nbaxley

Default Drill press sanding drums

I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at. http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nate Baxley
John

I'm not sure how well your setup will spin the 3 incher. I had one in a big
old sears drill press and it worked ok. I know you said on the cheap but I
got one of those ryobi oscilating spindle sanders for under $80 a while ago
and like it much better than the drill press setup. Here is a link to the
ryobi page:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/pr...at=4&toolcat=2

My HD seems to be closing out there older ryobi floor models right now so
you may be able to score one cheap....JD

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...
I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nate Baxley

Edwin Pawlowski

"nbaxley" wrote in message ...
The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Yes, I have some thoughts. In a larger drill press you have more power and
decent speed control. With a hand drill in a mount it is probably the
least desirable setup you can have. As for size, what works best depends on
what you are sanding. 3" is fine for a gentle arch, but won't work inside of
a 1" diameter hole. It is nice to have a slection of drum sizes to choose
from.

How well will it work? Depends on the thickness of wood, type of wood, etc.
How stable is the mount with a side force? That can throw you off square
when you put pressure on it.
Ed

It may be enought to get yo buy on a simple project, but if yo are serious
about continuing the hobby, put the money towards a cheap OSS. You can find
them for about $100

mttt

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...

I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my

If $99 is within your reach - do the Ryobi OSS from Home Despot. If not -
give the spindles a shot. I tried a few and decided they weren't a wise
investment. Haven't regretted the $99 on the Ryobi (yet)

Chipper Wood

A word of warning. Hand drill main shafts are geared and run on a single row
ball bearing. Not designed for side pressure, The main shaft with side
pressure will tilt slightly at an angle to the plane of the gearing and
cause accelerated gear wear. Depending upon the clearances in the bearing.
Even if it is a sleeved bushing, you will definitely shorten the life of
your hand drill.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...
I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nate Baxley

Hylourgos

I second John's suggestions. If it's a quick and dirty cheap project,
then go for it, but get your drums from HF (on sale right now for $5:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47032)--that'll
match the quality of your dp. Otherwise, you're putting a fuel
injector on a Yugo.

If it's something you care about then try to get an OSS like the Ryobi
for $80 or so.

H.

"John" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure how well your setup will spin the 3 incher. I had one in a big
old sears drill press and it worked ok. I know you said on the cheap but I
got one of those ryobi oscilating spindle sanders for under $80 a while ago
and like it much better than the drill press setup. Here is a link to the
ryobi page:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/pr...at=4&toolcat=2

My HD seems to be closing out there older ryobi floor models right now so
you may be able to score one cheap....JD

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...
I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nate Baxley

nbaxley

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It sounds like a better investment
overall will be an OSS. Since this project is just for some heavy
duty shelf brackets that need rounding on the front lip. I was
wanting a large spindle so I could cover the entire 3 inch surface and
even up the 2x and OSB sides in at time. I'll probably just use my
belt sander. I think that the spindles in the drill may be just a
waste of money and the cheap OSS would be a better way to go.

Thanks,
Nate Baxley