Lawrence L'Hote

Default About Hot Hide Glue

I've just finished glueing that trash(ed) chair back together I mentioned
here several months ago and it's still clamped. I thought I would expand my
glue horizon and try my hand at hot hide glue. I've read _The Glue Book_
[William Young], the instructions that came with the glue and perused
several hot glue websites. It seems that there is no firm guide lines
about the dry glue to water ratio other than eye ball. One instruction is
when the glue is up to temperature (ca.145-150 deg) it should run off your
stir stick 'like thick cream." and add water or glue as needed. So far
I've found that the glue is very forgiving as far as clean up and
application with no problem cooling too quick before I clamp. Maybe my
memory is lacking, but I've no recall of anyone, here on the wreck,
discussing the stuff. Just one suggestion, a pound of glue goes a
looooooooong way. I purchased 3 lbs and should have just enough to last
until the end of the century.

Larry
http://home.mchsi.com/%7Elawlhote/chair/chair.htm ---if you missed my
blathering the first time around.

mike

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message news:iD7nc.52520$kh4.3013631@attbi_s52...
[...]

Larry, the ratio of water to glue depends on the type and manufacturer
of the hide glue. I don't get overly concerned with the ratio , I
start with the same amount of water as glue. I almost always have to
add water to thin it to the right consistancy.I use the granulated
type from Moser, never tried the pearl form.

mike

Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 11:56 AM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM
If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 03:29 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM
Glue vs. No Glue Nehmo Sergheyev Woodworking 11 September 28th 03 12:59 AM