What duct work do I buy for dust collection

Old October 28th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default What duct work do I buy for dust collection

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim
Old October 28th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb

jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/economy-snaplock-pipe.html

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box
stores locally.

Old October 28th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 1:27*pm, jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. *I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Here is a great source for everything dust collection.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Note his discussion in "PVC Confusion" and several other areas. He
considers PVC a good option if you ground

Old October 28th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Woodcrafters has duct work and some fittings, but if you are close to a
Woodcrafters store, look up a site The Wood & Shop, Inc. its got 3" and
4" stuff look under dust collection, they are in Maryland Height, Mo
just outside of St Louis...I have been putting a dust collecter on my
radial arm saw, and got a hood and reducter from Woodcrafts and using
some pvc pipe from Lowes to get it hooked up like I want it

Old October 28th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim

Rockler sells an adapter to change from 4" fitting to PVC Sewer Pipe. See:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t%20collection

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old October 28th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

Yes.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/economy-snaplock-pipe.html

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box
stores locally.

Snap-lock is available at most home centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) but most of it's
paper-thin 30-gauge (or ever thinner) junk. You *can* find 26 gauge (28 gauge is probably
ok for smaller diameters or short sections) at Lowe's-Depot, but many times the stuff is
mislabeled; bring your micrometer. I have a half-dozen or more Lowe's and Home Depot stores
within driving distance, and they ALL carried a different variety of brands and gauges,
sometimes within the same store. Incidentally, I *tried* to shop every HVAC place in my
area (and I live in Austin, so there are a lot of them), but I didn't buy anything from
*any* of them; most of them weren't any better than Lowe's or Home Depot in terms of
selection (and price!), and many of them deal with contractors only and don't want to talk
to the man on the street.

I would recommend going first to Kencraft (http://kencraftcompany.com) and try to get as
much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn State for the remainder of your needs.
Every single thing I ordered from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast.
Penn State has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much* longer to
ship it than Kencraft.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Old October 28th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb

Steve Turner wrote:
I would recommend going first to Kencraft (http://kencraftcompany.com)
and try to get as much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn
State for the remainder of your needs. Every single thing I ordered
from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast. Penn State
has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much*
longer to ship it than Kencraft.

Hadn't ever heard of 'em; looks worthwhile link, thanks...

Note their only 4"x60" snap-lock is 30ga whereas Penn State has 26ga,
though. As I read it, their 24" is 26ga and is less expensive depending
on relative shipping.

One of those things owing to that that if can find locally is usually
better deal as the shipping gets amortized over much larger quantities
than individual orders.

There's always Oneida for the "high-priced spread", of course...

I've not checked at Woodworkers' Supply recently...well, that
said--whoah, Nelly!!! They're about double... Generally, their
pricing is pretty good, but not on this.

Old October 28th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
I've not checked at Woodworkers' Supply recently...well, that
said--whoah, Nelly!!! They're about double... Generally, their
pricing is pretty good, but not on this.

Yes, I was disappointed when I investigated Wooodworker's Supply. And there was a time when
I too thought that their pricing was "pretty good" in general, but most of my recent
perusals through their catalogs have led me to conclude otherwise. In general. :-(

Old October 28th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Why would you go to home depot for this? try a woodworker supply store, one
that caters to the pros. there is one in your area You just have to search
for it. here in Baltimore there's scarrie of Howard street. I did my shop
for under a 100 with metal pike and fixtures.

Len

Old October 28th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Len wrote:
Why would you go to home depot for this?

Because a lot of the time, woodworking stores sell the same thing for
more.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)