Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:33:40 -0700 (PDT), busbus
wrote:

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I have one of their smaller compressors and it works fine for my
needs.

You should ask on the Welding Web forum http://weldingweb.com/ where
they have branches for "HF tools that don't suck" and "HF tools that
suck". There's probably someone there who has used this compressor.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

busbus wrote the following:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I have no experience with that large one, but the smaller one works.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor. Feeling
lucky?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
CW wrote:
...snipped...
150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor. Feeling
lucky?

Yes, it would be _so_much_better_ to buy one from Campbell Hausfield,
Husky, or some other name-brand- ALSO made in China!

To the OP:

I can't speak for that particular compressor but I have used one of their
smaller 8 gal horizontal tank models for weekend warrior use for about
6 years now without trouble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor. Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote the following:
In article ,
CW wrote:
...snipped...

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor. Feeling
lucky?

Yes, it would be _so_much_better_ to buy one from Campbell Hausfield,
Husky, or some other name-brand- ALSO made in China!

I replaced my CH compressor which died, with a HF compressor. I figured
the cheaper price offsets the assumed longevity of the more expensive
compressors.
My CH compressor was only used for topping off tires and pool equipment.

To the OP:

I can't speak for that particular compressor but I have used one of their
smaller 8 gal horizontal tank models for weekend warrior use for about
6 years now without trouble.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my
life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor.
Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote the following:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my
life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are
though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor.
Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?

Bill

Chinese stuff is presumed to be crap, like Japanese stuff was in the 50s.
Does he know that Japanese products, like US products, have been
outsourced to China for years?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 1:33*pm, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. *I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...25-psi-cast-ir...

I am not a big HF fan, but I have had pretty good luck with some of
their stuff. I have had one of their $99 special mortise machines for
several years. The hold down hardware sucks but the machine has
plenty of power and cuts square holes and slots with help of clamps.
I have some of their smaller tools that work well. 18 Gage nailer
won't wear out -- $20.

No air compressor experience.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I have one of their smaller compressors and it works fine for my
needs.

I have one of their 47065 (4.65 peak horsies on 120v giggle, 21
gallon vertical) compressors and it works fine. 2+ years old, not used
a whole lot, doesn't leak much. They're loud but serviceable
beasties.

If I had it to do over, I might buy a pump, motor, and tank
separately, for improved CFM.

This looks like the same comp, rebadged with TALL AD LETTERING.
Same price/capacity.

WOW, HF now has a gasoline powered compressor for $599.
http://goo.gl/Tu8u2 Has anyone used one yet?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

For a broader view, check out Harbor Freight Reviews (not affiliated with
the company).

http://hfreviews.com/

For example, their pancake compressor got a 4-out-of-5 review.

On the other hand, if you buy it and it doesn't meet your expectations, take
it back for a full refund. HF has a VERY liberal returns policy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...25-psi-cast-ir...

I am not a big HF fan, but I have had pretty good luck with some of
their stuff. I have had one of their $99 special mortise machines for
several years. The hold down hardware sucks but the machine has
plenty of power and cuts square holes and slots with help of clamps.
I have some of their smaller tools that work well. 18 Gage nailer
won't wear out -- $20.

No air compressor experience.

Ron

I have one of their small tire inflators, It normally went for about
$29, but was on special for $15. I have been using it for several years
now and am completely happy with it. Its volume is good and while I use
it principally for my JD garden tractor, I have used it on my van which
has 40psi in the tires.

I would recommend it to anyone who asked.

While I have bought other things at HF and never been disappointed, this
is the only electrical tool I have.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06/10/2011 07:39 PM, k-nuttle wrote:
On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional
brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. On sale
and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Noisy, but works great.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

That'd be 5th wheel...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

==========

I am thinking this unit looks exactly like the unit I purchased a few years
ago under the Campbell and Hausfeld brand name.

The units works well but the noise will drive you out of house and home!! I
have the unit in my garage and if it kicks in while in the garage you would
jump out of your skin. I am so glad I wear earmuffs while operating my mitre
saw when it kicks in or I would probably have cut my hand off by now. I have
thought of boxing it in when I move it to a more permanent place and sound
insulate the monster. I know my EU2000i Honda Generator will not start it,
run it yes but not start it again...big electric surge!

Knowing the noise factor I would look for another unit. Some of the newer
pancake units are half the noise and quarter the size.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:32:17 -0400, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my
life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor.
Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?

I haven't checked the stats, but my SWAG is that 98.99% of tanks
develop pinhole leaks which expand, )1% blow at the seams sans
shrapnel, and the other 0.01% have pressure relief valves stick (how
much overpressure can a cheap pump put out, anyway?) and they actually
explode, hurting someone. Here's the nastiest one I could find in ten
minutes. giggle http://goo.gl/I5ab8

Seam ruptures on a 21 gallon tank put (15psia empty, 150psi full) 210
gallons of air into the shop in a short amount of time, blowing out
the windows and making the ears smart a bit, wot?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
snip
I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional
brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. On sale
and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Noisy, but works great.

That'd be 5th wheel...

Would you believe my old brain actually read that as "5th wheel" the
first time? I had to go back to see what you were correcting.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Tried to play my shoehorn... all I got
was footnotes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 2:33*pm, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. *I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...25-psi-cast-ir...

bought oe of their pancake compressors - for a spare, light-duty work
at a "second" shop. But would buy a Porter Cable (had for nearly ten
years now doing lots of projects without issues) or similar for my
first pancake compressor. I had a 30G Craftsman that has lasted twenty
years ad still looks new and works just fine. Must admit that I am not
a contractor, just a hobbyist.

WARNING, HFT Heat Guns suck. Not only suck air in the rear and blow it
out hot from the front as you might expect, but fail with very little
use. On my second unit and it hasn't lasted six months! If you do get
one, beware teh duty cycle. I suspect it's less than thirty seconds of
continuous operating at High Heat setting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 1:45*am, Larry Jaques
wot?

Problem is, that when people try to imagine what an air tank failure
would look like, their imaginations become filled with fuel/grenade/
gasoline/actionmoviebull**** type explosions.

The escape of normal (135psig?) air pressure out of a failed metal
tank will not be accompanied by a full perimeter failure releasing a
rather benign quantity of stored energy. It will release in a fart-
like measured amount.
It will be a big howling puff, but no bang, and any **** flying will
be because of the startle factor, not due to released energy.

For giggles, my mechanic and his friends hooked up a motorcycle inner
tube to a 165psig line in a garage and just let it get bigger and
bigger. So big in fact that a huge hernia appeared which became almost
see-through thin. When it failed, it made a bang, much louder than a
balloon, but not mortar launch grade. The flying remnants did knock
over a beer, much to the chagrin of one the participants. Yes alcohol
was involved. No blown-out windows. The hose-end with the metal nipple
did fly around for quite a while till the main valve was shut off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:33:52 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 11, 1:45Â*am, Larry Jaques
wot?

NOW yer snippin'.

Problem is, that when people try to imagine what an air tank failure
would look like, their imaginations become filled with fuel/grenade/
gasoline/actionmoviebull**** type explosions.

Like watching the guy plant a single ounce of C4 with a detanator and
then seeing (and hearing) seventeen discrete charges blow up the
house, all from 3 angles? Yeah, that's them.

The escape of normal (135psig?) air pressure out of a failed metal
tank will not be accompanied by a full perimeter failure releasing a
rather benign quantity of stored energy. It will release in a fart-
like measured amount.
It will be a big howling puff, but no bang, and any **** flying will
be because of the startle factor, not due to released energy.

Wow, whose farts make your ears pop? No...I don't want to know.
Maybe I _won't_ visit Canada.

For giggles, my mechanic and his friends hooked up a motorcycle inner
tube to a 165psig line in a garage and just let it get bigger and
bigger. So big in fact that a huge hernia appeared which became almost
see-through thin. When it failed, it made a bang, much louder than a
balloon, but not mortar launch grade. The flying remnants did knock
over a beer, much to the chagrin of one the participants. Yes alcohol
was involved. No blown-out windows. The hose-end with the metal nipple
did fly around for quite a while till the main valve was shut off.

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. But the point is made.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 12:14*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. *But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 12:44*pm, Angela Sekeris wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:14*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. *But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

I HAVE TO learn to check and see who the hell used this laptop
last......
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/11 12:45 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:32:17 -0400, wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You're using paintball guns for your air tools?

Seam ruptures on a 21 gallon tank put (15psia empty, 150psi full) 210
gallons of air into the shop in a short amount of time, blowing out
the windows and making the ears smart a bit, wot?

No. Weakest link in the chain (hole) breaks first, not the whole chain.
The hole blows out the pressure. Worst that can happen is is shoots
across the room like a rocket, not an explosion.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:44:59 -0700 (PDT), Angela Sekeris
wrote:

On Jun 11, 12:14Â*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. Â*But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

Hi, Angie. Have Toy take some nice pictures and email 'em, OK?
Say, after 2 bars? wink

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:52:47 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 11, 12:44Â*pm, Angela Sekeris wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:14Â*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. Â*But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

I HAVE TO learn to check and see who the hell used this laptop
last......

Wait until you see my last reply, suckah!
gd&r

P.S: ...but if she's up for it...

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Used to do mechanical QA on tubing. We pumped it full of liquid until it
burst. One end was fixed and the other plugged and free and the whole mess
was in a shrapnel proof cabinet. Goal was to get the burst pressure which,
for the stuff we were testing, was in the neighborhood of 35,000 psi. First
time I did one I got to 60,000 psi and pinholed. Let it sit for a while
dropping, then it stopped around 50,000. Couldn't find the pressure release
valve and hunted down the boss. Deal was you took an asbestos glove and
wrench, reached in the cabinet and eased off the fixture until the fluid
escaped at the fixed end. Told him I didn't sign up for that ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:

I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional
brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. *On sale
and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-com...

Noisy, but works great.

I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchan...sor-95499.html

I got it for $60, so if it lasts a year or two, I have to be ahead of
the game. I will be using it to inflate tires and basketballs and
such plus a new roof. If it lasts thru the roof, anyways, I will have
gotten my money's worth. It is a noisy little bugger but I can deal
with it for 60 bucks.

I know it is a Chinese throwaway tool and, yes, it will certainly
develop a leak sooner rather than later but I have no fears that it
will explode. There is a relief valve and it works just peachy. Why
are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never
happen? I know the quality is not top notch but if these things
failed and actually BLEW UP, then I don't think HF would still be
around. Nor would Crapsman or Campbell-Hausfeld or just about any
company!

busbus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:14Â*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. Â*But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

Hi, Angie. Have Toy take some nice pictures and email 'em, OK?
Say, after 2 bars? Â*wink

Weiner style?

I don't think I want to know what you meant by that.

I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 12:04*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:14*pm, Larry Jaques

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a
compressor. *But the point is made.

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

Hi, Angie. Have Toy take some nice pictures and email 'em, OK?
Say, after 2 bars? *wink

Weiner style?

I don't think I want to know what you meant by that.

I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Herbert Spencer

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my
bag.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote the following:
On Jun 10, 2:33 pm, busbus wrote:

[...]

I have a more minutes of operation than seconds. Still works.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-11 23:15:04 -0400, busbus said:

Why
are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never
happen?

You mean, like, why the hell do we let TSA get away with their
nonsensical empire-building?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/11 10:15 PM, busbus wrote:
Why are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never
happen?

busbus

Statistically or physically.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:36:27 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 12, 12:04Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my
bag.

"Ang and me", and where the -hell- are thos pics? g

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:55:24 -0400, Steve

On 2011-06-11 23:15:04 -0400, busbus said:

Why
are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never
happen?

You mean, like, why the hell do we let TSA get away with their
nonsensical empire-building? ^^^

I think you misspelled "The Government", Steve. And Homeland Security
owns the TSA.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my
bag.

"Ang and me", and where the -hell- are thos pics? *g

Ang and I need to go through and select which pictures are
publishable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:53:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my
bag.

"Ang and me", and where the -hell- are thos pics? Â*g

Ang and I need to go through and select which pictures are
publishable.

I want copies of those which AREN'T, got it? evil grinne

--
You are today where your thoughts have brought you;
you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-13 11:26:06 -0400, Larry Jaques
said:

I think you misspelled "The Government", Steve. And Homeland Security
owns the TSA.

Ok, maybe I was giving TSA too much credit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You should ask on the Welding Web forum http://weldingweb.com/ where
they have branches for "HF tools that don't suck" and "HF tools that
suck". There's probably someone there who has used this compressor.

Rumor mill says that HF vacuum cleaners are one of the few pieces of
power equipment on the _first_ list. *grin*