Tiny Tim

Default Painted Plywood for Outdoor Planter?

Went shopping at the garden center with SWMBO. She sees a nice planter
box and trellis, and gets that look in her eye. I am a relative newbie,
but I understand when those tools in the basement had better get to work
- payback time.

So, I'm building a planter box with a trellis behind it.

Approx Dimensions: box 18"H x 29"W x 18"D with a 54" tall trellis
attached at the back. It will hold two 12" round plastic pots. I'm
also going to hang a 6" x 12" planter off of the trellis.

The idea is similar to one I saw in Wood Magazine, but I'm adding the
trellis. Basic construction: a four-sided 3/4" plywood box with no top
and no bottom. The planters will rest on cross bracing of 2 x 4s. The
exterior will look like a blanket chest with a hole in the top with legs
being fake stiles and rails (of pine). The Trellis will be pine and
screwed to the back legs.

I'm thinking actual 1" x 2" supports with 1" wide by 1/2" thick half-
lapped grid trellis.

I was originally thinking 1 1/2" x 2" for the suports, but it looked a
little chunky. All of this will be primed and painted white.

Questions:
1. Since it is all going to be primed and painted, can I go
with normal plywood or do I need something special? Wood Magazine used
MDO, but I'm looking for an alternative. Someone suggested vertical
siding, but I want it smooth, not fake tongue and groove.

2. Do you think this thing will stand up to reasonable wind and
storms or is my trellis going to sway and bow like crazy?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
BRuce

plywood will be fine, look at all the "yard art" out there and it is
holding up well. i would cap the top edge of the plywood. as for the
trellis, I would use 3/4" square and no lap, SS screw it together or
glue with titebond III.

--
---

BRuce
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Tiny Tim wrote:
[...]

'exterior' grade ply (a waterproof glue construct) strongly recommended.

2. Do you think this thing will stand up to reasonable wind and
storms or is my trellis going to sway and bow like crazy?

Yes. "One of the above." Either it will stand up, or it will sway and bow.
grin

Greg

As a pontoon boat owner (salt water) I know a little about plywood out in the
weather. The real trick is to be very sure the edges are sealed well. That is
where plywood starts to fail. Start with a good outdoor grade paint, thinned a
little and soak the edges. I used a small roller and kept going around the
sheets until it couldn't possibly take another drop. Let that cure up well and
give it another coat. My plywood deck is still OK after 14 years.
I did use MDO.