How to fix a gouge in a table top?

Old November 29th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to fix a gouge in a table top?

Well, actually a series of gouges. The top of my wife's mother's
buffet cabinet was gouged during a move many years ago. Parts are
very deep. I have hesitated trying to fix this over the years because
it is out of my league. I have asked in the past if I could refinish
the entire dining room set as it is showing signs of wear and tear
over the years and she finally caved in over Thanksgiving and actually
asked if I would give it a shot.

The set is from about 1940 and is mahogany. This will be the first
big refinishing project I have ever done. I am partially excited
about it because the varnish is cracking and wearing off, mainly on
the tops and the backs of the chairs.

The biggest thing I have to deal with is that gouge. It is about six-
inches long and about 1/2" or so wide. How do I tackle that? Do I
fill it up with filler and then top it off with a shellac stick or
something? The good thing about this problem is that it is near the
back of the cabinet top and not on the front but, still, it is on the
top. I am a little scared to fill it only with putty as I have not
had much success with it as I can't seem to "hide" it even in small
areas, let alone a large one like this.

Also, anything else I should be on the look out for as I attempt to
refinish this? Any gotchas that I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Old November 29th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Is this a depression or a ripped out rough?

For a depression you could try the wet cloth and a steam iron to re-raise
the wood fibers.

after removing the finish get some wood filler that is snadabel and
stainable. Sand it off with the wood and then stain and finish it. You will
always see it but it gets quite hard to see when it is done from "scratch"
(Pun intended)

Old November 29th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Hello, Josepi,

This is ripped out rough. It is a lot worse than a depression. The
finish is all gone in that area and you can see the smashed wood
fibers, if you know what I mean.

busbus

Old November 29th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 10:44*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
busbus wrote:
Well, actually a series of gouges. *The top of my wife's mother's
buffet cabinet was gouged during a move many years ago. *Parts are
very deep. *I have hesitated trying to fix this over the years because
it is out of my league. *I have asked in the past if I could refinish
the entire dining room set as it is showing signs of wear and tear
over the years and she finally caved in over Thanksgiving and actually
asked if I would give it a shot.

The set is from about 1940 and is mahogany. *This will be the first
big refinishing project I have ever done. *I am partially excited
about it because the varnish is cracking and wearing off, mainly on
the tops and the backs of the chairs.

The biggest thing I have to deal with is that gouge. *It is about six-
inches long and about 1/2" or so wide. *How do I tackle that?

Best would be a dutchman -

You said it, buster.... we exclusively use snadabel materials [sic]
Old November 29th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 05:07:38 -0800 (PST), busbus
wrote:

[...]

How deep is it?
How many fibers did it tear out?
Is it a scrape (to be filled or replaced)?
Or just a depression (which might be steamed out)?
etc.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so find a way to put one online for
us.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Old November 29th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 8:07*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

This thing is slick for making a dutchman:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/23m3e7x
Old November 29th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

The steam technique only works if all the wood material is still there and
you may have left it too long to work properly.

I used some wood filler on my oak staircase before sealing, sanding,
staining and urethane and they are hardly noticable. It was a special filler
that would take stain properly according to the brag on the squeeze tube.

Old November 29th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 11:34*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How deep is it?
How many fibers did it tear out?
Is it a scrape (to be filled or replaced)?
Or just a depression (which might be steamed out)?
*etc. *

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so find a way to put one online for
us.

Oh, it is deep! You said it: something must've fallen then shifted to
one side or the other and tore up a nice long piece.

I was afraid the best answer would be to rout the spot out and put a
new piece of wood in it. If I need to do this, then I think a LOT of
playing around is going to be called for because I ain't never done
that before and this piece of furniture holds sentimental value for my
wife.

Here is another stupid question: is the type of mahogany used to build
this thing 70 or so years ago the same as what is used now? I guess I
am asking if it will match up...I guess that is a stupid question.

I was just hoping for an easier answer! Thanks...I will let you guys
know what happens. I think I am going to keep this piece until
last!!!!!!!!

busbus
Old November 29th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message

Oh, it is deep! You said it: something must've fallen then shifted to
one side or the other and tore up a nice long piece.

I was afraid the best answer would be to rout the spot out and put a
new piece of wood in it. If I need to do this, then I think a LOT of
playing around is going to be called for because I ain't never done
that before and this piece of furniture holds sentimental value for my
wife.

Here is another stupid question: is the type of mahogany used to build
this thing 70 or so years ago the same as what is used now? I guess I
am asking if it will match up...I guess that is a stupid question.

I was just hoping for an easier answer! Thanks...I will let you guys
know what happens. I think I am going to keep this piece until
last!!!!!!!!

The usual way is to find somewhere on the piece of furniture which
will be invisible when you remove a piece of the original wood to use
for the repair. Inside? A drawer back?
Art

Repair gouge on wooden table edge Dave Farrance UK diy 11 October 19th 08 09:21 PM
Which Bowl Gouge To Buy? skidog Woodturning 30 October 3rd 07 09:15 AM
gouge repair AllEmailDeletedImmediately Home Ownership 2 November 11th 05 02:15 PM
My Next Gouge George Woodturning 2 April 29th 05 06:58 PM
Bowl Gouge Tom Storey Woodturning 4 July 22nd 04 03:48 PM