Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thinner or Mineral Spirits?

I just finished helping a friend paint the interior of probably our 20th
house in the last 10 years. Typically he rolls on the latex to paint the
walls and I cut in. Also I do most of the oil based enamel trim painting.
Through the years he has always used thinner to thin the paint and to clean
the brushes. It has always been a pet peeve of mine to come back after
lunch and begin the trim work again. I always clean the brush in thinner
before leaving and when I resume painting the residual thinner in the brush
blends with the paint in the brush and runs down the handle for the next
hour. I HATE THAT! And It never starts immediately, it begins 15 minutes
after thinking I am starting with a "basically dry" brush. I often will
prime the brush with a very small bit of thinner but what resides after
cleaning is way way more than "a bit".

This time around he brought mineral spirits, odorless AAMOF.

I noticed,

1. No odor, although Swingman would testify that is smells like a refinery
13.6 miles NE of Pasadena, TX had just released .003 atoms of smelly stuff
into the atmosphere about 15 minutes prior. ;~)

2. It works just as well as thinner for cleaning the brushes.

3. I never once had a friggin dripping brush after lunch.

Does mineral spirits evaporate faster than thinner?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 7:27*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Do you use a pump-style spinner after you clean your brush?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about the evaporation rate.
When I have to take a less than overnight break from painting/staining I wrap
the brush/roller/pad tightly in kitchen plastic wrap and set it aside. If
longer
than that I'll clean an oil based applicator. This will work for latex paint
too
and if you freeze it you can save it for days. I've not tried this with lacquer
so I can't say if it will work for it.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Do you use a pump-style spinner after you clean your brush?

No, and I may not have to worry about this with mineral spirits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message
Does mineral spirits evaporate faster than thinner?

I don't know about the evaporation rate.
When I have to take a less than overnight break from painting/staining I
wrap
the brush/roller/pad tightly in kitchen plastic wrap and set it aside. If
longer
than that I'll clean an oil based applicator.

Often we are painting all day long and the brush has to be cleaned
periosically any way, same thing happens.

This will work for latex paint
too
and if you freeze it you can save it for days. I've not tried this with
lacquer
so I can't say if it will work for it.

Painting empty houses does not always lend themselves to habing any
appliances.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Seems unreasonable given that paint thinner is primarily if not entirely
mineral spirits. This information is based on the various cans I've looked
at over the years...

Try wrapping the paint wet brush in plastic wrap during lunch rather than
cleaning the brush. --OR-- Spin the brush to get rid of the fluid trapped in
the heel and then dry well with paper towels and wrap the brush in newspaper
to absorb fluid during lunch. It helps to suspend the brush by the handle,
bristles down so that gravity helps the fluid migrate out of the heel.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

Does mineral spirits evaporate faster than thinner?

Seems unreasonable given that paint thinner is primarily if not entirely
mineral spirits. This information is based on the various cans I've looked
at over the years...

Primarily, but there is a difference. I also notice that mineral spirits
washes off of my hands more readily with out soap than thinner does.

Try wrapping the paint wet brush in plastic wrap during lunch rather than
cleaning the brush.

Brushes have to be cleaned periodically during the day any way. Avoiding
cleaning is problematic.

--OR-- Spin the brush to get rid of the fluid trapped in
the heel and then dry well with paper towels and wrap the brush in
newspaper to absorb fluid during lunch. It helps to suspend the brush by
the handle, bristles down so that gravity helps the fluid migrate out of
the heel.

Seems to be a moot point at this point, the Mineral spirits seem to solve
the problem. I was hoping to get an answer as to what the real differences
in the two are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It has always been a pet peeve of mine to come back after
lunch and begin the trim work again. I always clean the brush
in thinner before leaving and when I resume painting the
residual thinner in the brush blends with the paint in the brush
and runs down the handle for the next hour. I HATE THAT! And
It never starts immediately, it begins 15 minutes after thinking
I am starting with a "basically dry" brush. I often will prime
the brush with a very small bit of thinner but what resides
after cleaning is way way more than "a bit".

Jeez- a zip-lock baggie to hold the brush over lunch should do the
trick, with no thinner, cleaning or solvent needed. Just stick
the brush in, with lots of paint in the bristles, and zip the
baggie's top as closed as it will go.

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2009 3:27 PM Leon spake thus:

[snip]

This time around he brought mineral spirits, odorless AAMOF.

I noticed,

1. No odor, although Swingman would testify that is smells like a
refinery 13.6 miles NE of Pasadena, TX had just released .003 atoms
of smelly stuff into the atmosphere about 15 minutes prior. ;~)

2. It works just as well as thinner for cleaning the brushes.

3. I never once had a friggin dripping brush after lunch.

Does mineral spirits evaporate faster than thinner?

Welllll ... thinner *is* mineral spirits. But you obviously got a
different type of spirits, a different fraction. So in your case it
seems to have evaporated faster.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 3:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Wellll, yes and no. "Thinners" can be mineral, but don't have to be.
Petroleum based "thinners", like Varsol are purely petroleum based.
Then there are turpentine based (pine-resin distillate) and blends of
both of the above. Pure terps stink to high heaven , but not too
offensive to some, but boy does it clean a brush. Then again, so does
gasoline, favourite brush-cleaner of many. ( A little Agent Orange
never hurt anybody.)
The **ulene types of thinners/cleaners can also be found blended with
either terps or petroleum based solvents... lacquer thinner can be one
of those. My paint-booth guru of yore sold me 2 grades of "thinners",
one to thin my lacquers, one to clean my equipment. Smelled the same,
but clearly weren't. Sikkens M600 is still THE stuff that cleans my
Iwata HVLP the best.
Varsol, on the other hand, is what I would consider a 'real' mineral
spirit. "Varsol Fluids can be used in a wide variety of applications,
including thinners for paint and coatings, general purpose cleaners,
dry cleaning fluids, fuel additives and asphalt viscosity reducers."

What I like about Varsol, is that it is cheap. It won't screw up your
$ 30.00 Purdy brush. The other so-called cleaners and thinners don't
go near my arsenal of Purdy's. (I love those round pointed french sash
brushes...)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
What I like about Varsol, is that it is cheap. It won't screw up your
$ 30.00 Purdy brush. The other so-called cleaners and thinners don't
go near my arsenal of Purdy's. (I love those round pointed french sash
brushes...)

I have to hide my Purdys. My wife gets a hold of them while I'm away at work, then has NO
idea how to clean them out. When it comes to women I've mostly learned when to keep my
mouth shut, but these little episodes completely blow it for me! :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/29/2009 4:39 AM Steve Turner spake thus:

Robatoy wrote:

What I like about Varsol, is that it is cheap. It won't screw up your
$ 30.00 Purdy brush. The other so-called cleaners and thinners don't
go near my arsenal of Purdy's. (I love those round pointed french sash
brushes...)

I have to hide my Purdys. My wife gets a hold of them while I'm away
at work, then has NO idea how to clean them out. When it comes to
women I've mostly learned when to keep my mouth shut, but these little
episodes completely blow it for me! :-)

Please don't tar all women with that same brush.

I have a client--a woman--who's *far* more fastidious about cleaning and
maintaining her painting tools than I am. And I'm not particularly a
slouch about such things; I value my few good paintbrushes.

I have a wife, a good one, she buys her own paintbrushes.
;-)

I may have gone off on her once or twice.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/29/2009 4:39 AM Steve Turner spake thus:

I have to hide my Purdys. My wife gets a hold of them while I'm away
at work, then has NO idea how to clean them out. When it comes to
women I've mostly learned when to keep my mouth shut, but these little
episodes completely blow it for me! :-)

Please don't tar all women with that same brush.

I wasn't. Not sure how you drew that conclusion...

I have a client--a woman--who's *far* more fastidious about cleaning and
maintaining her painting tools than I am.

I believe you. But if she left your best cordless drill out in the rain to rust would you
keep your mouth shut or give her a lecture? I kept my mouth shut when my wife did that to
me. But after about the third Purdy brush she clogged up with latex... well a guy can only
clam up for so long. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/29/2009 4:39 AM Steve Turner spake thus:

I have to hide my Purdys. My wife gets a hold of them while I'm away
at work, then has NO idea how to clean them out. When it comes to
women I've mostly learned when to keep my mouth shut, but these
little episodes completely blow it for me! :-)

Please don't tar all women with that same brush.

I wasn't. Not sure how you drew that conclusion...

I have a client--a woman--who's *far* more fastidious about cleaning
and maintaining her painting tools than I am.

I believe you. But if she left your best cordless drill out in the rain
to rust would you keep your mouth shut or give her a lecture? I kept my
mouth shut when my wife did that to me. But after about the third Purdy
brush she clogged up with latex... well a guy can only clam up for so
long. :-)

If my wife decides to paint I'd gladly buy a new brush when she
finished. I HATE painting!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote:

If my wife decides to paint I'd gladly buy a new brush when she
finished. I HATE painting!

"HATE" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about painting.

Of course, the fact that I'm your basic "3 and 1" painter, probably
doesn't help.

3 and 1 = 3 parts on me and 1 part on what I'm trying to paint.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Nova" wrote:

If my wife decides to paint I'd gladly buy a new brush when she finished.
I HATE painting!

"HATE" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about painting.

Of course, the fact that I'm your basic "3 and 1" painter, probably
doesn't help.

3 and 1 = 3 parts on me and 1 part on what I'm trying to paint.

Lew

LOL, I remember those days. I was there. I guest after doing 20 something
homes you get better at it. You eventually learn not to touch the wet
stuff, LOL. Oil is unforgiving, it doesn't just wipe off although if you
carry a rag with a little thinner on one corner it removes the unexpected
immediately. Latex rubs off just like TBIII.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Nova" wrote:

If my wife decides to paint I'd gladly buy a new brush when she
finished. I HATE painting!

"HATE" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about painting.

Feel your pain ... a pox on the caveman who first put hair on the end of
a stick to slop pigments around.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 3:21*am, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine, who used to own a paint store, always had a 55gallon
drum out behind his store. Any of us who needed some, would fill our
jugs, toss a few bucks in a can and away we went. All was fine for
decades, till some environmental, tofu-sucking, Birkenstock-wearing,
Tilly hatted, Prius-driving, Ed Begley-grade tree-hugger called the
authorities and they wanted to make him install a permanent CO2
extinguisher and drip-trays with pollution-control labels and piles of
paper to fill out...he took the drum away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy said:

A friend of mine, who used to own a paint store, always had a 55gallon
drum out behind his store. Any of us who needed some, would fill our
jugs, toss a few bucks in a can and away we went. All was fine for
decades, till some environmental, tofu-sucking, Birkenstock-wearing,
Tilly hatted, Prius-driving, Ed Begley-grade tree-hugger called the
authorities and they wanted to make him install a permanent CO2
extinguisher and drip-trays with pollution-control labels and piles of
paper to fill out...he took the drum away.

Musta really ****ed you off to have lost that drum to come up with
that humorous rant. Ever see the episode of The Simpsons where Begley
spoofed his own environmentalism by showing himself using a golf-cart
powered by his "own sense of self-satisfaction?"

They would have freaked over my engine parts cleaner back in the 70s.
A 55 gal drum sliced in half, hinged, and filled with gunk degreaser
and kerosene. Right beside the outside shop wall. I did have a one
gallon powder extinguisher, however. And the ill fitting lid...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 1:29*pm, Greg wrote:
Robatoy said:

[...]

I rant not!

Nope, I don't watch the Simpsons. Old-style cartoons, sure. I'm a huge
Bugs fan. Foghorn Leghorn RULES!!
Hanna Barbera had some great ones. When Joseph Barbera died (December
18, 2006 (aged 95)) they drove past the same cemetery scene...... 14
times.
I have all the Animaniacs on discs. I always wanted an affair with
Slappy The Squirrel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy said:

I rant not!

OK... ;-)

Nope, I don't watch the Simpsons. Old-style cartoons, sure. I'm a huge
Bugs fan. Foghorn Leghorn RULES!!
Hanna Barbera had some great ones. When Joseph Barbera died (December
18, 2006 (aged 95)) they drove past the same cemetery scene...... 14
times.
I have all the Animaniacs on discs. I always wanted an affair with
Slappy The Squirrel.

Ha! Same here. Except that I do watch The Simpsons - Doh!
One of the things I dislike about this area is that they don't run any
of those older (American made!) cartoons anymore. One of the stations
in FL played them every morning. And I loved the Animaniacs rapid fire
wit. I haven't seen an episode in 8 years, however. I never thought to
look for them on DVD. The Cartoon Network is mostly Turner stuff, but
I can deal with Futurama.

I say, I say, I always wanted an affair with Kim Bassinger, son.
But it's the same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy said:

I always wanted an affair with Slappy The Squirrel.

Just for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ZjH...eature=related

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:08:20 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Nova" wrote:

If my wife decides to paint I'd gladly buy a new brush when she
finished. I HATE painting!

"HATE" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about painting.

Of course, the fact that I'm your basic "3 and 1" painter, probably
doesn't help.

3 and 1 = 3 parts on me and 1 part on what I'm trying to paint.

I'm just the opposite. I've had clients who came outside after 3
hours with me painting and they just stood and looked at me. "How can
you be so neat?" I reply "Heck, I have paint all over me. Well, both
of these fingers, anyway." I use a damp rag and I clean up drips,
runs, and smears instantly so not much gets on me. shrug

When I do caulking, OTOH, I'm more like you. Caulk all over both
hands, both forearms, and usually on the back of my shirt, where I've
backed into it _somehow_...

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)

mineral spirits Lee Woodworking 7 September 9th 07 12:34 PM
Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats [email protected] Woodworking 8 January 18th 07 05:46 PM
Wet sanding polyurethane b/t coats w/ mineral spirits lub bent Woodworking 9 February 17th 06 10:50 PM
Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 9 December 6th 05 11:41 PM
Removing smell of mineral spirits [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 22nd 05 05:26 PM