Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup & iPad2 - exciting times!

I use an iPad2 daily in my business as a General Contractor, and in
eWoodShop kitchen, cabinetry and furniture jobs.

Many also know that I have also relied on Google Sketchup for a number
of years for design and fabrication in the shop; even building a house
in 2009 where all the construction documents for permitting, bidding and
build, and much of the design except for the foundation plan, were
generated using Sketchup.

Now both of those technologies have been leveraged even further.

This is a shot of my iPad2 this afternoon running a Sketchup model of a
recent shop project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PDQwKyD9AQ

This is something I've been waiting for ... I'm excited!

Just opened up a whole new world for presentations. AAMOF, I've got a
meeting in the morning on a prospective kitchen job and guess what's
going with me!

For more information, and uses for other 3CAD programs:

http://www.3dvia.com/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:37:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Very cool. Now, if you weren't a blind old heifer, you could use a
smaller menu system so the project could be shown larger. gd&r

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

Like someone said (I think elsewhere, and this is paraphrased), waiting
with baited breath for the port of Sketchup for the iPad. But, given the
"love" between google and apple, that bait may become stinky ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 6:58 AM, Han wrote:
Larry wrote in
:

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

Like someone said (I think elsewhere, and this is paraphrased), waiting
with baited breath for the port of Sketchup for the iPad. But, given the
"love" between google and apple, that bait may become stinky ...

I don't have many pet peeves when it comes to cliches, but that's one of
them.

Try "bated breath".

And no, C-Less, it is just a 3D model viewer which allows you pan, zoom,
and orbit around your model. Three actions that were heretofore
impossible to do outside SU on any device except a computer capable of
running the program itself.

That's indeed progress ... besides, I can't imagine anyone wanting to
design any custom piece of cabinetry or furniture on anything less than
a computer capable of running the software, and with a mouse/pointing
device attached.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in newseKdnaMkZO-
:

Try "bated breath".

Thanks!! I looked it up:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

My excuse is that English is my second language, and there is no direct
equivalent in Dutch that I know of.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice!

Thanx for that information. It makes more sense now. English is my first
language.

------------

"Han" wrote in message ...
Thanks!! I looked it up:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

My excuse is that English is my second language, and there is no direct
equivalent in Dutch that I know of.

--
Swingman wrote in newseKdnaMkZO-
:
Try "bated breath".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:11:52 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/2/2011 6:58 AM, Han wrote:
Larry wrote in
:

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

Like someone said (I think elsewhere, and this is paraphrased), waiting
with baited breath for the port of Sketchup for the iPad. But, given the
"love" between google and apple, that bait may become stinky ...

I don't have many pet peeves when it comes to cliches, but that's one of
them.

Try "bated breath".

Hey, give the furriner a break. He couldn't have used the "stinky"
part without his misspelliung.

And no, C-Less, it is just a 3D model viewer which allows you pan, zoom,
and orbit around your model. Three actions that were heretofore
impossible to do outside SU on any device except a computer capable of
running the program itself.

Cool enough.

That's indeed progress ... besides, I can't imagine anyone wanting to
design any custom piece of cabinetry or furniture on anything less than
a computer capable of running the software, and with a mouse/pointing
device attached.

There's that. I was thinking of quick designs to grab new contracts
while in the field. (I process smaller potatoes than your org does,
and I've sold things from a sketch on a 3x5" paper notepad.)

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 7:58 AM, Han wrote:
Larry wrote in
:

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

Like someone said (I think elsewhere, and this is paraphrased), waiting
with baited breath for the port of Sketchup for the iPad. But, given the
"love" between google and apple, that bait may become stinky ...

iPad lacks the computing resources to pull it off. Maybe someday with
"heavily arms" iPads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:

iPad lacks the computing resources to pull it off. Maybe someday with
"heavily arms" iPads.

You would think woodworkers, of all people, would comprehend using the
right tool for the job.

No one who actually uses one, and is therefore familar with the purposes
for which an iPad is ideally suited, would consider wanting to use
Sketchup on one to "design".

An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 2, 4:04*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:

iPad lacks the computing resources to pull it off. Maybe someday with
"heavily arms" iPads.

You would think woodworkers, of all people, would comprehend using the
right tool for the job.

No one who actually uses one, and is therefore familar with the purposes
for which an iPad is ideally suited, would consider wanting to use
Sketchup on one to "design".

An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.
Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and
keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:

iPad lacks the computing resources to pull it off. Maybe someday with
"heavily arms" iPads.

You would think woodworkers, of all people, would comprehend using the
right tool for the job.

No one who actually uses one, and is therefore familar with the purposes
for which an iPad is ideally suited, would consider wanting to use
Sketchup on one to "design".

An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

Yeah, me, too. (You'd use a mallet, not a hammer, right?

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.
Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and
keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Grok that.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Now what's the problem......?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2011 4:58 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:04 pm, wrote:

An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.
Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and
keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Bingo!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

Yeah, me, too. *(You'd use a mallet, not a hammer, right? *

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.
Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and
keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Grok that.

Now what's the problem......?

No problem. You forgot what "grok" meant, dincha? OK, Toysie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok
To grok is to intimately and completely share the same reality or line
of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity. Author Robert
A. Heinlein coined the term in his best-selling 1961 book Stranger in
a Strange Land. In Heinlein's view, grokking is the intermingling of
intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the
observed. From the novel:

Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a
part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in
group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion,
philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our
Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought, but thanks for putting it out in the open again,
Larry. --
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 2, 4:04 pm, *wrote:
An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design
on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.
Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and
keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Bingo!

I'm not as dumb as I look, you know...well..how COULD I be?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in news:e23058d7-371f-4d80-9aa8-
:

I'm not as dumb as I look, you know...well..how COULD I be?

With such a lovely face? Naah, impossible ...

grinnik

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.

What's her reaction to it so far?

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 3:07*pm, Swingman wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and
I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the
potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job.

What's her reaction to it so far?

--www.ewoodshop.com

She loves it. Emai, weather, news, some medical apps, her entire
medication library, and Angry Birds.
She's not totally convinced it is going supplant her desire to feel
and smell a book, so as a reader, the jury is out.
With the funeral and the visitors from the US and other places, she
really hasn't had the time to snoop for aps.
So far she loves it and I'm sure it will grow on her more as it fits
in one of the side pockets of her lab-coat.