Default anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David
xrongor

im going to tell you a short story that taught me a valuable lesson.

i wanted to get out of the high stress business of emergency computer
support and went to a future shop thinking i could get a job there no
problem. i ended up talking with the owner of the company. after spending
15 minutes talking about what i knew about electronics and computers, he
told me the one thing i will never forget.

he told me he didnt give a rats ass what i knew about computers or
electronics. he wanted to know what i knew about SELLING computers and
electronics.

expect the same at lowes or home depot.

randy

wrote in message
Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David

Charlie Self

randy writes:

i wanted to get out of the high stress business of emergency computer
support and went to a future shop thinking i could get a job there no
problem. i ended up talking with the owner of the company. after spending
15 minutes talking about what i knew about electronics and computers, he
told me the one thing i will never forget.

he told me he didnt give a rats ass what i knew about computers or
electronics. he wanted to know what i knew about SELLING computers and
electronics.

expect the same at lowes or home depot.

True. But what most retail management manages (sorry about that) to overlook is
the fact that knowing about something makes selling it easier, supporting it
much easier, and finding out what the customer needs even easier. Result: more
sales and better sales support, which eventually results in even more sales. It
is the "eventually" that seems to baffle today's managers, "Ya mean, not this
week (month or month for the real long term planners)? Feggedaboutit. We can't
afford to wait."

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Lee Gordon

Charlie ...

True. But what most retail management manages (sorry about that) to
overlook is
the fact that knowing about something makes selling it easier, supporting it
much easier, and finding out what the customer needs even easier.

Well, yes and no. If you know a lot about what you are selling, and what
you are selling is crap (and if you happen to have some scruples), that
combination of circumstances can actually hinder the process.
Perhaps that's why so many of the folks in those orange or blue aprons are
as clueless as they seem. If they really knew about some of those the
products on the shelves, when you asked them where to find something they
might point you in the direction of the exit.

Lee

Nate B

"xrongor"

he told me he didnt give a rats ass what i knew about computers or
electronics. he wanted to know what i knew about SELLING computers and
electronics.

expect the same at lowes or home depot.

I'm not sure what your point is or how the heck you came to want to post
what you did based on the question other than a sharp paternal need to offer
trivial career advice. I'm pretty sure anyone capable of posting to Usenet
can probably figure out how to stock a shelf.

To actually answer the question, I've never heard an employee complain about
their job at Home Depot when I talk to them (seems like too often...). My
tenent's boyfriend works there as well and seems happy and well paid for
what he does. Lowe's, OTOH, doesn't seem to have the same faces around as
long as Home Depot - at least at the ones near me. Just my somewhat
uninterested and passive observations, though. Maybe apply to both and see
what you find out for yourself.

- Nate

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Nate B
wrote:

seems happy and well paid for what he does

Anyone who uses "retail" and "well paid" in the same sentence can't be
taken seriously. ;-)

I don't know how low minimum wage is where you are, but, up here in
Canada, I could weep for anyone dead-ended in any kind of retail job,
Home Depot or otherwise. The poor (pun intended) devils are working for
the same kind of money that I earned in my twenties, back when it was
actually a living wage /and/ /you/ /could/ /even/ /save/ /a/ /little/.
Now, a young, single person couldn't possibly live on the hourly rate
HD pays, /even/ /if/ /they/ /could/ /get/ /forty/ /hours/ /a/ /week/.

The suits who run these corporations wouldn't get out of bed for the
kind of money they pay their front-line workers. Then, those same
arseholes bitch about how impossible it is to find /and/ /keep/ good
staff. Duh!

Maybe if they paid less for never-ending training for constantly
quitting workers and used the same money for living wages...

Gerry
Xane T.

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:00:33 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."
wrote:

....accidentally sent the first reply too soon.

In article , Nate B
wrote:

seems happy and well paid for what he does

Anyone who uses "retail" and "well paid" in the same sentence can't be
taken seriously. ;-)

I think it really depends on the store you're in. Most companies have
good policies, it really does come down to whether the manager of the
store is a complete moron or not. Finding one that isn't is rare. To
the original poster: your best bet is to talk to people at the store
you're planning on working at.

I don't know how low minimum wage is where you are, but, up here in
Canada, I could weep for anyone dead-ended in any kind of retail job,
Home Depot or otherwise. The poor (pun intended) devils are working for
the same kind of money that I earned in my twenties, back when it was
actually a living wage /and/ /you/ /could/ /even/ /save/ /a/ /little/.
Now, a young, single person couldn't possibly live on the hourly rate
HD pays, /even/ /if/ /they/ /could/ /get/ /forty/ /hours/ /a/ /week/.

I always find it amusing when someone in one of these jobs takes it
overly seriously, as if this is the only job they'll ever have. That's
not to say one shouldn't try to do a good job. I worked at a craft
store for minimum wage and tried to keep on top of what most of the
major items in the store were for so I could help customers out, but
when you're spending every free second making sure every item is
perfectly placed, brown nose with management all the time, and
complain about any coworker that doesn't live up to your standard of
perfection, your time would be much better spent going to business
school so you can at least get paid well for acting like a manager.

The suits who run these corporations wouldn't get out of bed for the
kind of money they pay their front-line workers. Then, those same
arseholes bitch about how impossible it is to find /and/ /keep/ good
staff. Duh!

I have yet to work at a retail store/low end job where the management
actually cares about the employee, or has any clue how to run the
business they're in. I don't deal well with idiots telling me what to
do [i.e. a manager telling me to run credit cards from people who
didn't own them, to not have line holdups and keep people happy "Oh,
it's all right, my wife/brother/boss said I could use their/company
card to buy this!". Or assistant managers telling us to do things the
manager above them told us not to do], thus I never could hold a job
down at one of these places.

Maybe if they paid less for never-ending training for constantly
quitting workers and used the same money for living wages...

I was told at one of the companies I worked for that they were losing
money for the first 90 days of an employee working there due to
training, etc. I lasted a little longer than that, but not much. The
average employee turnover there was about 3 weeks. They're replaced
all the managers there now, and there's still a huge turnover.

Gerry

xrongor

"Nate B" wrote in message

"xrongor"

he told me he didnt give a rats ass what i knew about computers or
electronics. he wanted to know what i knew about SELLING computers and
electronics.

expect the same at lowes or home depot.

I'm not sure what your point is or how the heck you came to want to post
what you did based on the question other than a sharp paternal need to

offer
trivial career advice. I'm pretty sure anyone capable of posting to

Usenet
can probably figure out how to stock a shelf.

why are you so agressive nate? sheesh. if you werent in attack mode you
may have learned something too.

randy

Charlie Self

Mark responds:

I don't know how low minimum wage is where you are, but, up here in
Canada, I could weep for anyone dead-ended in any kind of retail job,
Home Depot or otherwise.

You speak of that which you know not.

Many of the people at HD (can't speak to Lowes specifically,
but they would have to be market competitive to survive) are
former tradesmen who are reasonably compensated for their
knowledge of the trades.

I've personally spoken to two at a local HD (U.S.) that were
willing to disclose their wage. One had retired from his
trade, the other was moonlighting. The first was earning
$16/hour, the second $13 (he was part time evenings, the
easiest shift to staff for these stores).

That's a far cry from minimum wage.

Some of the clerks may be at minimum, but I don't think many are. And those
with woodworking or contracting experience tend to do better. Know a guy in
Virginia who had retired as a contractor, moved to VA, built his house, his
daughter's house, was bored spitless. HD opened up and he got a job doing
demonstrations. 18 bucks an hour for about all the hours he wanted the work. He
didn't really need the money, but he had gone through hydorponic gardening
(commercially, small scale) and a couple other hobbies, so decided to keep
busy.

Not exactly minimum wage. Not what he made as a contractor, either, but
certainly better than $5.15. an hour.

Now, Walmart does pay that kind of low end bucks. Do we complain about the help
there?

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Patrick Fischer

Hmm... 1 mile north is the Borg. 1 mile south is the ACE. Am I looking to
buy a tool, bit, roll of duct tape or shower door?.. go North. Am I trying
to find a slightly smaller thingy that will fit my existing thingy and still
allow me to use the bigger thingy on Thursdays?..Go south.

Would you be happier at "the Borg" or the Ace? That's where you should look
to work. IMHO.
Pat..
wrote in message
Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David

Charlie Self

Hmm... 1 mile north is the Borg. 1 mile south is the ACE. Am I looking to
buy a tool, bit, roll of duct tape or shower door?.. go North. Am I trying
to find a slightly smaller thingy that will fit my existing thingy and still
allow me to use the bigger thingy on Thursdays?..Go south.

Would you be happier at "the Borg" or the Ace? That's where you should look
to work. IMHO.

Better hope to get a job with the one that has an opening. If either one does
in today's market.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Jerry Gilreath

RANT ON
Seems to me like every one of you all read something into the OP that just
wasn't there. The guy doesn't want to sell or manage, he wants to work the
night shift stocking. No customers, no asking if anything is on sale, just
stocking shelves when every one else is in bed.

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM.

Every damn one of you all read stuff that isn't there!! I contend with the
night stocking crew at Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Target, and I can go on and on, in
my line of work, but that's not the point. You all read something about BORG
and then start a useless ****ing match. Let's face it, they're here and
they're here to stay. Aint a damn thing you, me or anybody else can do about
it. Wal-Mart keeps getting thrown in amongst the mix, but where do you all
buy your food??? Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Piggly-Wiggly, or any number of other
major food chains. Are they not of the same BORG manner in which you speak?
They have taken many independent little grocery/general stores over. Nobody
bitches about them. Why? Because every last one of you go to them and buy
food for the table. So the OP may not have used the proper judgment in
asking his question here, but he just wanted a simple answer, then everybody
tells him things completely off the original question. The "leaders" of this
group do it more often than not, right along with their shills. Give the guy
a break.
RANT OFF

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Hmm... 1 mile north is the Borg. 1 mile south is the ACE. Am I looking to
buy a tool, bit, roll of duct tape or shower door?.. go North. Am I

trying
to find a slightly smaller thingy that will fit my existing thingy and

still
allow me to use the bigger thingy on Thursdays?..Go south.

Would you be happier at "the Borg" or the Ace? That's where you should

look
to work. IMHO.

Better hope to get a job with the one that has an opening. If either one

does
in today's market.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Charlie Self

Jerry Gilreath rants on:

hy? Because every last one of you go to them and buy
food for the table. So the OP may not have used the proper judgment in
asking his question here, but he just wanted a simple answer, then everybody
tells him things completely off the original question. The "leaders" of this
group do it more often than not, right along with their shills. Give the guy
a break.

Jaysus, mon. Take me to your leaders. If this group has leaders, I'll take
anarchy.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Bruce

I don't think you know what HD employees make. At least
down here in Northern California they do ok. A buddy of
mine went to work doing exactly what the OP was asking
about and he started out somewhere between $10 and $11
per hour. This was about 2 years ago and since then he
mentioned a raise at least a couple of times. He has a lot
of forklift experience but had never worked in a place like
that before. He likes it and most of the other employees
at the store seem to like their jobs ok. Minimum wage here
is $6.75/hr, (I think) so he may be coming close to doubling
that by now. Not going to get rich doing that but he has good
benefits and room for advancement. I doubt that any HD
anywhere would actually pay minimum wage. Around here
if you run a forklift you will definitely get above minimum
wage.
And in response to the rest of your rant...Damn The Man!
The Man is always trying to get me down! Workers unite!
Damn The Man!

Bruce
Redding, Ca.

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
.. .
In article , Nate B
wrote:

[...]

Tom Eller

One of my friends delivers to HD and lowes here in Columbus, OH. He's
always showing me huge gouges in his trailer, where the guys cant work a
forklift and dig into the bed. He said every once in a while they'll dump a
pallete over the side.

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
.. .
In article , Nate B
wrote:

[...]

Upscale

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
.. .
In article , Nate B
wrote:

Anyone who uses "retail" and "well paid" in the same sentence can't be
taken seriously. ;-)

I don't know how low minimum wage is where you are, but, up here in
Canada, I could weep for anyone dead-ended in any kind of retail job,
Home Depot or otherwise. The poor (pun intended) devils are working for

I tend to agree with Gerry, although Home Depot may be the exception. I'm
Canadian too and am familiar with the retail industry and the low wages that
the front line workers get. As to the people that work at Home Depot in
stores that I've gone to in Toronto, they appear to be typically more
experienced and knowledgeable that your average employee. Haven't asked, but
their outlook suggests that they're a little better compensated. They remind
me a little of the employees at Lee Valley Tools who are *all* extremely
experienced and knowledgeable. Don't know what they make either, but work
attitude goes a long way to making the premise true.

GARY

$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

Gary

Charlie Self

Gary35619 states:

$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
xrongor

quote on
'anything else you think should be taken into consideration'
quote off

people are simply mentioning the 'anything else'

randy

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:10:34 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:44:35 GMT, wrote:

Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David

I've known people working for HD a long time and they enjoy it. You
don't always get (nor should you expect) to always get a particular
shift, nor a particular department. A person who stocks prolly should
not expect more than $10 an hour, if that. Working at the
headquarters, is very very different, and HD has won awards for "a
good place to work." Personally, I'd prefer to work close to where I
live to avoid the (wasted) commute time.

That's a definate consideration. I could get a job working in
lighting production (which I did for about the past 7 years, and
off and on for about 20 years), paying a good bit better, but
that would require driving 1 hour+ each way every day, and I
would pretty much have to be married to it. I want to get away
from that, and just have a simple job I go do, and then go home
and try to enjoy my own life for a change.
What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go
*live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and
then you're off for a week or so at a time. I wanted to get on
with a big local lighting company that did a lot of touring and
offered such opportunities (I'd been thinking about that for 15
years), but they closed their location in this area just about the
time I finally wanted to go to work for them :-( That's life...oh
ain't it!

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:04:57 GMT, "Jerry Gilreath" wrote:

RANT ON
Seems to me like every one of you all read something into the OP that just
wasn't there. The guy doesn't want to sell or manage, he wants to work the
night shift stocking. No customers, no asking if anything is on sale, just
stocking shelves when every one else is in bed.

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM.

Every damn one of you all read stuff that isn't there!!

That's what I was wondering about....and still am....

I contend with the
night stocking crew at Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Target, and I can go on and on, in
my line of work, but that's not the point. You all read something about BORG
and then start a useless ****ing match. Let's face it, they're here and
they're here to stay. Aint a damn thing you, me or anybody else can do about
it. Wal-Mart keeps getting thrown in amongst the mix, but where do you all
buy your food??? Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Piggly-Wiggly, or any number of other
major food chains. Are they not of the same BORG manner in which you speak?
They have taken many independent little grocery/general stores over. Nobody
bitches about them. Why? Because every last one of you go to them and buy
food for the table. So the OP may not have used the proper judgment in
asking his question here,

Well, I did ask if anyone could suggest a better place since I know my
subject isn't what this group is about, but it's the best I could find to begin
with. I'd still like to find a better place btw, if anyone can suggest one. Or
even what to search for at Google or someplace. Searching for "night stocking
Lowe's" at http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search is what brought
this group to my attention. It came up many times...6 times on the first page, and
it also said "Related groups: rec.woodworking". The "job" related ngs I looked
at appear to be full of the same type of spam I trash from my email all the time.

but he just wanted a simple answer, then everybody
tells him things completely off the original question. The "leaders" of this
group do it more often than not, right along with their shills. Give the guy
a break.
RANT OFF

Maybe people tend to want to know more than they really do, or something
like that?

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 21:30:20 -0800, "Bruce" wrote:

I don't think you know what HD employees make. At least
down here in Northern California they do ok. A buddy of
mine went to work doing exactly what the OP was asking
about and he started out somewhere between $10 and $11
per hour.

That's the impression I got from someone a few years ago.

This was about 2 years ago and since then he
mentioned a raise at least a couple of times. He has a lot
of forklift experience but had never worked in a place like
that before. He likes it and most of the other employees
at the store seem to like their jobs ok.

That's another thing...every HD or Lowe's employee I've
talked to has liked their job, which means a lot to me. The
only real complaint I've heard was from a guy in a paint
dept. who said they are understaffed in his oppinion, so he
can't get things accomplished the way he feels they should
be. He was considering transferring to another store, but
wanted to stay with the company.

Minimum wage here
is $6.75/hr, (I think) so he may be coming close to doubling
that by now. Not going to get rich doing that but he has good
benefits and room for advancement.

Thanks for all that...those are all things that are very
important to me.

I doubt that any HD
anywhere would actually pay minimum wage.

So do I, and wonder why someone would present such
an ignorant bit of "information" to anyone else, especially
in a public forum.

Around here
if you run a forklift you will definitely get above minimum
wage.
And in response to the rest of your rant...Damn The Man!
The Man is always trying to get me down! Workers unite!
Damn The Man!

Bruce
Redding, Ca.

Damn the SOB I'm currently working for...a greedy,
dishonest asshole who lies to and about his employees
for no apparent reason other than to hurt them, who
never realizes his own mistakes meaning that he makes
a lot of them (since he can't try to get over making them
if he won't even acknowledge them), at the expense of
those who are trying to work for him (as well as himself).
Not damn him to Hell, but damn him to what he deserves!!!

mp

$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

LPN?

Low Pressure Nurse?

Large Prehistoric Nurse?

Low Paid Nurse?

Let's Party Nurse?

Tom Watson

Now, y'all know damned well that's a Licensed Practical Nurse.

I have known (in the biblical sense ) some of these erstwhile
companions of the medical trade - and found them to be perfectly
suitable to the task at hand. Of course, this is all past tense - as
is most of my life.

YMMV (Lord, I miss seeing that here).

I'i'll agree up front that the licensing is suspec t.On Sun, 4 Apr
2004 14:31:02 -0700, "mp" wrote:

$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

LPN?

Low Pressure Nurse?

Large Prehistoric Nurse?

Low Paid Nurse?

Let's Party Nurse?

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Charlie Self

mp asks:

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

LPN?

Low Pressure Nurse?

Large Prehistoric Nurse?

Low Paid Nurse?

Let's Party Nurse?

Licensed practical nurse. Two year course. Registered nurse: I think currently
a 4 year course, used to be 3.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Bruce

Ok, so what does that mean? Most businesses that use
forklifts have good drivers and bad ones. Just like any other
job. The guy I know used to load my steel hauling truck
and was one of the best I've ever seen. I'm not too shabby
with a forklift myself. Have you ever ran a forklift? Ever
screw up and bump something or dump something? Anyone
who has used a forklift for a while and says they haven't
screwed up is lying.

Bruce
Redding, Ca.

"Bruce" wrote in message
A buddy of
mine went to work doing exactly what the OP was asking
about and he started out somewhere between $10 and $11
per hour. This was about 2 years ago and since then he
mentioned a raise at least a couple of times. He has a lot
of forklift experience but had never worked in a place like
that before.

Snip
Around here
if you run a forklift you will definitely get above minimum
wage.
Bruce
Redding, Ca.

Bruce

wrote:

This was about 2 years ago and since then he
mentioned a raise at least a couple of times. He has a lot
of forklift experience but had never worked in a place like
that before. He likes it and most of the other employees
at the store seem to like their jobs ok.

Minimum wage here
is $6.75/hr, (I think) so he may be coming close to doubling
that by now. Not going to get rich doing that but he has good
benefits and room for advancement.

Thanks for all that...those are all things that are very
important to me.

You bet. I'm sure HD's are a little different depending upon
where it's located.

I doubt that any HD
anywhere would actually pay minimum wage.

So do I, and wonder why someone would present such
an ignorant bit of "information" to anyone else, especially
in a public forum.

Because some people on this forum want to think they
know something about every topic and post accordingly.
In this case the guy is obviously a bitter old man, (or at
least thinks like one) and really thinks that if it ain't a
"Mom and Pop" store it must be evil. Probably still
shops at the stores he hates too.

Around here
if you run a forklift you will definitely get above minimum
wage.
And in response to the rest of your rant...Damn The Man!
The Man is always trying to get me down! Workers unite!
Damn The Man!

Bruce
Redding, Ca.

Damn the SOB I'm currently working for...a greedy,
dishonest asshole who lies to and about his employees
for no apparent reason other than to hurt them, who
never realizes his own mistakes meaning that he makes
a lot of them (since he can't try to get over making them
if he won't even acknowledge them), at the expense of
those who are trying to work for him (as well as himself).
Not damn him to Hell, but damn him to what he deserves!!!

Yeah, well, welcome to the world of working for someone else.
I've had good bosses and bad ones in all sorts of types of work.
Some lines of work lend themselves to having a disproportionate
number of assholes compared to others. The best boss I've ever
had has been myself. But then I have to deal with customers and
just like bosses, some are nice and some aren't. But without
those pesky customers all my job would be is a hobby.

Bruce
Redding, Ca.

JPLipe

Licensed practical nurse. Two year course. Registered nurse: I think
currently
a 4 year course, used to be 3

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

John
Charlie Self

JP Lipe responds:

Licensed practical nurse. Two year course. Registered nurse: I think
currently
a 4 year course, used to be 3

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

Ouch. Watched 60 Minutes last night and that was scary enough. OK. My mother
was an RN, but she started in, IIRC, 1931, maybe 1930, with 3 years at Yonkers
General Hospital as a training field. Got a granddaughter who is an LPN, 2 year
course. My mother was in NY, Kathy in VA, but both seem to have fairly
stringent licensing standards. Mom retired, many years ago now, as acting
adminstrator (would not title her "administrator" because she lacked a BS). She
was also nursing services director and a major motivator of the campaign to
build a new hospital, helping collect an awful lot of money in a few years. The
hospital board's gratitude extended so far that they didn't cancel her health
coverage over and above Medicare for the first year she was retired.

The blessings of Westchester County and environs.

Long time ago now.
Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Phisherman wrote:

My college sweetheart graduated the same time I did. I started out
making more money as a computer programmer than she did as a
registered nurse. But in the end, she wins, and I'm out of a job for
months and months.

Yep. when one of us loses our job, we're out of work for hours and hours.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

JPLipe wrote:

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

I know several people who flunked the exam who wished that were so.