIKE- Woodworking 16 March 28th 09 06:58 PM
Band Saw Blades [email protected] Woodworking 25 January 10th 09 05:26 PM
Band saw blades in SF bay area Jerry Foster Metalworking 0 May 13th 06 12:55 AM
best deals on 93.5 band saw blades? Grant Woodworking 4 April 2nd 05 03:42 AM