Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

Old November 3rd 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who does auto paint jobs and
custom helmets and hockey masks. He said that on the occasion he can't
find any 2000-ish grit for his final inspection wet sanding, he'll just
grab some printer paper.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old November 3rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
-MIKE- spewed forth:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty
good job.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who does auto paint jobs and
custom helmets and hockey masks. He said that on the occasion he can't
find any 2000-ish grit for his final inspection wet sanding, he'll
just grab some printer paper.

Yup, an old finisher buddy taught me that trick and it works great.
Brown lunch bag or newspaper works well too

Old November 3rd 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 12:11*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. *Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

They're also good for removing light surface rust without damaging a
finish such as bluing, I've been told for forever not to cut
cardboard because it is abrasive and will dull a knife. I've been
ignoring this for forever and just sharpening the (various) knives
when they get dull (from whatever reason).

And speaking of rust, the first thing I try on light rust is a coarse
terrycloth rag with some light oil (auto trans fluid works well).
This will usually remove rust with a good scrubbing, but won't harm
bluing or other finish.
Old November 3rd 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, paper bags works fine. Also, burlap.

Sonny
Old November 3rd 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing
work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it
cures.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old November 3rd 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who does auto paint jobs and
custom helmets and hockey masks. He said that on the occasion he can't
find any 2000-ish grit for his final inspection wet sanding, he'll just
grab some printer paper.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Amazing what I can learn from this site. What a great group. WW

Old November 3rd 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/10 4:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing
work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it
cures.

I've never used shellac.
What about it makes the paper so good?
What's it doing to the shellac?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old November 4th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 11:11*am, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining.

Is this a variant of the turner's trick of grabbing a handful of swarf
to burnish the finished workpiece? I thought that was mainly
heat and the resins and sap doing a quick polish. I'm partial to the
waxy-string method, myself.
Old November 4th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking

What about it makes the paper so good?

It is abrasive. The guys that do knives use it for final sharpen/
polish, I believe. A "paper" wheel, IIRC.

Old November 4th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing
work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it
cures.

I've never used shellac.
What about it makes the paper so good?
What's it doing to the shellac?

The friction heats the shellac just enough to burnish it, and it is
just rough enough to both cause the friction and then burnish it super
smooth.