Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you identify the type of wood on this (bathroom) vanity

Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...erside-new.jpg
http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...rside2-new.jpg

(Note the strip at the bottom is the natural unstained color of the wood)

1b. Vanity top - top side
Here is a shot of part of the vanity top where some of the finish has
worn off

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...op_topside.jpg

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_door-new.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

Birch plainsawn ply

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

Birch plainsawn ply

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness
wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't
"look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood
and not plywood - is that possible?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Birch - Guessing plywood. A lot of vanity and other cabinets built
with that material.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

blueman wrote:
dpb writes:
blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

Birch plainsawn ply

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness
wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't
"look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

Solid-core (cabinet ply). I didn't look at anything except one face
shot owing to very slow dialup. It's ply veneer on the face. Look more
carefully and I suspect you'll be able to see the thin surfaces. Look
at an end instead of a side and you'll likely be able to see the core
strips as well (assuming they're not faced or something).

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood
and not plywood - is that possible?

Yes, that's possible altho again could be a solid-core ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is Luan. There is a very standard method for refinishing Luan.
Carefully go around the entire edge of the vanity with a razor knife
to break any caulking seal. Carefully pry the entire vanity away from
the wall and floor. Carefully dismantle enitire vanity with long
swinging glances of a 2 lb sledge hammer. Carefully sweep up the
debris and place in a dumpster. Drive to Home Depot, find the bathroom
vanity isle and select a new vanity.

On Mar 3, 7:22*am, blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

* *http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...erside-new.jpg
* *http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...rside2-new.jpg

* *(Note the strip at the bottom is the natural unstained color of the wood)

1b. Vanity top - top side
* * Here is a shot of part of the vanity top where some of the finish has
* * worn off

* *http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Va...op_topside.jpg

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
* *same wood as the top)

* *http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_door-new.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
dpb writes:
blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

Birch plainsawn ply

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness
wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't
"look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is
the same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood
and not plywood - is that possible?

I agree re Philippine mahogany and you are *very* unlikely to have solid
wood rather than ply unless you live in Hawaii...solid Philippine mahogany
is (was) common there.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 7:37 AM dpb spake thus:

blueman wrote:

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

Ackshooly, it's spelled "lauan".

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 9:44 AM, blueman wrote:
writes:
blueman wrote:
Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood
type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

Birch plainsawn ply

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness
wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't
"look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the
same wood as the top)

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not
related to the real mahoganies)

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood
and not plywood - is that possible?

If you look at the picture of the back of the door you can see plywood,
which looks like it may have also been used as edging/banding?

I agree about being a dead ringer for Luan veneered plywood.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

*writes:
blueman wrote:
[...]

That reminds me of something...something about a hatch to the head on
a tuna boat...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 4:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:

That reminds me of something...something about a hatch to the head on
a tuna boat...

The old blind carpenter joke ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

That reminds me of something...something about a hatch to the head on
a tuna boat...

The old blind carpenter joke ...

HEY BUDDY!. You're offending Niel.....