Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

On 05 Nov 2010 17:28:59 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

LOL!!...that brown stuff was brutal! (But did the job.)

Ummmmmm... you're not supposed to use the TP with the brown stuff on
it...

Dutch TP used to have a greyish-brown color, like faded brown bag paper.
Color like that. Texture indeed close to 60-grit sandpaper.

The pink crap you get in large parts of Africa is no better (I think
it's actually french).

The brown/yellow stuff is "scottish" TP, isn't it??? (hung out to dry
and re-used)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:09:13 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

I never could figure out outhouses with two holes... what...take a
dump with a buddy? Wha?

For you city folks, who don't have much experience in outhouse design and
implementation, it may seem a mystery.

But as a country boy, who had to dig and build outhouses from time to time,
there is a practical consideration. It has to do with volume. If enough
people use one hole, you will fill up the ground hole and make the whole
outhouse experience extremely uncomfortable. By going to two holes, you get
a more even distribution of, cough, cough, well, you know.

Back in the day, they just used to drag the outhouse to a new hole/location
when one started to fill up. But when folks (and livestock) started to fall
in to the old holes, somebody came up with the two hole design. By the way,
I have seen three and four hole designs.

And for the real classy outhouses in snow country, they have styrofoam
seats. Much warmer on the behind when using the facility sitting down in
sub zero weather.

Never notice the difference in size in a "classic" two-holer????
One hole was for the broader of beam adults, while the smaller one was
for the smaller tykes, so Mom didn't have to fish them out when they
slipped.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Lee
Michaels" says...

[...]

According to Nevada Barr, the Park Service just keeps the seat next to
the heater, and whoever needs to use it takes it out and brings it back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On 05 Nov 2010 17:28:59 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

LOL!!...that brown stuff was brutal! (But did the job.)

Ummmmmm... you're not supposed to use the TP with the brown stuff on
it...

Dutch TP used to have a greyish-brown color, like faded brown bag paper.
Color like that. Texture indeed close to 60-grit sandpaper.

The pink crap you get in large parts of Africa is no better (I think
it's actually french).

The brown/yellow stuff is "scottish" TP, isn't it??? (hung out to dry
and re-used)

Back in the tenements with the lav on the landing it was mostly the
newspaper minus the racing form and pools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a
simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/10 7:58 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a
simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?

I didn't take me long to realize you get about 24hrs for any useful
information, then you can literally stop reading. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is why we are all here.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a
simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 8:58*am, Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a
simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

THAT, in a word, is why I love this place. A little nudge....and
ZINGGGG off the rails it goes.
..
..
..
HOW many fingers does one use to punch down a loaf of freshly raised
bread dough?
See?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ain't it amazing, the depths of scatological depravity to which a
simple, innocently initiated thread can sink on the wREC?

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

UseNet's weakness is its strength.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:42*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 3, 10:25*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 11/3/10 8:54 PM, wrote:

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:33:05 -0500,
wrote:

On 11/3/10 4:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing
work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it
cures.

I've never used shellac.
What about it makes the paper so good?
What's it doing to the shellac?
* The friction heats the shellac just enough to burnish it, and it is
just rough enough to both cause the friction and then burnish it super
smooth.

Serious? * *Tell me you're not just making that up (like some guys in
here). *:-)
Makes sense to me.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Oak rust, suspended in animal fat and rubbed in with Festool
Brownbagpaper™ is the ticket for me.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that was the cutting board recipe. Does that work for
everything Robatoy? I think I'll try it on my next set o' cabinets...

RP