Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

Default More on "Saw Stop"

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is some high speed
footage of the SawStop in action on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Joe
aka 10x

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is some high speed
footage of the SawStop in action on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Yeah - it's been posted before. I don't think there's a YouTube video on
SawStop that hasn't made its way to the group - or news article, or related
articles, or...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
10x wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is some high speed
footage of the SawStop in action on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Yeah - it's been posted before. I don't think there's a YouTube video on
SawStop that hasn't made its way to the group - or news article, or
related articles, or...

--

-Mike-

I've seen the hot dog plenty of times, but this it he first I've seen a real
finger. Time Warp is a favorite of mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen the hot dog plenty of times, but this it he first I've seen a real
finger. Time Warp is a favorite of mine.

Yeah. I was jes a tad bit skeptical. I had faith in it stopping
before taking off a finger, but not before it did jes a bit 'o damage.
Maybe at least break the skin and expose a couple of capillaries to
air, like a scratch. Amazing, to be sure, but not enough to pay a
couple thousand extra fer a table saw. I'll just practice good shop
safety and save the money for another tool ...or five!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd easily pay a few thou to get back the missing bit off one of my
fingers which was removed by a nasty ole RAS. The mistake I made could
have just as easily raked across the entire set of fingers on the left
hand but I was fortunate it was just a nib.

I don't think the Saw Stops are a few thou more, maybe almost a thou.
And a damn fine piece of equipment from the close looks I've taken.
I'll have one at some point. Wouldn't stand an employee in front of
anything less either.

But this is still America (for now), so until our Govt' says you must
buy it, you can make your own choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:33:35 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I'd easily pay a few thou to get back the missing bit off one of my
fingers which was removed by a nasty ole RAS. The mistake I made could
have just as easily raked across the entire set of fingers on the left
hand but I was fortunate it was just a nib.

If it were ObamaCare, you could wait until you sawed a finger off and then buy
the SawStop.

I don't think the Saw Stops are a few thou more, maybe almost a thou.
And a damn fine piece of equipment from the close looks I've taken.
I'll have one at some point. Wouldn't stand an employee in front of
anything less either.

SawStops are twice what I paid for my Unisaw. It's certainly not twice the
saw. If I had employees I likely would consider a SawStop cheap insurance.

But this is still America (for now), so until our Govt' says you must
buy it, you can make your own choice.

Not since yesterday it's not. Wait for more shoes to drop.

On 2010-03-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen the hot dog plenty of times, but this it he first I've seen a
real
finger. Time Warp is a favorite of mine.

Yeah. I was jes a tad bit skeptical. I had faith in it stopping
before taking off a finger, but not before it did jes a bit 'o damage.
Maybe at least break the skin and expose a couple of capillaries to
air, like a scratch. Amazing, to be sure, but not enough to pay a
couple thousand extra fer a table saw. I'll just practice good shop
safety and save the money for another tool ...or five!

nb

Hmmmm, when I cut a finger off on the table saw it ended up costing me
$11,000, more surgery 6 months later was another 4,000-5,000. I wish I had a
saw stop! I miss my finger! That's what happens because of a brain fart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I'd easily pay a few thou to get back the missing bit off one of my
fingers which was removed by a nasty ole RAS. The mistake I made could
have just as easily raked across the entire set of fingers on the left
hand but I was fortunate it was just a nib.

I don't think the Saw Stops are a few thou more, maybe almost a thou.
And a damn fine piece of equipment from the close looks I've taken.
I'll have one at some point. Wouldn't stand an employee in front of
anything less either.

SawStop doesn't give a MSRP that i could find on their web-site,

Dealer (base model) prices found on-line --
$3 grand for the cabinet saw
$1,600 for the contractor saw.

There are other contemporary on-line quotes of _over_ $4 grand for a
cabinet SawStop, by the tine you get the 'necessary' accessories.
(use a dado blade, you've got to have a different brake cartridge.
nearly $100 additional, etc. etc., ad nauseum.)

Aside: "Fine homebuilding" reported in 2003, that SawStop 2004 pricing
would be $699 for the contractor saw, and $2,199 for the cabinet saw.
That's a pretty hefty increase in circa 6 years. ($699 in 2004 is
a bit over $800 in today's money; $2,199 in 2004 is just over $2,500
of today's money.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen the hot dog plenty of times, but this it he first I've seen a
real
finger. Time Warp is a favorite of mine.

Yeah. I was jes a tad bit skeptical. I had faith in it stopping
before taking off a finger, but not before it did jes a bit 'o damage.
Maybe at least break the skin and expose a couple of capillaries to
air, like a scratch. Amazing, to be sure, but not enough to pay a
couple thousand extra fer a table saw. I'll just practice good shop
safety and save the money for another tool ...or five!

nb

The problem with practicing good shop safety is that you do not know
everything that could happen and therefore cannot possibly prevent every
type of injury. You certainly have the right to choose how safe you want to
be and how far to take precautions but "thinking that you will always
practice good shop safety" will keep you out of harms way is your first step
to becoming injured.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'd easily pay a few thou to get back the missing bit off one of my
fingers which was removed by a nasty ole RAS. The mistake I made could
have just as easily raked across the entire set of fingers on the left
hand but I was fortunate it was just a nib.

If it were ObamaCare, you could wait until you sawed a finger off and then
buy
the SawStop.

You can do that now...

I don't think the Saw Stops are a few thou more, maybe almost a thou.
And a damn fine piece of equipment from the close looks I've taken.
I'll have one at some point. Wouldn't stand an employee in front of
anything less either.

SawStops are twice what I paid for my Unisaw. It's certainly not twice
the
saw. If I had employees I likely would consider a SawStop cheap
insurance.

You must have gotten a "deal" on your Unisaw as I have not seen a SawStop
that goes for more than $5K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Al" wrote in message

Yeah. I was jes a tad bit skeptical. I had faith in it stopping
before taking off a finger, but not before it did jes a bit 'o damage.
Maybe at least break the skin and expose a couple of capillaries to
air, like a scratch. Amazing, to be sure, but not enough to pay a
couple thousand extra fer a table saw. I'll just practice good shop
safety and save the money for another tool ...or five!

nb

Hmmmm, when I cut a finger off on the table saw it ended up costing me
$11,000, more surgery 6 months later was another 4,000-5,000. I wish I had
a saw stop! I miss my finger! That's what happens because of a brain fart.

'~) and NO ONE has a big enough supply of Gas-X pills to keep'm safe for
ever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'd easily pay a few thou to get back the missing bit off one of my
fingers which was removed by a nasty ole RAS. The mistake I made could
have just as easily raked across the entire set of fingers on the left
hand but I was fortunate it was just a nib.

If it were ObamaCare, you could wait until you sawed a finger off and then
buy
the SawStop.

You can do that now...

But SawStop insurance won't cover the finger if it's purchased
afterwards.

I don't think the Saw Stops are a few thou more, maybe almost a thou.
And a damn fine piece of equipment from the close looks I've taken.
I'll have one at some point. Wouldn't stand an employee in front of
anything less either.

SawStops are twice what I paid for my Unisaw. *It's certainly not twice
the
saw. *If I had employees I likely would consider a SawStop cheap
insurance.

You must have gotten a "deal" on your Unisaw as I have not seen a SawStop
that goes for more than $5K.

3HP, LT, 2-wings, 50" Biesemeyer. $1600 a year ago. The SawStop was
$3295 at the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 9:29*am, "Leon" wrote:

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-25, Leon wrote:

be and how far to take precautions but "thinking that you will always
practice good shop safety" will keep you out of harms way is your first step
to becoming injured.

So, you're saying that MILLIONS of former woodworkers are morons and
they're all missing digits cuz Sawstop didn't exist? Who knew?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-25, Leon wrote:

be and how far to take precautions but "thinking that you will always
practice good shop safety" will keep you out of harms way is your first step
to becoming injured.

So, you're saying that MILLIONS of former woodworkers are morons and
they're all missing digits cuz Sawstop didn't exist? *Who knew? *

nb

No. Anybody can\does make a mistake and Saw Stop can\could've minimize
the cost of that mistake.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

On 2010-03-25, Leon wrote:

be and how far to take precautions but "thinking that you will always
practice good shop safety" will keep you out of harms way is your first
step
to becoming injured.

So, you're saying that MILLIONS of former woodworkers are morons and
they're all missing digits cuz Sawstop didn't exist? Who knew?

nb

No. Anybody can\does make a mistake and Saw Stop can\could've minimize
the cost of that mistake.

Just the thought of how much more money I would have to spend on a saw stop
and the repairs after an accident would be enough to keep me doubly alert.

Max (gad!! Now I'm afraid to use the damn saw.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 8:30*pm, "Max" wrote:

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

The problem with SawStop is not everyone can afford one. I think the
government should Subsidize the purchase of a SawStop over what we can
afford. I can afford a used Ryobi BT3000 and would like the subsidy sent
directly to my bank account.

Thanks in advance.
LD

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

The problem with practicing good shop safety is that you do not know
everything that could happen and therefore cannot possibly prevent every
type of injury.

Very true, but we can learn from the detail of other people's experiences.

Not a cosy read, and probably known to most of the present company, but
there's a list on my site at http://tinyurl.com/yjbmj8t

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK