Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

Old March 3rd 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?
Old March 3rd 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 10:23 AM blueman spake thus:

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

My guess: yes, and maybe 2:1 (2 parts thinner). Heck, easy enough to
try. If you do, please report your results back here.

- a Usenet "apology"
Old March 3rd 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I do it all the time. Many brands say "Do not thin over x
percentage" or something like that. But that is partly to sell more,
partly to not violate the VOCs laws and partly because it is a
different product and won't brush or spray or dry as they indicate in
their instructions. But once the spirits dry out you are left with an
identical product, just a thinner coat.

3:1 Spirits to Poly is my formula. It will take a lot of stirring to
get it well mixed and should be re-stirred on occasion as it will
start to settle.

I like to brush it on and really flood the surface and work it with
the brush to break any surface tension and make sure it gets into the
grain. Then wipe it down with a smooth cloth that has been saturated
and rung partly dry, wiping it down to a consistent thin film.

It will start to tack up pretty fast but I always wait a minute or two
after I'm done doing the wipe down to look for any drips or dry-ish
spots but you only have a little time, just use a liitle wetter rag to
do touch up if it's starting to tack.

Watch for drip-outs or anti-wicking from seams of moldings and joints
for a few minutes also.

You can do 400 scuff sand in bewteen and do many coats until you have
what you want. I try to not sand until last coat but depends on how
much dust, wood grain raise, etc.

Old March 3rd 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

3:1 Spirits to Poly is my formula. It will take a lot of stirring to
get it well mixed and should be re-stirred on occasion as it will
start to settle.

Do you have a Harbor Freight Miracle Function tool? If so, try sticking the
running blade in the mixture of oil and thinner.

Old March 4th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:26 -0500, blueman wrote:

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I've used naptha to thin as well. It evaporates very quickly, and
allows re-coating earlier.

-Zz
Old March 4th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I like a mix of equal parts Poly, Turpentine and Tung Oil, I think the Tung
Oil helps pop the grain a little.

Old March 4th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" writes:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

3:1 Spirits to Poly is my formula. It will take a lot of stirring to
get it well mixed and should be re-stirred on occasion as it will
start to settle.

Do you have a Harbor Freight Miracle Function tool? If so, try sticking the
running blade in the mixture of oil and thinner.

Since I tend to be a bit dense at times, I just want to verify that you
mean the Multi-function tool.
And have you tried this?
Old March 4th 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx writes:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:26 -0500, blueman wrote:

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I've used naptha to thin as well. It evaporates very quickly, and
allows re-coating earlier.

The regular (non wipe-on) Minwax poly claims you can recoat after 4-6 hours.
How much faster can you recoat when diluted with Naptha?

I would have (naively perhaps) thought that waiting for the Naptha to
evaporate would still leave you with the poly which would then take the
same more or less 4-6 hours to dry though maybe a bit less since you end
up applying a thinner coat.
Old March 4th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Not to be a naysayer but after hearing about these cool mixtures of
varnish, turp and tung I gave it a try. I liked it at first but I soon
saw that the second caot and beyond, the oil just pooled rather than
soaking in. I had a bad situation where after about a week when the
oil started drying out my finish collapsed and suddenly I had all
these dry grain lines in my Sapele (like mohogany) grain.

On Mar 3, 3:53*pm, "d.williams" wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I like a mix of equal parts Poly, Turpentine and Tung Oil, I think the Tung
Oil helps pop the grain a little.

Thinner or Mineral Spirits? Leon[_6_] Woodworking 25 November 3rd 09 05:08 AM
mineral spirits Lee Woodworking 7 September 9th 07 01:34 PM
Wipe on poly -- wipe off stain? Richard Cranium Woodworking 7 July 16th 06 03:33 PM
Removing smell of mineral spirits [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 22nd 05 06:26 PM
Diluted poly versus wipe-on poly toller Woodworking 10 February 1st 05 08:37 PM