Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Template Material

On 3/20/2010 11:31 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

First post, here.

I recently chose a non-standard mortise-and-tenon design for a project.
Had need of a light, preferably transparent material from which to
make a template for laying out the pattern on the mortises/tenons.
Couldn't find anything like that around the shop, so I used a thin
strip of softwood, which was a pain.

I had some thin, clear plastic which came close, but was too hard to
cut with x-acto.

Needs to be:
Light and thin.
Transparent or translucent.
easy to cut, shape.

Any ideas?

Thx,

Really light: clear report/essay binder cover from Office Depot/Max

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

First post, here.

I recently chose a non-standard mortise-and-tenon design
for a project. Had need of a light, preferably transparent
material from which to make a template for laying out the
pattern on the mortises/tenons. Couldn't find anything like
that around the shop, so I used a thin strip of softwood,
which was a pain.

I had some thin, clear plastic which came close, but was
too hard to cut with x-acto.

Needs to be:
Light and thin.
Transparent or translucent.
easy to cut, shape.

Any ideas?

Thx,

"Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of
Jungle Rule."

I was taught this by my 12 year old son (He's 32 now). He
was making model airplanes out of solid blocks of pine. To
get the right outlined for the fusalage, wing, and tail he
would trace the outline on a piece of tracing paper. He then
rubbed glue stick on the back and stuck it on the block. He
would then bandsaw near the line, and finally sand to the
line. Perfect outline every time, and the paper peels off
clean. I now use the same technique professionally in
woodworking, plastics, and metalworking. But I do the
outlines in CAD and attach with 3M 77 spray adhesive.

Ken
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:54:17 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Really light: clear report/essay binder cover from Office Depot/Max

Thanks, I think it'll work for smaller projects.

But it's limited to 8.5 x 11 " dimensions? The mortise/tenon thing
I just finished went 19".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:43:55 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

Roll of clear mactac?

The stuff's like "scotch tape" only thicker? How much
thicker?

I'd just pick some up, but I never heard of it before, and
Amazon's got only 65 " rolls for around $18.

Thx,

Request for material recommendation for a Titanium grade or similarlightweight material with high yield strength John2005 Metalworking 0 May 29th 08 03:24 AM
Stick Template Johnny_A_58 Home Repair 1 May 6th 08 03:48 PM
Dovetail template Max Woodworking 1 February 19th 08 07:41 PM
Help with router template Tom Woodworking 6 December 12th 04 11:51 PM
Template Bandsawing Jay Pique Woodworking 8 August 22nd 04 10:21 PM