Jim

Default Making a hardwood curved stage

Hey guys

I have a 'stage' for my home theater project that is about 11' wide and is
curved...about 2 feet deep in the middle and 1 foot on the ends.

First off, I know how to physically make the curved cut, I issue is how to
do with and look like hardwood...either solid without seams or hardwood
flooring strip look..and get the edge treatment right, now on to the
questions:

- My best case is a solid piece of hardwood...red oak for example...with
bullnose front edge...this could also be hardwood strips like a floor if
necessary.

For this idea, big radius to make from solid piece with router or jigsaw
since it would require at least 12" x 11' piece and a lot of waste. I guess
I could use hardwood flooring and then cut the curve and round over the
upper edge or put on a molding that is thin enough to curve but a finished
solid piece would be better.

I could try to get a hardwood shop to manufacture this I guess.

- Second idea...use MDF and veneer....well...does someone sell longer sheets
of veneer then 8'? using a 2' x 11' piece veneer would be great...but still
leaves the outer edge...my wife would prefer not a square edge, but bull
nose or other edge treatment or the molding option again. Other option is
veneered plywood but I havent seen 11' foot veneered plywood either.

My fall back is just MDF and paint...my initial idea was to carpet it...wife
doesnt like that idea.

- I am thinking as I type that using hardwood flooring maybe my best bet and
use a thin oak molding to wrap around the curve....getting a REALLY nice
curve cut would be nerve wracking....or I get a finish molding that just
overlaps the top surface to hid the joint. hmmmm..

Help?
Thanks
Jim

Frank Ketchum

"Jim" wrote in message

I have a 'stage' for my home theater project that is about 11' wide and is
curved...about 2 feet deep in the middle and 1 foot on the ends.

First off, I know how to physically make the curved cut, I issue is how to
do with and look like hardwood...either solid without seams or hardwood
flooring strip look..and get the edge treatment right, now on to the
questions:

If I understand what you want correctly, the vertical portion is the portion
which would need to be curved and the cap will be cut with a radius to cover
it.

You don't want to do this out of a solid block. What you want is to bend
the hardwood. Bend? It's not as hard as it sounds. What you want to do is
a lamination glue up. Get your stock that you want to use and resaw it on a
bandsaw (resawing is passing the wood through on edge to create wide, thin
boards). If you resaw your wood into several thin strips, (maybe 1/8"
thick) you can glue them back together around a curved form to give you a
curved front. This will appear as a solid piece of wood and is the normal
way of doing this sort of thing.

Maybe buy book that describes the process in detail if you are unfamiliar
with it. You may also be able to get a mill to mill the boards into the
thin strips if you need.

Good luck
Frank

Jim

I dont think I am understood correctly.

I just want to cover the surface of this stage....it is like a riser ....one
step up from the floor. it comes out from the wall and has a constant curve
(matching soffit above at ceiling). Horizontal floor surface on this stage.
The front edge is curved at a constant radius. I am thinking I just use
hardwood flooring and trim the strips off at my radius and wrap it with a
thin hardwood molding.

thx

--
Jim
"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

default

I dont think I am understood correctly.

I just want to cover the surface of this stage....it is like a riser ....one
step up from the floor. it comes out from the wall and has a constant curve
(matching soffit above at ceiling). Horizontal floor surface on this stage.
The front edge is curved at a constant radius. I am thinking I just use
hardwood flooring and trim the strips off at my radius and wrap it with a
thin hardwood molding.

Just nail planking on top of it so that it overhangs by an inch or more, and
then
trim it off to fit with a router bit.

Jim

think I should do it parallel with the wall (e.g. long direction) or
diagonal? I think straight out from wall wouldnt look good...if I do it long
direction, the last board will be a sliver at the peak of the stage/radius.

--
Jim
"default" wrote in message

I dont think I am understood correctly.

I just want to cover the surface of this stage....it is like a riser

.....one
step up from the floor. it comes out from the wall and has a constant

curve
(matching soffit above at ceiling). Horizontal floor surface on this

stage.
The front edge is curved at a constant radius. I am thinking I just use
hardwood flooring and trim the strips off at my radius and wrap it with

thin hardwood molding.

Just nail planking on top of it so that it overhangs by an inch or more,

and
then
trim it off to fit with a router bit.

Joe Gorman

Start from the edge that will show, or at least measure and cut the
first(wall) board thinner, rather than the last. This way the front piece
should be several feet wide given the shallow curve.
Joe