Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mother of Pearl Inlay?

What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with.
I need to repair a chair that has been f**ked up by someone else repairing
it and need to clean and repair it properly

pics posted to ABPW

--

Never Forget
http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with.
I need to repair a chair that has been f**ked up by someone else repairing
it and need to clean and repair it properly

pics posted to ABPW

Any idea how old this chair is?

I'm guessing, most likely hide glue or some
other animal glue.

cover the spot with a very hot, damp rag
and see if the mother-of -pearl turns loose.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
basilisk spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with.
I need to repair a chair that has been f**ked up by someone else
repairing it and need to clean and repair it properly

pics posted to ABPW

Any idea how old this chair is?

I'm guessing, most likely hide glue or some
other animal glue.

cover the spot with a very hot, damp rag
and see if the mother-of -pearl turns loose.

basilisk

I have no idea how old it is.
I'm more worried about cleaning the old glue out, it looks pretty screwed
up from what I can tell from the pics
Hide glue is what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure since I've never done
any inlay
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not sure what would have been used but I would use epoxy today.
Disimilar materials can be hard to glue.

Also, use good dust protection as moter of pearl is very toxic to
breath dust. Most people sand it under water.

On May 4, 9:04*pm, "ChairMan" wrote:
What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with.
I need to repair a chair that has been f**ked up by someone else repairing
it and need to clean and repair it properly

pics posted to ABPW

--

Never Forgethttp://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 May, 05:04, "ChairMan" wrote:
What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with.

Usually?.... Don't go there. Probably whatever is nearest.

For good work, this should be hide glue. It's also fussy, and some
workers had their own favoured formulations. The problem is
differential expansion with heat or moisture changes. For that reason
I wouldn't use hide, I'd use rabbit skin (same suppliers, widely used
for bookbinding) because it's much more flexible. Some also use fish
glue because it has better tack and hold onto awkward materials like
shell (this can depend on the roughness of the back surface).

Epoxy is also used on modern work, takes a colour for gap filling and
fills nicely. I'd probably use it on modern work, but not for repairs.

Victorian inlay, especially with brass, often used early "rubber
solution" glues, based on neoprene (et al) dissolved in fiendish
solvents like carbon disulphide. These were also used for sticking
leather wraps onto brass tubes for scientific instruments. There are
also period glues like Croid.

On the whole, it depends. it depends on your materials, your needs and
your care for authenticity. But I'd experiment with the same materials
before and practice on small pieces first.

Glassworking tools, like a ring saw, are great for accurate shaping if
you know someone who does stained glass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Andy Dingley spewed forth:
On 5 May, 05:04, "ChairMan" wrote:
[...]