Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old circular saw blades

Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling service for
old circular saw blades? I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of
these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth sharpening; most of them were
"thrown in" with the RAS I bought on Craig's List this past year).

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2009 4:25 PM Steve Turner spake thus:

Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling
service for old circular saw blades? I'm looking for the best way to
get rid of some of these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth
sharpening; most of them were "thrown in" with the RAS I bought on
Craig's List this past year).

Concerning sharpening, how do you know they're not worth it? Do you have
a good sharpening service near you?

I do--Standard Saw Works in downtown Oakland. Love the place; they've
been there since forever (1920-something). Don't charge very much and do
an excellent job on both steel and carbide blades.

So far as recycling goes, any scrap metal dealer should be happy to take
them (but they won't give you anything for them).

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

.... old circular saw blades? *I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of these old blades ...

Do you know anyone who does blacksmithing? They might take them ---
I've seen some nice knives made from saw blades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paint pictures on them: A fish, dog, guail, woodland scene, etc. It
doesn't have to be perfect. Hang them in your shop. Got an old rust
hand saw, cross-cut saw, do the same. Old wooden shingles or old
slate shingles work, too. If you can't paint, get your kids to paint
on them. Kids like painting flowers and are easy to paint.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:25:21 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling service for
old circular saw blades? I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of
these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth sharpening; most of them were
"thrown in" with the RAS I bought on Craig's List this past year).

I just store them in a box near the GBOC. I'm sure they will prove
useful someday....

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 4:25*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling service for
old circular saw blades? *I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of
these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth sharpening; most of them were
"thrown in" with the RAS I bought on Craig's List this past year).

Make tacky pukey duck clocks out of them.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:54:30 -0800 (PST), the infamous Sonny
scrawled the following:

Paint pictures on them: A fish, dog, guail, woodland scene, etc. It

Guail? Are those small forest birds from Guam?

doesn't have to be perfect. Hang them in your shop. Got an old rust
hand saw, cross-cut saw, do the same. Old wooden shingles or old
slate shingles work, too. If you can't paint, get your kids to paint
on them. Kids like painting flowers and are easy to paint.

Sorry, Sonny, but painting old saw blades is a cardinal sin. It's
almost as bad as shudder shopping at Searz!

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:13:08 -0800 (PST), the infamous Luigi Zanasi
scrawled the following:

On Nov 29, 4:25*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling service for
old circular saw blades? *I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of
these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth sharpening; most of them were
"thrown in" with the RAS I bought on Craig's List this past year).

Make tacky pukey duck clocks out of them.

See my last post, WeeGee.

P.S: Did you ever make it -out- of California? Politics and smog
notwithstanding, it's a beautiful and scenic state with many wonders
to explore. You'll have to come back with Marilyn on your next winter
vacation to see more of it.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Guail? �Are those small forest birds from Guam?

LOL. I missed that typo

Sorry, Sonny, but painting old saw blades is a cardinal sin. It's
almost as bad as shudder shopping at Searz!

I wasn't aware of some taboo in that regard. What's the reasoning for
not doing so?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 11/29/2009 4:25 PM Steve Turner spake thus:

Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling
service for old circular saw blades? I'm looking for the best way to
get rid of some of these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth
sharpening; most of them were "thrown in" with the RAS I bought on
Craig's List this past year).

Concerning sharpening, how do you know they're not worth it?

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know a POS blade when I see one. Do the brand names
"Vermont American" or "Credo" mean anything to you? Probably the best blade in
the bunch is a Delta Sidekick, and I'm not likely to spend the $10 or $15 it
would cost to sharpen $20 blade.

Do you have a good sharpening service near you?

Yes I do, but I can't remember the name of the company. It's actually a
service offered by my local Woodcraft (Austin), and the sharpening company
comes into town once a week to pick up the blades, then returns them the next
week. My understanding is the company is somehow affiliated with Forrest, and
they do a wonderful job on my "Woodworker" blades.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 07:48:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous Sonny
scrawled the following:

Guail? ?Are those small forest birds from Guam?

LOL. I missed that typo

Sorry, Sonny, but painting old saw blades is a cardinal sin. It's
almost as bad as shudder shopping at Searz!

I wasn't aware of some taboo in that regard. What's the reasoning for
not doing so?

It's just tacky to me. Go ahead if you like that gauche sort of
thing. As to Searz, everyone has their little horror stories about
that entity. I gave my bucket of blood and pound of flesh to them
when I was an auto mechanic. Each handtool that broke, and sent my
hand or arm into another sharp object, just made it worse...

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:48:41 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Concerning sharpening, how do you know they're not worth it?

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know a POS blade when I see one. Do the brand names
"Vermont American" or "Credo" mean anything to you? Probably the best blade in
the bunch is a Delta Sidekick, and I'm not likely to spend the $10 or $15 it
would cost to sharpen $20 blade.

Just as an experiment, I once had a cheap (5$?) HF TS blade
resharpened. Cost me $12 to get it sharpened but it cut far better
after sharpening than it had when new. Still not exactly a WWII.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2009 7:35 PM Tim Douglass spake thus:

wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Concerning sharpening, how do you know they're not worth it?

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know a POS blade when I see one. Do the brand
names "Vermont American" or "Credo" mean anything to you? Probably
the best blade in the bunch is a Delta Sidekick, and I'm not
likely to spend the $10 or $15 it would cost to sharpen $20 blade.

Just as an experiment, I once had a cheap (5$?) HF TS blade
resharpened. Cost me $12 to get it sharpened but it cut far better
after sharpening than it had when new. Still not exactly a WWII.

I was going to say, even a brang-new blade can benefit from a good
sharpening from a competent saw service. My place (Standard Saw in
Oakland) regularly does this for its customers.