Leon

Default Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits?

"Carlos Moreno" wrote in message
. ..

Hi,

I'm wondering about the difference between these types of
router bits; do they fit in general with any router? Or
are the 1/2 bits exclusively to be used with industrial-
grade machinery?

1/2" bits will fit most any average sized and larger decent router. You
have a very decent router.
The 1/2" bits are sturdier and should not cost more to buy as same profile
1/4" bits start off from the same sizes stock that the 1/2" bits are made
from.
I buy 1/2" bits when ever possable.

I just got a Bosch 1617EVSPK (a 2.25 HP, with variable
speed, soft-start, and I think servo-controlled speed).
I don't have a router table (not planning to get one in
the near future, due to limited space), is there anything
special I have to look for? Anything to avoid?

I'm aiming at something of good quality, but not the
top-of-the-line state-of-the-art bits, which I presume
would cost me a fortune.

IMHO you should get the best bit that you can afford for your most commonly
used selection. Buy the bits as you need them. Boxed sets are usually a
good value ONLY if you need all of the bits in the set. Otherwise, the
extra bits may set for years with out being used. Typically you want round
over bits, Ogee bits, and straight bits for hand held use. Avoid LARGE
profile bits untill you get a router table.

CMT, Amana, Jesada, Freud, and Whiteside make very good bits. I'm sure
there are others.

I'm thinking of ordering some bits from LeeValley
(online). Are those good?

I have never used Lee Valley bits but Lee Valley is a great company to deal
with. If you are not happy with your purchase, they will gladly and
promptly make it right at their expense.

B a r r y

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:16:47 -0400, Carlos Moreno
wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering about the difference between these types of
router bits; do they fit in general with any router? Or
are the 1/2 bits exclusively to be used with industrial-
grade machinery?

I always choose 1/2" bits when possible. There is less chance of the
shaft bending or flexing under stress and affecting the cut quality.

I just got a Bosch 1617EVSPK (a 2.25 HP, with variable
speed, soft-start, and I think servo-controlled speed).
I don't have a router table (not planning to get one in
the near future, due to limited space), is there anything
special I have to look for? Anything to avoid?

I have several of the same router and have gotten excellent results
with them, both in and out of a table. Some folks have had switches
go bad, but mine have been fine so far.

I'm aiming at something of good quality, but not the
top-of-the-line state-of-the-art bits, which I presume
would cost me a fortune.

Buy them as you need them, and buy the best. Kits are rarely a good
value, as you may never use some of the bits. I prefer Whiteside and
CMT bits, but occasionally will buy a cheaper bit for a one-off use.
What scares me the most with cheap bits is the weld quality. A loose
piece of carbide at 25,000 RPM is not cool! G

I'm thinking of ordering some bits from LeeValley
(online). Are those good?

I haven't used them, but LV has an excellent return policy. I
wouldn't worry about trying any of their products.

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Carlos Moreno"
I'm thinking of ordering some bits from LeeValley
(online). Are those good?

They are a decent bit. I have a few of them and no problem at all.

I have the same router, but mounted in a table. I agree with the others
about the 1/2" bit. You have more surface area for the collet to grab onto,
as well as being stronger.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Carlos Moreno

Thanks to all that replied for your comments and advice!

Cheers,

Carlos