Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Coming

The K-rails and sandbags are in place.

The rains are coming ashore along with the winds.

Three storms in sucession with 4"-8" rain at the beach, double or
triple that in the burn areas.

Mud slides are expected.

People are packed, ready to evacuate if required.

From the sounds of it, it's going to be quite a ride.

To the best of my knowledge, Abby is still in port.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Coming- 1st Update

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:03:16 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

The rains got here, about 2" outside my window, other places more.

The mud slides have started.

One guy had 7 ft of mud that slid into his back yard which he needs to
get out before next rain tomorrow lest he finds the whole house under
mud from the next rain.

Estimate 25 dump truck loads will do it.

Have no clue where they will haul it.

2nd storm comes in on Tuesday.

Stay tuned.

We were supposed to be hit by those up here but so far, it has been
less than 1/4 inch. Just a few very minor sprinkles have hit so far
today. I heard the wind gust twice yesterday, maybe 12 knots, not the
43mph gusts they predicted for us. Don't get me wrong: I'm -glad- it
hasn't hit us...yet.

My buddy in LoCal said that the Homey Despots and Blowes are all out
of sandbags. I told him if worse comes to worst, he and his wife can
just jump into his C-Dory in the side yard and either tether there or
float safely out to sea until the storms stop.

Good luck, guys. Now's a good time to start practicing holding your
breath. gd&r

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Coming- 2nd Update

We've been getting hammered in the SF Bay Area as well.
LIghtning is a rare thing here, but this storm has produced
some pretty nice booms and rolling thunder that lasts
10 or 15 seconds. Winds gust, but nothing in the 50-60 mph
range - yet.

We don't get much "weather" in the Bay Area. But when we
do - it's a doozy - exaggerated by its rareness. Drivers
don't seem to understand that when the road conditions
change, so should their driving mode change. Accidents
everywhere - and people still don't slow down. Calfornia
drivers seem to believe that driving at 70 mph - is a
constitutional right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote in news:4B578280.67D9
@accesscom.com:

We've been getting hammered in the SF Bay Area as well.
LIghtning is a rare thing here, but this storm has produced
some pretty nice booms and rolling thunder that lasts
10 or 15 seconds. Winds gust, but nothing in the 50-60 mph
range - yet.

We don't get much "weather" in the Bay Area. But when we
do - it's a doozy - exaggerated by its rareness. Drivers
don't seem to understand that when the road conditions
change, so should their driving mode change. Accidents
everywhere - and people still don't slow down. Calfornia
drivers seem to believe that driving at 70 mph - is a
constitutional right.

Charlie,

I hear ya. I spoke to my son who lives in SF near Candlestick Park. He
said a crash of thunder woke him up around 3am the other night. He rides
mass transit so does not have to deal with the idiots on the road. Down
here in San Diego, they drive like maniacs regardless of the road
conditions. I try to stay off the freeways when it rains down here.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

We were supposed to be hit by those up here but so far, it has been
less than 1/4 inch.

Were you the Jaques in Oregon quoted on CNN re Obamacare?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
. 207.159...
[...]

Thirty years ago they used to slow to a crawl on the freeways when it
rained. Must be a lot of newbies!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:48:55 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

We were supposed to be hit by those up here but so far, it has been
less than 1/4 inch.

Were you the Jaques in Oregon quoted on CNN re Obamacare?

I rather doubt it. I haven't been inundated by other news services
wanting my opinion yet. (I pray I never am.)

What did they say?

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:24:00 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

We've been getting hammered in the SF Bay Area as well.
LIghtning is a rare thing here, but this storm has produced
some pretty nice booms and rolling thunder that lasts
10 or 15 seconds. Winds gust, but nothing in the 50-60 mph
range - yet.

We don't get much "weather" in the Bay Area. But when we
do - it's a doozy - exaggerated by its rareness. Drivers
don't seem to understand that when the road conditions
change, so should their driving mode change. Accidents
everywhere - and people still don't slow down. Calfornia
drivers seem to believe that driving at 70 mph - is a
constitutional right.

We are getting heavy rains. Finally, washing away the road salt and
the lawns are greening up. When I lived in LA, when it started to
rain after months of drought, the roads would be initially very slick
with engine oil. I'll take January over July-August any day. Rainy
days are good days for woodworking anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:48:55 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

We were supposed to be hit by those up here but so far, it has been
less than 1/4 inch.

Were you the Jaques in Oregon quoted on CNN re Obamacare?

I rather doubt it. I haven't been inundated by other news services
wanting my opinion yet. (I pray I never am.)

What did they say?

It's all down to AGW ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Coming- 4th Update

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:26:41 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

This is the 4th day, but we're gaining on it, I think.

Another 3/4" in the rain gage outside my window, headed toward 6" in
the gage since Monday.

Here on the left coast, take your pick, S/D, L/A or S/F, they are all
getting hammered.

We had some folks head out to Ridgecrest Wed & Thu and even the desert is
getting hammered. All the way from Ridgecrest to Tucson -- they were in
rain the whole way and all of it heavy rain.

We finally got some of that rain up her in SoOr. About half an inch
from last night on, steady and fairly light, as usual. I like it like
that.

--
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
The amount of work is the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Coming Revisited

It's here.

The rains have returned to SoCal.

The hillsides appear to be holding.

At least our rain is getting measured in inches, not in feet like they
measure the "Partly Cloudy" the folks back east are getting.

As the saying goes, ".. and this to shall pass."

Lew