Installing a Wixey Planer Height Guage

Old February 27th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Installing a Wixey Planer Height Guage

I just bought a Wixey Height Gauge for my DeWalt 735 planer. The
installation instructions seem straightforward enough, but does anyone
have experience installing the guide? If so, is there anything I
should know or watch out for?

Thanks.

Joel
Old February 27th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 27, 2:39*pm, " wrote:
I just bought a Wixey Height Gauge for my DeWalt 735 planer. The
installation instructions seem straightforward enough, but does anyone
have experience installing the guide? If so, is there anything I
should know or watch out for?

Thanks.

Joel

NOT 735 specific, but ... this may still be of SOME help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47577

I like Wixey's products. Enjoy it!
Old February 27th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 27, 2:48*pm, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Feb 27, 2:39*pm, " wrote:

I just bought a Wixey Height Gauge for my DeWalt 735 planer. The
installation instructions seem straightforward enough, but does anyone
have experience installing the guide? If so, is there anything I
should know or watch out for?

Thanks.

Joel

NOT 735 specific, but ... this may still be of SOME help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47577

I like Wixey's products. *Enjoy it!

Getting warmer....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20346

:-)
Old February 28th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I just bought a Wixey Height Gauge for my DeWalt 735 planer. The
installation instructions seem straightforward enough, but does anyone
have experience installing the guide? If so, is there anything I
should know or watch out for?

Thanks.

Joel

I have one on my 15" Delta. The only thing I can suggest is that you locate
it so that you can slip a board under the gauge for calibration purposes.
Basically you run a board through the planer and actually remove material
and then you place the board under the sliding bar and then zero out the
gauge. When you remove the board the bar bottoms out and indicates the
thickness of the board and the height of the cutters.

Back to my suggestion of where to place it, it is helpful if you have the
bottom of the gauge equal to or higher than the in feed so that you have
room to actually slide the board under the gauge bar to calibrate the gauge.
My in feed extension will interfere with placing the board under the gauge.

Old March 2nd 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.woodworking

.... *The only thing I can suggest is that you locate it so that you can slip a board under the gauge for calibration purposes.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went ahead and installed it this afternoon. To calibrate it, I ran a
smooth board through the planer - taking off a small amount. Then I
just places that board under the bar and pressed the "Calibrate - On/
Off" button until the readout was zero. When I removed the board, the
setting of the cutter was on the readout. I checked it against a dial
caliper and they varied by 0.001. I'll take that kind of precision for
wood.

Joel