Jakes452

Default sharpening planer blades

I have HSS 12" planer blades and 6" jointer blades (Hitachi). Are these
something I can sharpen myself? I was going to take to local sharpening but
they are closed on weekends. I have stones and I looked for jigs or
something meant to hold the blade properly and could only find a $250
sharpending motorized wheel w/jig). Any URL reference or opinion is
appreciated.

thank you

Bob S.

A flat surface, several sheets of sandpaper a chunk of 2x4 (milled to size),
some spray adhesive and you're good to go.

Read about Scary Sharp to understand the concept,
http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

Then think about making two (opposing) beveled cuts in the 2x4 (nicely
milled flat of course) so the blades can be inserted (press fit) at the
correct angle and so that the bevel of the blades extends above the nicely
milled 2x4 by about 1/16" (not critical) and then Scary Sharp.

Two jigs like this will cover both your jointer and planer blades. Use your
1/8" wide tablesaw blade to make the beveled slots and use some masking tape
(if needed at all) applied to the sides of the blades to make them hold in
the slots.

Only trick to remember is to rotate the jig 180° after about every 10
strokes to insure you're taking material off the blades evenly across it's
length. Unless you have some really bad nicks, you should be able to put a
nice edge on the blades in just a couple of minutes. It will take you
longer to make the jigs than to sharpen the blades. Next time they need
sharpening - you're done in a couple of minutes.

End view of 2x4 jig

tip of blades extend 1/16" above jig surface and beveled
at the angle needed for the blade

________\ \ ____________/ /_________
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| 2 beveled slots |
|_______________________________ |

The above should give you an idea. There is also an article in one of the
WW mags (Apr issue I think) that showed how to make a similar jig except
that the center piece between the blades is screwed in place and as it is
tightened it wedges against the blades and holds them in place tightly.

Your jig - you make it to suit your needs. I also have the Makita sharpener
but this worked fine when I didn't have that sharpener.

Bob S.

"Jakes452" wrote in message
I have HSS 12" planer blades and 6" jointer blades (Hitachi). Are these
something I can sharpen myself? I was going to take to local sharpening

but
they are closed on weekends. I have stones and I looked for jigs or
something meant to hold the blade properly and could only find a $250
sharpending motorized wheel w/jig). Any URL reference or opinion is
appreciated.

thank you

Brian in Vancouver, BC

"Jakes452" wrote in

I have HSS 12" planer blades and 6" jointer blades (Hitachi). Are
these something I can sharpen myself? I was going to take to local
sharpening but they are closed on weekends. I have stones and I
looked for jigs or something meant to hold the blade properly and
could only find a $250 sharpending motorized wheel w/jig). Any URL
reference or opinion is appreciated.

thank you

I was surprised to find your post this morning as I contemplate where to
have my 6" jointer blades sharpened. I also have a 13" planer whose
blades I have not yet flipped or replaced.

I tried to hone the jointer blades in place as I saw on a TV show the
other day, but all I did was make them unusable, whereas before they gave
acceptable results but with a couple of nicks across the surface, due I
think to me edging a couple of boards that still had staples attached.

I wouldn't try sharpening them myself without a slow rotation wheel and
suitable jig such as the Tormek system at a whopping $589 US.
http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/shop/?p...e&category_id=
93d2623b12869878624c573f5722b86f

Brian

Lyndell Thompson

I have a makeshift planer sharpening system that works for me. It involves
and old shopsmith (m/n)10ER and a 5/8"x 1/2" grinding wheel arbor (wood
craft) and a 120 grit aluminum oxide(white) grinding wheel (grainger) and a
homemade planer blade jig 3/4 plywood). The 5/8 arbor mounts to the ss
spindle and the stone goes on the the other end (1/2" threaded shaft). Set
ss in upright drill press position and angle tablesaw table to planer blade
angle. Build jig to hold blade firmly against table sawfence. The jig must
be 1/32" less than blade thickness and cut-out to the exact length of blade.
Set fence to contact grinding wheel and lock in place. Using saw table depth
screw bring planer blade in slight contact with grinding wheel. Work planer
blade slowly back and forth touching blade with barehand to ensure you are
not overheating blade. When grinding wheel is making little contact with
blade, make very small adjustments with table saw depth screw. Also lock
depth of table after each adjustment. I devised this system out of
necessity and it works. Future improvements will include a return system for
the depth of saw table in vertical positon(gravity does it for you in normal
position) and a 60 grit wheel to start with (and another arbor) and then
finish with 120 grit. Good luck! E-mail if there are ?????? I will try to
post pics @ ABPW . Be patient. If you have no patience send them out to
be sharpened. I don't think you can sharpen a planer blade too slowly. This
same setup should work on a drill press with tilt table. You can hone if
you like after this process but with the 120 grit wheel I don't see the need
for it. DO NOT USE A GREY GRINDING WHEEL . YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR PLANER
BLADES. You will take the temper out of them and even a professional will
tell you to throw them out. If you must know why I devised this system out
of necessity: I borrowed my brother-in-law's planer for a known naily
board planing job and hit several nails at the start. We had volunteer help
standing around with hands in pockets while I designed, built and used this
system. We were planing lumber the next morning and my BIL says: that planer
never cut that good , even out of the box. That is when I knew I was at
least on the right track.
Lyndell

There is nothing impossible if you are determined to do it.