Ah10201

Default how to cut a mirror?

hi...

is there any type of mirror or mirror substitute that I can cut with a jig or
scroll saw? I want to make decorative pieces for the interior of a jewelry box.

thanks...

Greg

I guess it depends on how intricate the cuts are. Folks who do stained glass do
some pretty complicated cuts. You just need a good pistol grip cutter that
feeds oil to the wheel and clean the glass before you start.
Herman Family

My favorite way to cut a mirror, or any glass is to zip down to the glass
cutter's shop, and have him do it. For some reason, his cuts come out a lot
better than mine.

Michael
"Greg" wrote in message
I guess it depends on how intricate the cuts are. Folks who do stained

glass do
some pretty complicated cuts. You just need a good pistol grip cutter that
feeds oil to the wheel and clean the glass before you start.

wch

I'm with the first guy. Check your yeller pages under plastics suppliers.
You can get acrylic (plexiglas) mirror in up to 4x8foot sheets, usually 1/4"
thick but 1/8" might be available... I haven't been in that market for a few
years. Only thing about acrylic, though, is that it does scratch easily so
keep that in mind in your application.

Will

"Ah10201" wrote in message
hi...

is there any type of mirror or mirror substitute that I can cut with a jig

or
scroll saw? I want to make decorative pieces for the interior of a jewelry

box.

thanks...

Carl Olsen

I saw some polished aluminum mirrors at BOEING Surplus that would cut
nicely with just about any saw. I think they were polished aluminum
with a plastic backing.

For cutting glass mirrors, you can do so very nicely with an abrasive
waterjet. If this is of interest to you, then I suggest the following
web sites:

http://www.waterjets.org (general info and listings of shops that can
do the work for you..)

http://www.omax.com (equipment manufacturer with more info, and also
more shops to do the work for you.)

I suppose traditinal glass cutting methods would work well also, if
the shapes are simple.

- Carl
http://www.waterjets.org