Posted to rec.woodworking
Uno Uno is offline

Default replacing lentil

Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?
--
Uno
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:15 -0600, Uno wrote:

Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

Lentils are very nourishing, but they make a lousy threshold :-).

Are you talking about the top member (a lintel) or the bottom (a
threshold)?

I wouldn't use pressure treated for a threshold if anyone will be
stepping on it barefoot. OK, that's excessively cautious, but why take
the chance. How about ash or oak? Or even cypress?

For a lintel pressure treated would be OK, but why? Is there a lot of
water draining onto it? If so, a little flashing would solve that
problem. Pressure treated wood is a softwood - I'd still prefer a
hardwood as above.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2010 4:40 PM, Uno wrote:
Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

Are you talking about the header (lentel in architect speak), or the
threshold?

The lentel is at the top of the jambs, the threshold at the bottom.

You need to clarify ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 5:40*pm, Uno wrote:
Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. *I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

These two sentences seem unrelated, yet somehow I feel bad for Judy.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. *Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

That's like asking for advice on how to change a tire, and we don't
know if it's a bicycle or a band saw! Many questions - is the door
frame metal or wood? Do the jambs sit on the existing threshold? Is
there rot there now? What's up with the lintel you mentioned? What's
under the existing threshold? Can you tell if the existing threshold
is a replacement? Is there currently, or should there be,
weatherstripping at the bottom of the door? Front, back or garage
door?

If it's wood, and you want to replace it with wood (might not be the
best choice) I would use some Ipe. Your local lumberyard will most
likely have it. It's one of those tropical hardwoods that is hard as
crap, very dense, holds up well outdoors, and isn't half bad looking.
It's commonly used for decking and left bare.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 7:31*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:15 -0600, Uno wrote:
Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. *I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. *Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

Lentils are very nourishing, but they make a lousy threshold :-).

But next thing you know, you'll be covering your arms with animal hide
and betraying your brother.
Waitasec...I may have that mixed up with having a planted beaker in my
luggage and got thrown into a well by the TSA...
I love lentil soups.. very filling without the fartastic side effects
of bean soups.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Uno Uno is offline

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 22, 5:40 pm, Uno wrote:
[...]

Ooops. In my defense, it was her word which I then turned into a bean.

I found a couple online vids for this. I'll consider hardwood
solutions. Thx for all suggestions.

There's a lot of terminology in woodworking. Is there someplace else in
usenet where I could ask a couple questions about steel and concrete
building systems?

--
Uno
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 4:20*pm, Uno wrote:

There's a lot of terminology in woodworking. *Is there someplace else in
usenet where I could ask a couple questions about steel and concrete
building systems?

The 'proper' newsgroup would probably be alt.building.construction, or
alt.home.repair, but a fair number of the people that would answer on
those newsgroups also visit this one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You will get interesting answers here. There are some of us who
are professionals who do this for a living.

--
DanG