Victor

Default Humidor question

Howdy,
Relative newby here. I'm looking to make a humidor for my father in law
for Christmas. Anybody have advice? In particular, I'm not sure what kind
of finish to use that would hold up to the higher humidity and wouldn't have
the potential to change the taste of the cigars.

As for wood, I keep flip flopping, but a few candidates are maple and
walnut. I was also thinking of something more exotic, like zebrawood.
Anybody know of a reason why some woods would be better than others for this
particular project?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Victor

J. Clarke

Victor wrote:

Howdy,
Relative newby here. I'm looking to make a humidor for my father in
law
for Christmas. Anybody have advice? In particular, I'm not sure what
kind of finish to use that would hold up to the higher humidity and
wouldn't have the potential to change the taste of the cigars.

As for wood, I keep flip flopping, but a few candidates are maple and
walnut. I was also thinking of something more exotic, like zebrawood.
Anybody know of a reason why some woods would be better than others for
this particular project?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Spanish Cedar is the traditional wood for humidors--you can either make the
whole thing out of it or use it as lining.

Victor

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Don Sforza

Any wood that you would use for any box will do... as long as it's one that
YOU like. I'm working on a humidor in mahogany with a crotch mahogany veneer
for the top and bottom. The entire humidor is lined with Spanish cedar...
now THAT imparts a sweet smell to the cigars!
When the frost comes, I'll pull it out to get it finished... until then, I
play with my Alfa Spider.

"Victor" wrote in message
ink.net...
Howdy,
Relative newby here. I'm looking to make a humidor for my father in

law
for Christmas. Anybody have advice? In particular, I'm not sure what

kind
of finish to use that would hold up to the higher humidity and wouldn't

have
the potential to change the taste of the cigars.

As for wood, I keep flip flopping, but a few candidates are maple and
walnut. I was also thinking of something more exotic, like zebrawood.
Anybody know of a reason why some woods would be better than others for

this
particular project?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Victor

CW

Spain?

"Dave" wrote in message
Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner?
Thanks

Paul O.

"Dave" wrote in message
Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner?
Thanks

If you have a Rockler's wood working store near you try there, that's where

I've gotten mine.
--
Paul O.

Ed G

"Dave" wrote in message
Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner?
Thanks

snip!

Any mail-order wood supplier will probably have Spanish Cedar in the cuts
and sized you want.

Ed

Carter

Most hardwood suppliers also carry spanish cedar, just make sure you
confirm that it is spanish cedar as regular cedar will ruin your cigars.
Another option some humidor manufactures use for interior liners is
Honduran Mahogany. In my opinion it doesn't age cigars as well, but if
your just building a small personal unit, then aging probably isn't your
highest priority.

For myself I converted an old solid oak 1900's ice box to a humidor. I
lined the interior with spanish cedar and made some spanish cedar
drawers for my loose cigars. Boy, it was a ton of work, but well worth
it. It holds about 1000 cigars and has computer humidity control. If
anyone's interested you can view it on my personal site at the following
address:
http://pweb.netcom.com/~raptorlp/humidor.html

Lee
Carter Products

Dave wrote:
Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner?
Thanks

igor

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:13:08 -0400, Carter
wrote:

Most hardwood suppliers also carry spanish cedar, just make sure you
confirm that it is spanish cedar as regular cedar will ruin your cigars.
Another option some humidor manufactures use for interior liners is
Honduran Mahogany. In my opinion it doesn't age cigars as well, but if
your just building a small personal unit, then aging probably isn't your
highest priority.

For myself I converted an old solid oak 1900's ice box to a humidor. I
lined the interior with spanish cedar and made some spanish cedar
drawers for my loose cigars. Boy, it was a ton of work, but well worth
it. It holds about 1000 cigars and has computer humidity control. If
anyone's interested you can view it on my personal site at the following
address:
http://pweb.netcom.com/~raptorlp/humidor.html

Thanks for the link. Brilliant concept and brilliant execution. I've
looked at all sorts of humidors for years, and while some are very pretty,
your icebox is much more. Have you considered a whole series in this
style? You might even be able to get some sort of design protection.

BTW, the STAEBELL & ASSOCIATES link seems broken.

Carter

Alas I cannot claim origination of the ice box humidor, as I derived the
original idea from someone who had done something similar to an ice box
of their own. They however did not modify their ice box at all. They
only used the it for storage and didn't bother to line it with anything
or make any alternative form of storage. It seemed to be just a semi
sealed place to store boxes of cigars for them, but their idea triggered
the woodworker in me to take it to the next level, which I believe I did.

I've deleted the broken link as I couldn't find his new one.

Lee
Carter Products Company