How to cut preformed countertops???

Old July 22nd 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to cut preformed countertops???

I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

Thanks,

Tim
Old July 22nd 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 3:31*pm, Tim wrote:
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

Thanks,

Tim

It's not clear from your post whether the backsplash and top are one
piece or you bought a loose backsplash. Here's some good info:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=609462

There are a lot of places you could go wrong, and you'd then be
fussing with chips and belt sanders. Cutting to length when the cut
end is up against a wall, and the cut will be covered by the
backsplash is easier. Cutting meeting 45s to fit in a corner is a lot
tougher, particularly if the splash/top is one piece. The easiest
thing to do if you need meeting 45s is to bring the top to a
countertop shop that has a beam/travel saw.

Old July 22nd 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim" wrote in message
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

Thanks,

Tim

I cut them upside down, use a straightedge, skill saw with a fine tooth
blade, with the blade extended all the way so it cuts most of the way "up"
the back splash. Doing it this way I need to set up twice to clamp the
straight edge for the final cut on the back splash. I have done several
counter tops this way and have had good results, no shipping of the Formica.
I have never cut a 45 degree this way, just trimming to length.
Greg

Old July 23rd 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

Thanks,

Tim

I cut them upside down, use a straightedge, skill saw with a fine tooth
blade, with the blade extended all the way so it cuts most of the way "up"
the back splash. Doing it this way I need to set up twice to clamp the
straight edge for the final cut on the back splash. I have done several
counter tops this way and have had good results, no shipping of the
Formica. I have never cut a 45 degree this way, just trimming to length.
Greg

I do the same just use a good carbide blade in the circular saw, have even
used a good blade in a jig saw with a guide. The laminate is pretty tough
these days. Are you putting end caps on these counters? If so cut them down
proud of where you want them and then get yourself a good rasp with at least
4 different cutting surface and have fun filing them to size after you have
installed them of course... I just installed one of those counters from HD
they look real good...
Old July 23rd 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

One more way is to cut proud by 1/4 then use a belt sander to fit in.
I take a washer and card board to make a template.
I then run the washer with a pencil in the center and that is my sanding
line. I make sure my measurement is correct before sanding.

Old July 24th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:

: "Tim" wrote in message
: ...
:I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
: to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
: to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Tim

: I cut them upside down, use a straightedge, skill saw with a fine tooth
: blade, with the blade extended all the way so it cuts most of the way "up"
: the back splash. Doing it this way I need to set up twice to clamp the
: straight edge for the final cut on the back splash. I have done several
: counter tops this way and have had good results, no shipping of the Formica.
: I have never cut a 45 degree this way, just trimming to length.
: Greg

I did the exact same thing. Cutting upward so the teeth of the blade press the laminate into
the substrate, instead of pulling it off, is key.
I used one of those straightedge clamps, and it worked great.

-- Andy Barss
Old July 27th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Here you go: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Old July 27th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2010 3:31 PM, Tim wrote:
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would
like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too
long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

I just put masking tape on both sides and cut from the back and it
worked out pretty good. Now, do you know how to cut laminate sheets?
That's my next episode.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Old July 28th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2010 3:31 PM, Tim wrote:
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

I just put masking tape on both sides and cut from the back and it worked
out pretty good. Now, do you know how to cut laminate sheets? That's my
next episode.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Box cutter and snap.

Old July 28th 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2010 3:31 PM, Tim wrote:
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would
like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too
long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

I just put masking tape on both sides and cut from the back and it
worked out pretty good. Now, do you know how to cut laminate sheets?
That's my next episode.

I masked the laminate, flipped the counter over on a carpeted waste
top, and used a new skilsaw blade to cut it from the back. I learned a
new trick since then: screwing on guides before doing the cut so I
could make that transition twixt the counter & splash perfectly
smoothly. On my last cut, I did it in two runs, splash first, then
counter. It needed only a tiny bit of filing to smooth out and the
iron-on edge fit like a champ.

I think I used the 24T blade vs. the 18 for a smoother edge.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.