Jay Chan

Default Need Ideas in Making Shelf for Wood Shop

I want to make some shelf to store woodworking tools and gardening
materials, and get everything organized in my small one car garage
that is double as a woodshop. What I want a

- In order to protect everything from dust, I want the shelfs to have
doors.

- I want them to be as tall as the garage door in order to store as
much stuff as possible.

- I want to put locking caster wheels under them in order to help me
moving them around on my uneven garage floor in case I need to
re-organize the garage space.

- I want them to be strong enough for storing router, paints,
chemicals, extension cords, bags of left over fertilizer, and potting
soil.

- I don't want them to cost too much.

My questions a

- I want to use plywood. How thick should I use? 1/2" or 3/4"?

- What should I use for the back of the shelf? I understand that it
should be strong enough to hold everything together. But how strong is
strong anyway? Should I use the same material for the sides to make
the back?

- What's the best finish to protect them from the high humidity level
that I may have in the garage?

- Any one has a picture that I can take a look to get some ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jay Chan
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I want to make some shelf to store woodworking tools and gardening
materials, and get everything organized in my small one car garage
that is double as a woodshop. What I want a

What you want is called a cabinet.

- I want to use plywood. How thick should I use? 1/2" or 3/4"?

I'd use 3/4" for the sides and shelves, 1/2" for the back and doors. Do
no tuse particleboard of MDF as it will be prone to sag.

- What's the best finish to protect them from the high humidity level
that I may have in the garage?

Polyurethane.

Pat Barber

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?1201

Jay Chan wrote:

I want to make some shelf to store woodworking tools and gardening
materials, and get everything organized in my small one car garage
that is double as a woodshop.

Jay Chan

I'd use 3/4" for the sides and shelves, 1/2" for the back and doors. Do
no tuse particleboard of MDF as it will be prone to sag.

Polyurethane.

Thanks for the good advices. I definitely will not use particleboards.
I got too many sagging book shelfs that were made from particleboards
that I bought when I was in college.

Jay Chan

(Jay Chan) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I have half of a two-car garage for my shop. I installed cabinets
several years ago and this year got rid of them. They took up too much
space along the walls, were inefficient at storing things, and it was
difficult to find things, particularly in the back of the cabinets. No
matter how I arranged the drawers it seemed that I could efficiently
use only half the space. I have since installed ventilated shelves
from the ceiling down and put everything into clear plastic storage
tubs. I use a half-dozen different sizes and label each. For the post
part, I can just look at them and tell what's inside them. I also have
one of those metal mechanics tool boxes on wheels, which is where I
keep most of my handtools. The biggest advantage to the new setup is
that I've gained a lot of floor space along the walls (most of the
shelving is at least 4-5 feet above the floor). I used to have a lot
of counter space but found that I don't miss it since basically the
counter space turned into a catchall for anything that I didn't want
to put away. With only a workbench as a surface I find that I put
things away after I've finished using them. I've been able to install
a planer, a bandsaw, a drillpress, and a dust collector to go along
with my TS and router table.
Len

[...]

I like your idea but what is a ventilated shelf? How deep? So when you
pull down your plastic boxes you put them on your workbench and they
stay there until the job is done? Long term projects? Sounds very
organized.
Jay Chan

I bought some cheap utility shelving units from the Borg a few years
back. The frame is snap-together angle iron, with particle board
shelves. ... Pretty ugly, but good enough for utility storage in my
basement.

I have many shelfs like that in my basement. But I don't want to use
them in a woodshop because I have a feeling that everything on the
shelf will be covered with dust soon (despite my effort in dust
collection). Therefore, I am planning to use shelfs that are covered
in all sides and with a door (and a lock to prevent my kids from
fooling with the sharp tools). Thanks for the idea anyway.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?1201

Thanks for the link. Actually, I have watched that particular serie
(at least half) when it was aired not so long ago in HGTV. I have got
some ideas from that show.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan

I have half of a two-car garage for my shop. I installed cabinets
several years ago and this year got rid of them. They took up too much
space along the walls, were inefficient at storing things, and it was
difficult to find things, particularly in the back of the cabinets.

I understand what you mean. Having cabinets in a small garage may take
up too much wall space that we cannot park large machines (such as
putting a table saw against the wall and out of the way). This is the
reason why I intend to put the rolling shelfs only against the end of
my one car garage, and leave the bottom of the right side of my one
car garge empty where I can park large machines (table saw, snow
thrower ... etc); I probably put some hanging shelfs in the upper half
of the right side wall. I cannot touch the left side because there is
not enough space for anything other than hanging gardening tools on
the wall.

I need the storage space that the rolling shelfs will give me because
I have too many stuffs and my one car garage is very small.

No matter how I arranged the drawers it seemed that I could efficiently
use only half the space. I have since installed ventilated shelves
from the ceiling down and put everything into clear plastic storage
tubs. I use a half-dozen different sizes and label each. For the post
part, I can just look at them and tell what's inside them.

Good idea. This is exactly what I use when I store stuffs in the
shelfs in my basement. I can find things easily without opening up the
boxes. I intend to do the same thing to store small/mid-size items in
transparent plastic containers and put the containers inside the
rolling shelfs.

I also have one of those metal mechanics tool boxes on wheels, which
is where I keep most of my handtools.

I don't have that. But I intend to build a rolling table saw cart
(with outfeed table that I mentioned in another message thread). Then
I can put many pull-out shelf inside the table saw cart for storing
stuffs.

that I've gained a lot of floor space along the walls (most of the
shelving is at least 4-5 feet above the floor).

Why do you leave 4-5 feet space? This sounds like a lot of spaces not
being used. Are your tools really that tall? Can you give me some
examples of tools that require that kind of space to park them?

I used to have a lot of counter space but found that I don't miss it
since basically the counter space turned into a catchall for anything
that I didn't want to put away.

Thanks for sharing your side of the view. Although I wish I will not
leave many stuffs on the counter space, I can see the "potential" of
having this happened to me.

Nice to talk with you.

Jay Chan