Stanley #55 plane

Old January 16th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stanley #55 plane

If the Stanley #55 plane was such a good universal workhorse, why are
they not sold today? Or, are similar planes made today?
Old January 16th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

If the Stanley #55 plane was such a good universal workhorse, why
are they not sold today? Or, are similar planes made today?

Stanley have dropped a large proportion of its plane range because
the market has changed , with the advent of routers , portable
beltsanders and power planers many of the older planes became
uneconomical to produce as people moved away from them

I have been after a side fillister for years now but they havent been
in production for decades , replacement blades for plough planes are
unavailable as are the screwdriver tips for pump screwdrivers

Its just the changing nature of the trade unfortunatly

There are still companies out thier that are making similar products
to order , clifton being one of them but they are extremley expensive
although the quality is excellent.

How often on a building site do you see a joiner use hand
screwdrivers , planes , braces , drills you dont
Old January 16th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 8:19*am, "steve robinson"
I have been after a side fillister for years now but they havent been
in production for decades , replacement blades for plough planes are
unavailable as are the screwdriver tips for pump screwdrivers

By "pump screwdriver", do you mean a "Yankee" or spiral ratcheting
screwdriver? Lee Valley still sell the drivers, bits, and a converter
to use standard hex bits with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...411,43417&ap=1
Old January 16th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

'lektric dan wrote:

On Jan 16, 8:19*am, "steve robinson"
I have been after a side fillister for years now but they havent
been in production for decades , replacement blades for plough
planes are unavailable as are the screwdriver tips for pump
screwdrivers

By "pump screwdriver", do you mean a "Yankee" or spiral ratcheting
screwdriver? Lee Valley still sell the drivers, bits, and a
converter to use standard hex bits with them:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...411,43417&ap=1

Yes , i am based in the UK so its uneconomical to purchase small
items from the USA by the time they slap on vat , import fees ,
handling and postage a small 3 dollar item ends up around $50 .

Same with replacement parts for handplanes what you pay a few
dollars for in the states in the uk its just as cheap to buy a new
plane
Old January 16th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:19:36 +0000, "steve robinson"
in production for decades , replacement blades for plough planes are
unavailable as are the screwdriver tips for pump screwdrivers

There's still a few quality manufacturers around. I gave myself a
Veritas plow plane and the optional five blade package for Christmas.
It works really well and is a relief from the noise and dust created
by a router.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...78&cat=1,41182

I believe Lee Valley also has the screwdriver tips for the Yankee type
pump screwdrivers.
Old January 16th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:26:58 +0000, "steve robinson" wrote:

'lektric dan wrote:

On Jan 16, 8:19*am, "steve robinson"
I have been after a side fillister for years now but they havent
been in production for decades , replacement blades for plough
planes are unavailable as are the screwdriver tips for pump
screwdrivers

By "pump screwdriver", do you mean a "Yankee" or spiral ratcheting
screwdriver? Lee Valley still sell the drivers, bits, and a
converter to use standard hex bits with them:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...411,43417&ap=1

Yes , i am based in the UK so its uneconomical to purchase small
items from the USA by the time they slap on vat , import fees ,
handling and postage a small 3 dollar item ends up around $50 .

Same with replacement parts for handplanes what you pay a few
dollars for in the states in the uk its just as cheap to buy a new
plane

That's interesting. I have been following hand tool prices, including plough blades,via ebay (US)
for the last couple of months or so. I'd gladly pay the 10 pounds or so for a mixed maker set of
plough blades if I didn't have to pay shipping. Some nice dovetail saws there have gone for as
little as 4-6 pounds in December. Ebay (US) seems to have a lot of very nice planes and chisels at
very good prices from the UK. The killer is shipping to the US, some 25 pounds or about $40 for a
lot of these items.

Regards,
Roy
Old January 16th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2010 8:00 AM, Phisherman wrote:
If the Stanley #55 plane was such a good universal workhorse, why are
they not sold today? Or, are similar planes made today?

Well in the opinion of at least one guy who ought to know, the #55 was not a
"good universal workhorse", but a piece of crap:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan8.htm#num55

I'm a Stanley plane fanatic (and I *use* them; they don't just sit on the
shelf) but the #55 isn't one I've been tempted to acquire, mainly because I
trust Patrick's opinion enough to not be tempted.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Old January 16th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 9:00*am, Phisherman wrote:
If the Stanley #55 plane was such a good universal workhorse, why are
they not sold today? *Or, are similar planes made today?

I have a couple, and found them to be useful for some things, but
there are limitations inherent in the design. Having no mouth means
that tear out is a bigger problem. They are cumbersome tools and a
bit unwieldly for most work. The biggest problem is that the tool
tries to be everything, which is impossible in woodworking. One of
the nice things about up a dedicated molding plane is that it is
already set up to use when you pick it up.

That being said, you can replicate a helluva lot of period molding
with the 55, and you learn a lot about the importance of planing
order.

I don't know of any plane that is complicated as a 55 being made
today, but I suppose there's some boutique plane maker making a $6000
version.

Stanley plane Chris Woodworking 1 October 7th 07 02:56 PM
Stanley Plane Locutus Woodworking 13 December 20th 06 07:29 PM
New to me plane, Stanley 7G Joe Gorman Woodworking 6 November 8th 06 12:09 PM
Stanley Combination Plane 45E Kai Koethe Woodworking 7 October 7th 03 11:06 PM