tillius

Default Shop made full extension wooden drawer slides

Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Tillman
J. Clarke

tillius wrote:

Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

If you froogle '12" full extension slide' then you'll find several sources
for $8 or so. I've ordered stuff from right-tool and while you won't hear
a word from them after the order, it did arrive in a timely manner.

One place I worked I had an ancient filing cabinet with wooden full
extension slides. I would _not_ recommend them. Too long a moment arm
with the drawer full open led to sag, the tracks were no longer smooth so
opening and closing a full drawer took three men and a donkey, all around
it was a pain in the butt.

Having had that experience I don't begrudge the slide manufacturers their
price--if it's something that has to work and removing the drawer is not an
acceptable alternative to full extension then go with the commercial
slides.

Tillman

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Leon

"tillius" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Tillman

Yes you can.

You can get 9.75" full extension slides for as little as $4.92 each in sets
of 10 or $6.09 each singly. Take a look here and scroll down the page.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?Gr...%20E xtension

Kevin Wilcox

Fine Woodworking did some several years ago. I made some for a shop
cabinet, but they were pretty tedious to make and seem to lack the strength
and smoothness of metal slides. I'd recommend against making your own.
If you're still interested, I'll see if I can find the issue number.

Kevin

"tillius" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Tillman

Kevin Wilcox

FWW July/August 2000 has the plans for the full ext wood slides I made. I
would not do it again.

If you're going to have drawers on both sides of your cart, why not just
make full width (depth?) drawers that open from both sides? Then you can
use simple wooden drawer runners, since the drawers only open 1/2 way.
Kevin

"Kevin Wilcox" wrote in message
Fine Woodworking did some several years ago. I made some for a shop
cabinet, but they were pretty tedious to make and seem to lack the

strength
and smoothness of metal slides. I'd recommend against making your own.
If you're still interested, I'll see if I can find the issue number.

Kevin

"tillius" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Tillman

Larry Jaques

On 7 May 2004 20:50:06 -0700, (tillius)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Precision hardware isn't as cheap as wood.

For at least one cart, consider a tiered, pull-out shelf insert which
would take several layers and eliminate all but 2 slides for that
expanded depth.

www.wwhardware.com has Blum epoxy-coated 3/4 ext. slides in boxes of
25 sets for $110. (My local hardwood store has import epoxy-coated
slides for $3/pair and Lee Valley has kitchen slides for $2.90/pr)

www.leevalley.com has metal drawers with tabs on the side which
work as slides in kerfs cut into the cabinet sides. 05K98.10
(Note to Robin Lee: Please index these under "drawers", too.)
12K78.01 are sides onto which you build the rest of the drawer.

Last, but not least, consider using wood as slides for some of the
lesser-used drawers. (I have to wax my built-in dresser drawers twice
a year, but that takes about 15 minutes each time. They work pretty
smoothly waxed-wood-on-waxed-wood for quite a while.) Cut dadoes in
the cabinet sides (or overlay 1/2" panels less the slots) and add
strips to the drawers as slides.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?