Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Semi-gloat

I've had it with gasoline engines, their myriad parts, and (at least some)
maintenance. So when I saw an electric mower advertised on my local
Craigslist for twenty bucks (!), I jumped on it.

The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground wire.
No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky yellow
color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

But it works swell!

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined up.
In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

I just have to be careful where I'm mowing - I don't think running over the
extension cord would be a good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
I've had it with gasoline engines, their myriad parts, and (at least some)
maintenance. So when I saw an electric mower advertised on my local
Craigslist for twenty bucks (!), I jumped on it.

The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground
wire. No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky
yellow color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

I have an idea they were made in OZ during the 50's, they also made a twin
bladed model

But it works swell!

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined
up. In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

I just have to be careful where I'm mowing - I don't think running over
the extension cord would be a good idea.

Hey, you are not supposed to mow backward, if you do, then you run over the
cord,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
I've had it with gasoline engines, their myriad parts, and (at least some)
maintenance. So when I saw an electric mower advertised on my local
Craigslist for twenty bucks (!), I jumped on it.

The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground
wire. No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky
yellow color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

But it works swell!

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined
up. In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

I just have to be careful where I'm mowing - I don't think running over
the extension cord would be a good idea.

Doesn't seem to matter. Took out a no ground wire cord with hedge trimmers
once. Took 15 minutes to discover the cord was cut and it wasn't some other
fault. The bushes were dense and the cord sorta blended in ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Are you the man who broke your leg in your back yard when you tripped over
the blended in power cord ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote:

Hey, you are not supposed to mow backward, if you do, then you run
over the cord,

Oooh! Good idea.

Beats my first thought of some overhead drop-down extension cord (think
clothesline with a pully or a cable-type dog run).

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
...snipped...
The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground wire.
No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky yellow
color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

But it works swell!

...snipped...

When my family first moved to suburbia and the old manual push mower
just wouldn't cut it anymore (well. actually, it _would_ cut it but
it was just too much work) my Dad bought an electric Sunbeam mower. As I
recall it was blue and silver in color. This was around 1967. I mowed the
lawn many many times with that thing. It lasted quite a while too, maybe
15 years, well after I had moved out of the house. The deck finally
corroded through and there was nothing left to support the motor.

I remember that thing sounded like a jet engine, except that unlike
a jet, it came up to full RPM in a fraction of a second. It was a really
tough machine. My father looked for one just like it but there was nothing
comparable being produced. He did buy another Sunbeam, but it was a cheaply
made, lightweight POS compared to the old one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 22:00:27 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I've had it with gasoline engines, their myriad parts, and (at least some)
maintenance. So when I saw an electric mower advertised on my local
Craigslist for twenty bucks (!), I jumped on it.

The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground wire.
No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky yellow
color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

But it works swell!

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined up.
In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

I just have to be careful where I'm mowing - I don't think running over the
extension cord would be a good idea.

I used an electric mower (from Sears, I think) when I was in high
school becuase it was my Dad's choice. If you need more than 50 feet
of extension cord, it becomes an art to lay out long sections of cord
to get the most area cut with the least cord movement.

I think some of the Sunbeam mowers had a "flip-over" handle so you
could cut in the "other" direction by flipping the handle to the other
side and walking around to it instead of turning the mower around and
needing to flip the cord out of the way.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 7:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
George W Frost wrote:

Hey, you are not supposed to mow backward, if you do, then you run
over the cord,

Oooh! Good idea.

Beats my first thought of some overhead drop-down extension cord (think
clothesline with a pully or a cable-type dog run).

Solar power retrofit with several deep-cycle golf cart batteries. You
might be able to get an energy conservation tax break. An added
advantage is that the mower will be self-propelled as long as you
remember to mow downhill.

If your property is dead flat and square - you live in Texas, right? -
rig a drive wheel off of the shaft so it is self-propelled, stick a
stake in the middle of the lawn and tie a cord to the mower and let
the mower cut an ever decreasing spiral until the lawn is fully mowed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
The picture is from an auction in Michigan. The winner got the
machine for TEN BUCKS!

I was robbed!

I don't think so. There is no cord attached.

I think you would need one with that one.

-

My mower didn't come with a cord either.

In fact, I had to scrounge around to find an extension cord that would fit
in the mower's power recess. This mower was manufactured before ground wires
were invented, so an ordinary extension cord simply could not be pressed
into the cavity containing the male plug.

Truely, it's an adventure to be operating an electrical device devoid of a
ground wire or polarized plug - and not even double insulated!

A thrill-a-minute, I tell you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

The picture is from an auction in Michigan. The winner got the
machine for TEN BUCKS!

I was robbed!

I don't think so. There is no cord attached.

I think you would need one with that one.

-

My mower didn't come with a cord either.

In fact, I had to scrounge around to find an extension cord that would fit
in the mower's power recess. This mower was manufactured before ground wires
were invented, so an ordinary extension cord simply could not be pressed
into the cavity containing the male plug.

Truely, it's an adventure to be operating an electrical device devoid of a
ground wire or polarized plug - and not even double insulated!

A thrill-a-minute, I tell you!

Back around 1984-85, I used to travel down into Westwood, NJ to mow my
aunt's small lawn (she was a widow with no kids) . She had an electric
mower which was a PITA to operate. It had a long (maybe 25') orange
electrical cord, so it didn't blend in with the green grass. .I hated
it. After I used it a couple of times, I started bringing my own gas
powered mower to do the job.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:

My mower didn't come with a cord either.

In fact, I had to scrounge around to find an extension cord that
would fit in the mower's power recess. This mower was manufactured
before ground wires were invented, so an ordinary extension cord
simply could not be pressed into the cavity containing the male plug.

Truely, it's an adventure to be operating an electrical device
devoid of a ground wire or polarized plug - and not even double
insulated! A thrill-a-minute, I tell you!

Back around 1984-85, I used to travel down into Westwood, NJ to mow my
aunt's small lawn (she was a widow with no kids) . She had an electric
mower which was a PITA to operate. It had a long (maybe 25') orange
electrical cord, so it didn't blend in with the green grass. .I hated
it. After I used it a couple of times, I started bringing my own gas
powered mower to do the job.

On the other hand, I'll no longer have to go get gas; the power company
delivers electricty right to my home!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/2011 8:00 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've had it with gasoline engines, their myriad parts, and (at least some)
maintenance. So when I saw an electric mower advertised on my local
Craigslist for twenty bucks (!), I jumped on it.

The machine was made by SUNBEAM, sometime in the 50s or 60s! No ground wire.
No polarized plug. Sounds like the hinges on the gates of hell. Icky yellow
color and one of the wheels is held in place by a nail instead of a
cotter-ping.

But it works swell!

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined up.
In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

I just have to be careful where I'm mowing - I don't think running over the
extension cord would be a good idea.

....yeah, Santa Barbara is a definite downturn compared to Houston. Gotta
be crazy to move *there*...

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 6:32*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 30, 7:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

George W Frost wrote:

Hey, you are not supposed to mow backward, if you do, then you run
over the cord,

Oooh! Good idea.

Beats my first thought of some overhead drop-down extension cord (think
clothesline with a pully or a cable-type dog run).

Solar power retrofit with several deep-cycle golf cart batteries. *You
might be able to get an energy conservation tax break. *An added
advantage is that the mower will be self-propelled as long as you
remember to mow downhill.

If your property is dead flat and square - you live in Texas, right? -
rig a drive wheel off of the shaft so it is self-propelled, stick a
stake in the middle of the lawn and tie a cord to the mower and let
the mower cut an ever decreasing spiral until the lawn is fully mowed.

You mean.. like the flight of the WhiffleSnipe?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 11:20*pm, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

You rode your mower from Hamptonburgh to Westwood???? I call bull****.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/11 1:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On May 30, 11:20 pm, wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

He did it at 100 MPH in traffic too :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On May 30, 11:20 pm, wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

My mower went 100 MPH in traffic once. It was in the back of a Corvette
(it's amazing what you can fit in an '84 Corvette) but it went 100 MPH
in traffic.

Not sure why you think that someone would have to ride their mower from
one location to another. A walk behind will fit in the trunk of any
decent sized car, and a rider will fit in the bed to even a small pickup
truck or can be towed on a cheap trailer.

What I can't figure out is why anyone would want the cord to "blend with
the grass".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 2:43*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On May 30, 11:20 pm, *wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

A walk behind... wiishak can walk 100 MPH??? Naaaa...

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

WTF is your problem with me Robatoy?
There is a Westwood in NJ. It is about a 1 hour drive from me.
The mower was put in the trunk of my car. Yes, I did have to leave the
trunk lid open.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote the following:

On May 30, 11:20 pm, wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

..and NO accident!

Lights and siren seem to move people out of the way.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote the following:
In article , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On May 30, 11:20 pm, wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the voice of reason.
The other guy said the cord blended into the grass. The one I mowed with had an orange cord and I assume my Aunt did not buy the cord separately. It was a walk behind, not a rider.
It was the first time I used an electric mower.
I don't know where the others got the impression that I rode the mower to Westwood, NJ.
I can only assume they have a reading comprehension disability.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:
[...]

As long as you you were careful not to mow anyone down...

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 11:20 pm, *wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Sorry Bill, I was just being a douchebag.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 11:20 pm, wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Ok Robatoy. Thanks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Robatoy seems to have a problem with just about anybody who says
something that he doesn't agree with.

Personally I killfiled the jackass a long time ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 8:15*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Which is why you know that I have a problem with those who disagrees
with me... you killfiled me..yea right.
You and willshak need a sense-of-humour adjustment.... frikkin' stick-
in-the-muds...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/11 1:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You rode your mower from Hamptonburgh to Westwood???? I call
bull****.

He did it at 100 MPH in traffic too :-)

Hey - dont' be laughing too loudly. A friend of mine locally, operates a
race track for riding mowers. The upper classes run the track at 70mph. On
a freakin' lawn mower! Seriously cool to watch the races. It's like
Saturday Night Stock Car Racing, only smaller.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Sorry Bill, I was just being a douchebag.

Douchebag!

There - take that...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
Robatoy wrote the following:

You rode your mower from Hamptonburgh to Westwood???? I call
bull****.

WTF is your problem with me Robatoy?
There is a Westwood in NJ. It is about a 1 hour drive from me.
The mower was put in the trunk of my car. Yes, I did have to leave the
trunk lid open.

Psssstttt... I think he was joking. Around here we call him the Merry
Prankster. Or, the Fairy Wankster. Or... Oh hell, does anyone know what
we call him? Do we call him anything? Damned I hate not being able to
remember these things...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Groh wrote:

...yeah, Santa Barbara is a definite downturn compared to Houston.
Gotta be crazy to move *there*...

Didn't mean to be so cruel. The lawnmower seller told me residential rentals
are going for $3/sq ft, then there's the state income tax, a fifty-cent
premium on gasoline, and other expenses making California an much more
expensive place to live.

Heck, I'll bet the city of Santa Barbara even has ZONING (shudder)!

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote the following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

I meant sticks-in-the-mud...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On the other hand, I'll no longer have to go get gas; the power
company delivers electricty right to my home!

They don't here.

I wonder. Do you have to take your own containers to the electric store or
do they provide sacks or something?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 2, 7:08*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

On the other hand, I'll no longer have to go get gas; the power
company delivers electricty right to my home!

They don't here.

I wonder. Do you have to take your own containers to the electric store or
do they provide sacks or something?

Vacuum bottles. And because of safety concerns, you have to buy a new
stopper every 2 years.
You also need a special license if you want to carry 240 volt 3 phase.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 05:25:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:08Â*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

On the other hand, I'll no longer have to go get gas; the power
company delivers electricty right to my home!

They don't here.

I wonder. Do you have to take your own containers to the electric store or
do they provide sacks or something?

Vacuum bottles. And because of safety concerns, you have to buy a new
stopper every 2 years.
You also need a special license if you want to carry 240 volt 3 phase.

And, no doubt, 3 separate vacuum bottles. You Canucks are in the Dark
Ages, I swear. It's a wonder you can produce any bananas at all.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" writes:

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined up.
In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

Now _that_ is a gloat. Moving from the armpit of the southeast
to one of the most beautiful places on earth.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Scott Lurndal wrote:
"HeyBub" writes:

I don't think the person from whom I bought it had all his marbles lined up.
In addition to selling a functional mower for cheap, he's moving from
Houston to Santa Barbara.

Now _that_ is a gloat. Moving from the armpit of the southeast
to one of the most beautiful places on earth.

scott

As someone who lives in an Atlantic coastal state, south of the Mason-Dixon
line, I have a real problem with characterizing Houston as being in the
"southeast." I don't argue with the "armpit" part, though.

Semi Gloat Tina Woodworking 15 July 3rd 06 08:29 PM
Semi-gloat (red oak) Kiwanda Woodworking 3 May 22nd 06 05:48 PM
Semi Gloat Ian Dodd Woodworking 2 September 13th 04 05:58 PM
Scroll Saw Semi-Gloat? solarman Woodworking 4 December 2nd 03 05:53 AM