DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat platesfor a table saw? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/307595-can-laminated-hardboard-used-make-zero-clearance-throat-platesfor-table-saw.html)

[email protected] August 4th 10 04:32 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat platesfor a table saw?

Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

GROVER August 4th 10 05:32 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 4, 10:32*am, "
wrote:
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

By laminated hardboard I presume you mean an MDF substrate with a top
layer of high pressure laminate, (Formica Wilsonart etc). It would
make an excellent throat plate providing you can get the thickness you
need. You can also laminate your own plywood with PLam.
Joe G

Leon[_6_] August 4th 10 10:50 PM

wrote in message
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

Assuming what you are talking about is Melamine shelving, I doubt it would
be very good. Typically Melamine shelving is made with OSB and or particle
board.

Melemine on MDF would be much better.

-MIKE- August 4th 10 11:11 PM

On 8/4/10 3:50 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

Assuming what you are talking about is Melamine shelving, I doubt it would
be very good. Typically Melamine shelving is made with OSB and or particle
board.

Melemine on MDF would be much better.

Yeah, MDF would work great, but definitely not the chip-n-spit boards
I've seen in prepacked garage shelving units.

I wonder if there are standards and/or a reference to such standards for
all the "termite vomit" (LOVE that term) products out there.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

WW[_2_] August 5th 10 01:40 AM

wrote in message
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

I use some left over manufactured flooring (like Pergo) Tough stuff. I drill
and tap for setscrews to adjust the leveling. WW

Lobby Dosser[_3_] August 5th 10 02:01 AM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 8/4/10 3:50 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Termite mounds are made from termite vomit. You could just about run a Mack
truck into a termite mound and the truck would lose. The mounds also have
central heating and AC. The mounds are also tourist attractions in Oz. So,
way better than chip 'n spit boards.

Jeff Gorman August 5th 10 09:23 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

[email protected] August 5th 10 02:12 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 5, 2:23*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw. The pin in the back can simply be a screw. Of course,
when raising the blade to make the slot the plate has to be clamped
down. Am I missing something?

-MIKE- August 5th 10 05:52 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On 8/5/10 7:12 AM, wrote:
On Aug 5, 2:23 am, "Jeff wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw. The pin in the back can simply be a screw. Of course,
when raising the blade to make the slot the plate has to be clamped
down. Am I missing something?

No, you're not.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_6_] August 5th 10 09:40 PM

wrote in message
On Aug 5, 2:23 am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw.

The older Cradtsman TS required the loosening of a front countersunk Philips
head machine screw. When loosened a key hole slot in the front of the insert
would allow the insert to slide up and forward and finally up again and off
the table. The back end of the insert had a bracket that slid under the
table top.

-MIKE- August 5th 10 09:53 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On 8/5/10 2:40 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 5, 2:23 am, "Jeff wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw.

The older Cradtsman TS required the loosening of a front countersunk Philips
head machine screw. When loosened a key hole slot in the front of the insert
would allow the insert to slide up and forward and finally up again and off
the table. The back end of the insert had a bracket that slid under the
table top.

My Delta has a machine screw on the front end and a nipple on the back.

Guess my point is that it's kind of irrelevant to what material is being
used.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

[email protected] August 5th 10 10:42 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

Thanx a lot.

Robatoy[_2_] August 5th 10 11:05 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 5, 4:42*pm, "
wrote:
You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

Thanx a lot.

Go to your local solid surface fabricator and ask for a vanity sink
cut-out. Makes a great insert.

-MIKE- August 5th 10 11:10 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On 8/5/10 4:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:42 pm,
wrote:
You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

Thanx a lot.

Go to your local solid surface fabricator and ask for a vanity sink
cut-out. Makes a great insert.

They make great lots-of-other-things, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

mtnbikeddie August 6th 10 05:18 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 4, 7:32*am, "
wrote:
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

I just made one out of a leftover plastic computer case and a peice of
bent metal for the splitter - workds great good luck

Kevin August 6th 10 05:49 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:42:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

-Kevin

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 6th 10 06:05 AM

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

--

-Mike-

-MIKE- August 6th 10 06:14 AM

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

-Kevin

How the heck would it flex too much. There's no pressure put on a ZCI,
right? At least, there shouldn't ever be.
If everything on your saw is set up true and your blade is flat, you
could practically use a piece of clipboard.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Steve Turner August 6th 10 02:55 PM

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

-Kevin

How the heck would it flex too much. There's no pressure put on a ZCI,
right? At least, there shouldn't ever be.
If everything on your saw is set up true and your blade is flat, you
could practically use a piece of clipboard.

My main ZCI is phenolic, but I've made a bunch of inserts from 1/2" MDF for cutting various
width dadoes and I've never had a problem with them flexing or sagging.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

mtnbikeddie August 6th 10 06:43 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 5, 8:52*am, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/10 7:12 AM, wrote:

On Aug 5, 2:23 am, "Jeff *wrote:
*wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? *As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? *I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw. *The pin in the back can simply be a screw. *Of course,
when raising the blade to make the slot the plate has to be clamped
down. *Am I missing something?

No, you're not.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.
Don't forget the splitter which should be as thick as the blade andas
high as most of the wood that you will cut. It has to be in line with
the blade. Good luck

dpb August 6th 10 08:20 PM

mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

J. Clarke August 6th 10 08:54 PM

On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? The one time it happens it's gonna clip the
mother-in-law in the back of the head and she's going to claim that you
did it deliberately and there's the end of domestic tranquility for the
next decade or so.

dpb August 6th 10 10:25 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? ...

Some odds are so long as to make them essentially non-existent
likelihoods. Out of all the PM-66's and Unisaurs that afaik have never
had a single one w/ a insert plate lock mechanism it seems even if it
were a occurring but rare event it would have surfaced sometime in the
last 70-80 years or so given the number of opportunities. Yet I'd never
even heard it broached as a possibility what more an event until a few
posters up...

$0.001...

Larry Blanchard August 6th 10 11:08 PM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:25:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

Some odds are so long as to make them essentially non-existent
likelihoods.

That was my reaction as well. My 1948 Delta is the only saw I've owned
that had a clip in the back. The manufacturers must have since concluded
that it added nothing to safety - and if the lawyers let them get away
with it they were probably right :-).

Lobby Dosser[_3_] August 7th 10 01:48 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 8/6/2010 2:20 PM, dpb wrote:
mtnbikeddie wrote:

as far as the hold down all you have to do is attatsh s clip or metal
plate to the rear with a screw. There must be enough clearance - maybe
12 inch or so - for it to to slide in easily when you drop the plate
in very easy but a holdown clip is for certain a good and safe idea.

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Still, why tempt fate? The one time it happens it's gonna clip the
mother-in-law in the back of the head and she's going to claim that you
did it deliberately and there's the end of domestic tranquility for the
next decade or so.

Why look on the downside? Upside is domestic tranquility forever.

Morgans August 7th 10 06:47 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

"dpb" wrote

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Me neither. The only way it could happen is not having it secured while the
initial cut through was being made, or
if it was made so loose that it could rattle around in the pocket.
--
Jim in NC

Leon[_6_] August 7th 10 07:04 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

"Morgans" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote

Perhaps, but I've never seen one and have never heard of an incident the
insert being "thrown".

Me neither. The only way it could happen is not having it secured while
the initial cut through was being made, or
if it was made so loose that it could rattle around in the pocket.
--
Jim in NC

Blades do become non-flat, often during a cutting operation and this is
especially likely with a think kerf blade if it gets hot. Then it starts to
widen the insert slot and....

Father Haskell August 8th 10 01:59 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On Aug 5, 3:23*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.ukwww.amgron.clara.net

Park the fence over the plate just to the side of the blade
and raise away. Even then, stoop down to place yourself
lower than the saw top and slightly to the side. Haven't
had a plate thrown yet, but why take a gamble?

Kevin August 8th 10 04:07 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

-Kevin

How the heck would it flex too much. There's no pressure put on a ZCI,
right? At least, there shouldn't ever be.
If everything on your saw is set up true and your blade is flat, you
could practically use a piece of clipboard.

You need some down pressure on the stock as you are feeding it,
especially with smaller parts. I always get a chuckle out of the "as
long as your saw is setup perfectly" as if every piece of wood behaves
itself perfectly during cuts.

My most extreme example would be with my shop built tenoning jig that
rides the rip fence, need a lot of down pressure to keep the stock
from lifting in the cut, and if there's any flex your cut is too deep.

-Kevin

Kevin August 8th 10 04:19 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

I think it's about 15". Probably about a foot span from the support
ledges. Doesn't take much to flex 1/2" MDF over that and as far as
I'm concerned when it comes to the TS that insert ought not to budge
if I put any reasonable force on it, because when the sh*t hits the
fan why throw one more variable into the equation?

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex. If all I
ever did was cut sheet goods I'd never notice and it wouldn't be an
issue.

-Kevin

[email protected] August 8th 10 04:44 AM

wrote:

[...]

15" wide throat? That's the size of the table on most saws! What sort of saw
do you have?

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 8th 10 05:53 AM

Kevin wrote:

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex. If all I
ever did was cut sheet goods I'd never notice and it wouldn't be an
issue.

Interesting. I admit - I was thinking sheet goods or flat stock cuts. Had
not considered tennon jigs. But I'm bound and determined to save face from
my obvious lack of thought, and lay it back on you by telling you that you
screwed up by not locking in your stock...

Still - without having tested this configuration, I still find myself
surprised that even your tennoning work created any noticable flex. Just
shows to go ya - ya come across something different every day.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 8th 10 05:56 AM

Kevin wrote:

My most extreme example would be with my shop built tenoning jig that
rides the rip fence, need a lot of down pressure to keep the stock
from lifting in the cut, and if there's any flex your cut is too deep.

So - I have to ask... if it rides the fence, than the throat plate should
really not be a factor. Back to the fact that you don't lock down each cut?
That would be understandable.

--

-Mike-

Nova August 8th 10 01:02 PM

wrote:

[...]

If you need enough pressure to flex the throat plate I suggest you have
your blade sharpened.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

J. Clarke August 8th 10 01:51 PM

wrote:

[...]

Also worth looking at the alignment of the fence--the blade should be
drawing the work down, not pushing it up--if it's pushing up then the
fence may be slighly misaligned with the back toward the blade so that
the stock is getting pushed into the rising teeth.

Morgans August 8th 10 03:21 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

"Kevin" wrote

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex.

I put it to you like this; if you continue to improperly use a jig (as far
as I am concernened, not making use of a clamp constitutes improper use)
then almost any material is going to have some flex. Reinforce the insert
with a rib alongside the blade. Either that or get a metal insert made with
a sacrificial wood edge added by the blade.

I would urge you to reconsider using the clamp on a tenioning jig. Take the
time to be safe and accurate. One day, that will bite you.
--
Jim in NC

-MIKE- August 8th 10 03:47 PM

On 8/7/10 9:07 PM, Kevin wrote:
[...]

If you are needing downward pressure on a jig or stock, enough to bend a
1/2" MDF ZCI, there is either something very wrong with your saw or you
are doing something very wrong.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- August 8th 10 03:52 PM

On 8/7/10 9:19 PM, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Your problem lies in your technique. If you are too lazy to clamp or
hold the stock securely to your jig, that's where the danger is. If you're
pushing the stock down to the table hard enough to bend 1/2 mdf over a
12" span, that is poor and dangerous technique.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Larry W August 9th 10 03:13 AM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Kevin" wrote

[...]

To the OP: Check your saw setup as previous posters have advised for
fence being parallel. And, consider modifying or making a new
tenoning jig with a base long enough so that the fore & aft ends are
always resting on the cast iron table, not on the insert.

Kevin August 10th 10 06:10 PM

Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 08:47:58 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

If you are needing downward pressure on a jig or stock, enough to bend a
1/2" MDF ZCI, there is either something very wrong with your saw or you
are doing something very wrong.

Okay I dare you or anyone else that's said I'm doing something unsafe
to cut a piece of 1/2" MDF that is 14" long and 2.5" wide (The width
of my insert on the right side of the blade), support it at the ends
and then try to flex it with ONE FINGER.

Then try the same thing with 1/2" Baltic Birch ply. You can use your
whole hand this time.

Then come back here and tell me I'm doing something wrong by using the
one that doesn't flex.

-Kevin