Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT -- Backer board question

Number one son drafted me to help remodel a bathroom. It has a sloped
ceiling over the tub and we need to put up some new backerboard over the
existing gypsum wallboard. The rafters are on 24 inch centers and only
two are positioned right -- one on the right edge, one 24 inches to the
left -- for screwing in the 45 inch wide backerboard. Question -- can I
use liquid nails to attach the left end and expect it to hold up once he
affixes his tile?

TIA

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:31*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/15/10 10:04 PM, wrote:

Number one son drafted me to help remodel a bathroom. *It has a sloped
ceiling over the tub and we need to put up some new backerboard over the
existing gypsum wallboard. The rafters are on 24 inch centers and only
two are positioned right -- one on the right edge, one 24 inches to the
left -- for screwing in the 45 inch wide backerboard. Question -- can I
use liquid nails to attach the left end and expect it to hold up once he
affixes his tile?

TIA

Larry

I wouldn't trust it.

I think the proper way to do it would be to install furring strips
perpendicular to the rafters, then screw the cement board to those.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I agree.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:04:04 -0600, the infamous
" scrawled the following:

Number one son drafted me to help remodel a bathroom. It has a sloped
ceiling over the tub and we need to put up some new backerboard over the
existing gypsum wallboard. The rafters are on 24 inch centers and only
two are positioned right -- one on the right edge, one 24 inches to the
left -- for screwing in the 45 inch wide backerboard. Question -- can I
use liquid nails to attach the left end and expect it to hold up once he
affixes his tile?

It is very unlikely that you'll get it stiff enough to handle the
tile, and all it takes is one little flex to pop it.

I'd drop the drywall and add framing members as necessary, then affix
the Wonderboard or Hardibacker to it, seal, and tile. Figure an extra
couple hours for that, but it's done right.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:04*pm, " wrote:
Number one son drafted me to help remodel a bathroom. *It has a sloped
ceiling over the tub and we need to put up some new backerboard over the
existing gypsum wallboard. *The rafters are on 24 inch centers and only
two are positioned right -- one on the right edge, one 24 inches to the
left -- for screwing in the 45 inch wide backerboard. *Question -- can I
use liquid nails to attach the left end and expect it to hold up once he
affixes his tile?

TIA

Larry

Hack away a horizontal strip of gypsum and replace it with 1/2"
plywood across the studs as a nailer , cut the strip of plywood first
and use it as a guide for hacking.