Pradeep Gupta

Default Grizzly 6" Jointer Experience

Here are some observations on my recent expriences with a new Grizzly 6"
Jointer (1182Z);
1. A bag of hardware and the assembly instructions were missing from the
carton. When called, Grizzly agreed to send those. I have not received them
yet.
2. The finish of the unit was very good. The base was well constructed and
solid and the jointer tables were flat.
3. But the fence was not parallel to the tables (an offset of .25 inch from
end to end) . When the fence was adjusted to make it parallel, a small
shallow circular opening at the bottom of the fence to accomodate the
cutterhead pulley moved sideways, causing some rubbing with the belt. I
talked to the Grizzly tech guy, he suggested adjusting some more with the
screws to solve the problem.
4. The knives were not level to the outfeed table. I started adjusting the
knives using a magna-set. Based on my experience, I would strongly suggest
to Grizzly to replace their small 8 mm rather soft-metal wrench with a
longer better quality wrench (I bought mine at Sears) to minimize possible
bruises and injuries to hands and fingers while tightening and retightening
those 12 little bolts so close to 6 '' long very sharp knives. Also, based
on my unfortunate experience, make sure that knives are not set too high
otherwise they will hit the infeed table (even though they will clear the
outfeed table, which may be the only reference you might be using while
tinkering with the knives).
5. The table surfaces are smooth, but the levers are jerky, no matter how
carefully you adjust the gib screws. I do not know whether Grizzly had
sufficiently lubricated the mating surface of the sliding dove tails on
which the tables sit. I would strongly advise others to get handwheels
rather than levers. They are very frustrating while you try to make those
tiny last adjustments of the outfeed table to level with the knives.
6. The motor pully and the cutter head pully were out of plane by about
3/16", so I had to use a pully puller to bring those in same plane.
I am not putting down Grizzly but some of those experiences were not fun. By
the way, Grizzly tech staff is very cooperative.

martin

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

--
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen.....
Jimi Hendrix
"Pradeep Gupta" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Pradeep Gupta

I fully agree with you, now (with some tinkering, as you said) it is a good
machine with a significantly lower price. I wonder though, don't other brand
machines require the same amount of tinkering?
"martin" wrote in message
[...]

Joseph Smith

I got the model. Didn't have any of the problems you had and I'm
sorry you had to deal with them. I get real ticked off at stuff like
that myself. I deal have a problem where the pulleys would not line up
for me ( more of a offset to the side ) I think when the belt stretches a
little
maybe it'll take care of it. But the goup on the cuuterhead was aPITA
to clean off and I ended up slicing my finger open a little during the
process.

Joey
[...]

Pradeep Gupta

I just did some trial runs on 4 to 6 inch wide oak and maple boards. The
results were excellent.And the machine sounds very smooth and businesslike,
because I did level my knives carefully. I will enjoy this machine for a
long time.
By the way, does anyone have any info on wiring this motor for 220V rather
than 110V. I do have both in my garage, and it would be more convenient to
run at 220V because my DC is also 220V.I cannot see the motor template
because the base cabinet is a solid cabinet with the motor name plate on the
wrong side, and the Grizzly documentation does not include any details on
motor circuit.
"Joseph Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Davis

"Pradeep Gupta" wrote in message
. com...
I fully agree with you, now (with some tinkering, as you said) it is a

good
machine with a significantly lower price. I wonder though, don't other

brand
machines require the same amount of tinkering?

I know I paid more and bought from a local dealer, so I hopefully could
expect more. I bought the 6" powermatic jointer (the one with the 66"
table). Assembly consisted of installing the table on the base, installing
the fence on the table, and tensioning the belt. Basically, I used it out of
the box. I don't see how any manufacturer could ship a big heavy tool like
this with factory settings and hope they stay set. But that was my
experience.

Bob

Alan Bierbaum

Read page 6 of the manual (available online ar Grizzly.com).

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:11:21 GMT, "Pradeep Gupta"
wrote:

I just did some trial runs on 4 to 6 inch wide oak and maple boards. The
results were excellent.And the machine sounds very smooth and businesslike,
because I did level my knives carefully. I will enjoy this machine for a
long time.
By the way, does anyone have any info on wiring this motor for 220V rather
than 110V. I do have both in my garage, and it would be more convenient to
run at 220V because my DC is also 220V.I cannot see the motor template
because the base cabinet is a solid cabinet with the motor name plate on the
wrong side, and the Grizzly documentation does not include any details on
motor circuit.

Alan Bierbaum

web site: http://www.calanb.com

Montyhp

Maybe not so common. I have a dust collector, cabinet saw, and 8" jointer.
All well adjusted right out of the box. I am sure their quality varies, but
many people have no trouble at all.

Montyhp
"martin" wrote in message
[...]

B a r r y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:01:10 GMT, "martin"
wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

The Rigid, which appears to use many of the same parts as the
Grizzly, is $369 at a local BORG. A local dealer sells the Jet 6" for
$439. Delta's got Chiwanese machine that sells for about $375.

Compared apples to apples, Grizzly pretty much gives you what you pay
for. The Grizzly 6" is NOT a Powermatic long bed, and it's not a
DJ-15.

Barry
martin

Your telling me to compare apples to apples and your comparing a grizzly
jointer to a powermatic and a delta DJ-15 you make no sense what so ever.I
was comparing similar machine like the jet jointer wich now sells for $500
and the delta 1hp closed cabinet base $500 as well not the Chiwanese 3/4 hp
open base jointer.So at $380 great machine great price.

--
wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

The Rigid, which appears to use many of the same parts as the
Grizzly, is $369 at a local BORG. A local dealer sells the Jet 6" for
$439. Delta's got Chiwanese machine that sells for about $375.

Compared apples to apples, Grizzly pretty much gives you what you pay
for. The Grizzly 6" is NOT a Powermatic long bed, and it's not a
DJ-15.

Barry

Greg O

wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

My feelings too. I considered a Griz when I peeled some moldy money from my
wallet and bought my Jet closed stand jointer. Sure I paid $500 for it, but
the differance form $380 to $500 seems trivial when you spread the $120 over
several years!
Greg

Greg O

"martin" wrote in message
Hey if you like paying $120 for a different color paint thats your
option.....

More than the paint color!
More accessable "front" hand wheels instead of "under" hand wheels, or
levers. I wanted wheels.
Questionable quality from Grizzly, some people love them, some hate them.
Look at where this thread started!! (zero complaints on the Jet jointer from
what I could find)
No adjustments needed out of the box, knives were set dead on, checked with
a dial indicator, outfeed was set a tad low was all.
Probably took me 1/2 hour to assemble, check over and start making chips.
All the hardware was in the box! Easy to understand directions.
No worries about freight, many complaints from people of Grizzly tools
coming in crashed.
The biggest reason,
Local sevicing dealer, I like to look the person I buy from in the eye, if I
have a question or problem.
All this was worth the $120 extra to me.
I am not saying the Grizzly is not a good machine, I just felt that the Jet
was better.
Then considering I may have this jointer for 20 years, or more, the extra
$120 works out to less than 6 bucks a year, or less!
Greg

B a r r y

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:46:47 GMT, "martin"
wrote:

Your telling me to compare apples to apples and your comparing a grizzly
jointer to a powermatic and a delta DJ-15 you make no sense what so ever.

Try reading my original message again.

I compared the Grizzly to other Chiwanese imports, such as the Rigid,
Jet, and cheap Delta.

I have a Rigid, which I bought for LESS than the Grizzly. G

Barry
Mutt

I bought a used griz 6" jointer 10 years ago, and it gave me fine
service; yes, it took some tweaking, and yes, adjustments were needed
from time to time, and yes, some of the fit and finish left a bit to
be desired, but I had no complaints. I saved my pennies and did
upgrade to an 8" DJ-20 recently (having sold the griz for precisely
what I paid for it 10 years ago) and I must say that I'm glad I made
the investment over the 8" griz, as the extra $400 or so I paid gave
me a much better machine in every respect, and it was right on the
money right out of the box. I take a long view of things and over the
next 20 years of use I will certainly get out of it, its worth the
money to me.

wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

My feelings too. I considered a Griz when I peeled some moldy money from my
wallet and bought my Jet closed stand jointer. Sure I paid $500 for it, but
the differance form $380 to $500 seems trivial when you spread the $120 over
several years!
Greg

Pradeep Gupta

I started this thread. My intension was not to start a brand war but to
highlight some of the assembly steps to inform others on how to get great
performance out of Grizzly 1182Z. I am very satisfied with the jointer both
from price and performance perspectives and look forward to buy other
equipment from Grizzly in the future. I appreciated Grizzly's prompt
customer services of other so called "better" brands.
om...

wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece

of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great

price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

My feelings too. I considered a Griz when I peeled some moldy money from

my
wallet and bought my Jet closed stand jointer. Sure I paid $500 for it,

but
the differance form $380 to $500 seems trivial when you spread the $120

over
several years!
Greg

Greg O

"Pradeep Gupta" wrote in message
m...
I started this thread. My intension was not to start a brand war but to
highlight some of the assembly steps to inform others on how to get great
performance out of Grizzly 1182Z.

Don't sweat it!
Some people like the Griz, some like Ridgid, or Delta, or Jet, and on you
go.
I like my Jet, it does the job I want. Someone that owns a long bed
Powermatic probably wonders why I would "settle" for the Jet. Then there are
others that buy equipmnt that makes Powermatic look cheap!
It just comes down to everyone's perciption of value, their individual
needs, and how deep their pockets are!
Greg

Mutt

Gee, sorry if I wandered OT (still trying to figure out how....) so
I'll just shut up now since I didn't start the thread......

"Pradeep Gupta" wrote in message om...
I started this thread. My intension was not to start a brand war . . . .snip

Montyhp

"Mutt" wrote in message
om...
I bought a used griz 6" jointer 10 years ago, and it gave me fine
service; yes, it took some tweaking, and yes, adjustments were needed
from time to time, and yes, some of the fit and finish left a bit to
be desired, but I had no complaints. I saved my pennies and did
upgrade to an 8" DJ-20 recently (having sold the griz for precisely
what I paid for it 10 years ago) and I must say that I'm glad I made
the investment over the 8" griz, as the extra $400 or so I paid gave
me a much better machine in every respect, and it was right on the
money right out of the box. I take a long view of things and over the
next 20 years of use I will certainly get out of it, its worth the
money to me.

At the risk of starting a war: How is the DJ-20 much better in every
respect? I know it is different and the delta adjustment system may have
some subtle advantages, but my G0800 has been flawless except for the fact
that the set screws on the upper pulley backed out (a little loctite fixed
that).

Montyhp
wrote:

It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece

of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great

price.

FWIW, $380 for a jointer isn't exactly a GREAT price. G

My feelings too. I considered a Griz when I peeled some moldy money from

my
wallet and bought my Jet closed stand jointer. Sure I paid $500 for it,

but
the differance form $380 to $500 seems trivial when you spread the $120

over
several years!
Greg

Mutt

War?? I'm a lover,not a fighter.... I glad your experience with griz
was a positive one, so were mine. What I mean by "better in every
respect" is yes, you are correct there are some subtle advantages to a
DJ-20 which may or may not make any difference to a particular user,
such as the bed alignment, the fence design, etc. But the beds do not
have the 5" extender that at least one of the Griz 8" jointers do, the
DJ-20 has replacable "soft" metal inserts at the blade rotor opening,
and overall the fit and finish is of higher quality, which I freely
admit you pay extra for. Now, don't misunderstand me, I have owned 3
grizz products, a table saw, jointer and a drill press. Each has had
some minor but annoying "issues" such as you described with the pulley
set screws, like finding loose bolts on trunions, having to file down
milled iron edges, a motor burnt out (which griz immediately replaced)
etc., but others required me to shim the jointer to get it to adjust
correctly after hours of diddling around; some screws stripped threads
in iron which I had to retap, and things like that. Did each machine
cut, joint, drill accurately and give me fine service for a number of
years, yes, after spending some time fine tuning each machine (which I
was fine with and was willing/able to do). I am far from trashing
grizz as I feel I got really good value for each machine at the time,
and I realize that folks have horror tales to tell about every
manufacturer, including Delta, Jet, Powermatic, you name them; but my
tales about griz are not horror stories. All I am saying is that my
particular DJ-20 has excellent fit and finish, zero assembly or
operational issues, was flat, true and well adjusted out of the crate,
and since november I have face planed about 600 board feet of 7 to 8"
wide maple and poplar without so much as a tweak to the beast, and to
me that machine was worth an additional $400 (and not to gloat, but
the deal I got at the wood show was free of shipping charge, threw in
a delta mobile base for free, and I got a coupon for a free PC 690
router, so take off another, say, $200 for those two goodies and we
are actually at a net $200 difference, but YMMV). I daresay that
resale value (after my heirs sprinkle my ashes in a hardwood forest up
in the Appalachians somewhere) will likely be higher with a DJ-20 than
a griz, but I'll be dead when this puppy gets sold so I really don't
give a s*** about that.