Doug Winterburn

Default New Craftsman RAS report

My old PowrKraft RAS bit the big one about a month ago, after 32 years.

So, having RAS experience and not buying into the normal RAS trashing,
I went in search of a new RAS I could afford.

One of the defining parameters was wall hung cabinets over the RAS
location against a wall. This led me away from the Delta which has the
heighth adjustment crank on top of the column.

The only others in my price range were the Ridgid and the Craftsman. Upon
close examination of both, they appear to be the same basic saw: the
frames are identical, the column supports are identical, the columns are
identical. The differences appear to be in the sheet metal and plastic
trim, and some differences in the adjustment and locking lever locations
on the motor head as well as different blade guard mechanisms.

On initial inspection in the showrooms, the Ridgid was set up very solidly
and testing of arm and head movement was negligible. OTOH, the Craftsman
had some play in the arm and head, apparently due to poor setup as both
saws appeared to be identical in the parts that determine this. Despite
this, the Craftsman has two features that were very desirable: Lasertrack,
a laser line up outer blade washer thingie, and Control Cut, a variable
speed motor controlled cable at the column head which attaches to the
motor head and will only allow the motor to travel towards the operator
when the motor trigger is engaged and at a controlled speed.

The Craftsman RAS weighs in at 204 lbs in the box. After initial setup
according to the well written Craftsman manual (except for a missing
Control Cut speed table), and a further super tuning using the Jon Eakes
RAS book. The Craftsman is anything but a Crapsman. It is absolutely
repeatable on returns from miter and bevel changes. The control cut
feature isn't really required with the motor head wheels adjusted
properly, but it does absolutely stop any climbing problems that can
happen when crosscutting with a RAS. I set the saw up for 240V
operation. The control Cut motor has a seperate cord and runs at 120V.
The motor does seem to brake when turned off, but is takes 5 seconds or so
to stop.

I do miss the high speed aux spindle on my old PowrKraft, but
all in all, the Craftsman RAS is an accurate and repeatable saw when set
up and adjusted properly. It's also very quiet compared to my old
PowrKraft. I'm guessing the Ridgid is just as accurate and repeatable
when set up properly. I hope the Craftsman also lasts 32 years; it's
unlikely I will.

--
-Doug

Wilson

Climbing is only a problem for me when I pull carelessly. I wouldn't want
to be restricted from fast pulls in thin material.

Do you have a negative hook blade? It doesn't stop climbing, but reduces
the tendency.
Wilson
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:57:04 +0000, Wilson wrote:

Climbing is only a problem for me when I pull carelessly. I wouldn't want
to be restricted from fast pulls in thin material.

That's why the variable speed control is nice. The Control Cut cable can
be removed from the motor head if desired, but there is really no need
AFAICT. The Control Cut cable will return the motor head to the column
when the handle is released.

Do you have a negative hook blade? It doesn't stop climbing, but reduces
the tendency.

The saw comes with a 40 tooth negative hook angle carbide tipped blade. I
made some test cuts prior to using the Control Cut cable, and there was no
tendency for climbing. The eccentric rollers on the head should be
adjusted with enough tension so that the moter takes a definite pull and
does not roll on its own, but not so much that there is any binding or
that you have to pull hard.

--
-Doug

jo4hn

It's rather refreshing to hear a positive report on Craftsman power
tools in general and a RAS in particular. I really hope that Sears has
seen the quality control light. I have several Craftsman tools built
from the 40s through the 70s that I will not replace. I have also had
some 80s and 90s stuff (CMS and belt/disk sander) that was pure junk.
Good luck and keep us posted.
mahalo,
jo4hn
p.s. That also applies to Silvan and his new TS and anyone else who buys
Craftsman.

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:23:17 +0000, jo4hn wrote:

It's rather refreshing to hear a positive report on Craftsman power
tools in general and a RAS in particular. I really hope that Sears has
seen the quality control light. I have several Craftsman tools built
from the 40s through the 70s that I will not replace. I have also had
some 80s and 90s stuff (CMS and belt/disk sander) that was pure junk.
Good luck and keep us posted.
mahalo,
jo4hn
p.s. That also applies to Silvan and his new TS and anyone else who buys
Craftsman.

Set up and tuning are more important and complicated than about any other
home shop power tool, and must be done in the proper sequence because for
the most part every step depends on the previous step or is a wasate of
time. Also, if the things that are supposed to be "tight" are not tight,
you will run into the constant realignment problem, which really means
the saw was never aligned/tuned to begin with. I think this is most of
the reason the RAS, no matter the model, suffers so much verbal abuse - as
well as a ton of piling on, much by folks who have little or no experience
with a (properly set up) RAS.

What has amazed me is how well this thing resists flex in the arm and
head, much better than my old RAS which I was very happy with. It doesn't
come that way out of the carton - the manual is helpful, but the nuances
of the Jonathon Eakes book, or I'm sure the Mr Sawdust book Rumpty
touts make the difference.

My suspicion is that 90% of the RASs out there have never been properly
set up and aligned. Also, a few basic jigs and fixtures extend the
usefulness of the RAS immensely.

--
-Doug

searcher1

I like my Craftsman products, I have TS-DP-Router-Grinder, and all bought
within the past 2 weeks, I got the 2 yr warranty on all of it so why shoudl
I worry, for 2 yrs anyway. But I got all these tools at a fair price,
actually I think I got a deal I only paid 69 bucks for a 12" DP. I did have
a Craftsman "mouse" sander that I got as a gift, the thing smoked after 6
months I took it back and Sears gave me a Brand new one NO questions asked,
I think my son may have had something to do with it burning up, too much
pressure on it
My grandfather and my father all had Craftsman so now I do, I do know
that for a time Craftsman was not making a very quality product but I think
(hope) that all has changed.

Rich

"jo4hn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
It's rather refreshing to hear a positive report on Craftsman power
tools in general and a RAS in particular. I really hope that Sears has
seen the quality control light. I have several Craftsman tools built
from the 40s through the 70s that I will not replace. I have also had
some 80s and 90s stuff (CMS and belt/disk sander) that was pure junk.
Good luck and keep us posted.
mahalo,
jo4hn
p.s. That also applies to Silvan and his new TS and anyone else who buys
Craftsman.

jo4hn

And to add my RAS mantra: Do NOT use the table as a workbench! DAMHIKT.
Or to store heavy stuff. Nothing like tapping a glue joint to screw
up your carefully adjusted table.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Doug Winterburn wrote:

[snip of good stuff]

Silvan

searcher1 wrote:

My grandfather and my father all had Craftsman so now I do, I do know
that for a time Craftsman was not making a very quality product but I
think (hope) that all has changed.

Well, I take it one tool at a time. I didn't buy my new saw because of the
name on it, but I also didn't pass it over because of the name on it. I
looked at a lot of different contractor's and benchtop saws online and in
person, reading reviews and downloading manuals, and I kept coming back to
this one time and time again as the best price/performance deal.

So I took it home and made it my baby. And it *is* my baby. My baby says
"Craftsman" all over it. If anybody wants to mess with my baby, I'll
introduce them to its sharp, pointy teeth that go round and round.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

searcher1

Cute, I did however take back my Craftsman bench grinder and bought a Delta,
The Craftsman just didn't seem to have the power for the price factor going
for it, so I got a Delta 1.5 hp for a few bucks less.

Rich

"Silvan" wrote in message
searcher1 wrote:

[...]

Bridger

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:10:18 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

searcher1 wrote:

My grandfather and my father all had Craftsman so now I do, I do know
that for a time Craftsman was not making a very quality product but I
think (hope) that all has changed.

Well, I take it one tool at a time. I didn't buy my new saw because of the
name on it, but I also didn't pass it over because of the name on it. I
looked at a lot of different contractor's and benchtop saws online and in
person, reading reviews and downloading manuals, and I kept coming back to
this one time and time again as the best price/performance deal.

So I took it home and made it my baby. And it *is* my baby. My baby says
"Craftsman" all over it. If anybody wants to mess with my baby, I'll
introduce them to its sharp, pointy teeth that go round and round.

yeah, well my baby can beat up your baby G

3 HP PM65....

Walt Conner

And probably both made in Taiwan or China.

Walt Conner

back my Craftsman bench grinder and bought a Delta,

searcher1

They work well for me, I don't have to spend mega money to get the same
enjoyment of project building that others must do for the sake of "made in
USA" because lets face it Americans just don't show much pride in thier work
anymore. Oh don't get me wrong as I am a true native American, and I love
this country that I fight for with everything that I have. I am just sorry
to say that todays workforce just doesn't show the pride that my father and
his father and so on have. There no longer is any respect for people in the
generations of today. My 85 rattle bucket Chevy fell apart after 3 years but
my 84 Toyota is still banging around after 368,000 miles and have never had
any major work done to it other then the clutch. Go figure, I think I just
started a whole new thread. Forgive me.

Searcher1

"Walt Conner" wrote in message
.net...
And probably both made in Taiwan or China.

Walt Conner

back my Craftsman bench grinder and bought a Delta,

Morris Dovey

searcher1 wrote:

They work well for me, I don't have to spend mega money to get
the same enjoyment of project building that others must do for
the sake of "made in USA" because lets face it Americans just
don't show much pride in thier work anymore. Oh don't get me
wrong as I am a true native American, and I love this country
that I fight for with everything that I have. I am just sorry
to say that todays workforce just doesn't show the pride that
my father and his father and so on have. There no longer is
any respect for people in the generations of today. My 85
rattle bucket Chevy fell apart after 3 years but my 84 Toyota
is still banging around after 368,000 miles and have never had
any major work done to it other then the clutch. Go figure, I
think I just started a whole new thread. Forgive me.

I'm not so sure that this is a particularly convincing place to
make that assertion.

Quality has always been around for the finding; and it's always
been a matter of looking in the right places. Sturgeon's Law was
no less true fifty or a hundred or a thousand years ago than it
is today. We've found written evidence that "They don't make 'em
like they usta" in ancient Greek and Babylonian records.

One of the important kinds of discussion that takes place here
addresses this very issue: "Who makes a quality
TS/RAS/BS/OSS/SCMS/Router/compressor/plane/chisel/../vise?" and
"Where can I buy it for a price I can afford?"

Take time to visit some of the web sites put up by some of the
regulars who earn their living doing this stuff. It's proof
positive that quality isn't a thing of the past, nor is pride in
workmanship.

Take time also to browse through the pictures from ABPW at
http://www.delorie.com/wood. Some of the stuff is amateurish and
some of it is so beautiful it brings tears. /All/ of it is there
because whoever built it took pride in their work - so much pride
that they wanted to share their accomplishment with the rest of
us - and to have their work critiqued and/or blessed by others.
Notice that this isn't the behavior you described.

Sturgeon was right. Ninety percent of everything /is/ crud. Don't
let it get you down - set your sights on that /other/ precious
ten percent. Add to it if you can...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

searcher1

Yes the projects are beautiful that I do not doubt, but it dosen't take 1000
dollar tools to do it! It comes from within the person making the items. One
can make a great looking project with Chinese tools as well as American made
tools. Again it the person, and you just don't find that many people who
work for GREAT COMPANIES that take pride in the work that they put forth,
they just want to do their 8 and get out.

Searcher1
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
searcher1 wrote:

[...]

Morris Dovey

searcher1 wrote:

Yes the projects are beautiful that I do not doubt, but it
dosen't take 1000 dollar tools to do it! It comes from within
the person making the items. One can make a great looking
project with Chinese tools as well as American made tools.
Again it the person, and you just don't find that many people
who work for GREAT COMPANIES that take pride in the work that
they put forth, they just want to do their 8 and get out.

Yes, it /is/ the person. Always. And yes, the location where a
tool (or anything else) is produced does not determines neither
the quality of the tool nor the quality of the product produced
with the tool.

The quality of the tool /can/ be a limiting factor in determining
the quality of the result. Substandard work can be produced with
any tool; but it's difficult to produce great work with a
substandard tool.

I have a Delta Unisaw (from the USA) and a Grizzly jointer (from
Taiwan). I'm well pleased with both. I have an American designed
and manufactured ShopBot with a 5 hp spindle from Italy and a
phase converter/controller from Taiwan that lets me control that
spindle in more ways than a politician has excuses, including
control of motor speed in precise 1/10 RPM increments from 0 RPM
all the way to 24000 RPM. It machines wood to better than 1/512"
tolerances. It did cost more than US$1000; but I couldn't find a
tool that could do the same job for less. Sometimes it's simply
necessary to spend the money.

Great companies are great because they hired great people and
allowed them to do a great job - and rewarded those people when
they made great products. Let me give it to you straight: If you
find that many people who work for a company /don't/ take immense
pride in their work, then that company /can't/ be a great company.

One of my favorite business books makes this point: First class
companies are headed by first class people - and first class
people only hire first class people. All other companies are
headed by (at best) second class people - and second class people
hire third class people who then hire the rest of the company's
work force.

The flurry of acquisitions and hostile takeovers in the past
twenty years was driven by people playing a numbers game. The
thinking was strictly short term; and first class companies were
desirable targets. I've regretfully concluded that those driving
the takeovers were not first class people - and that it's far
easier to turn a first class company into a second class company
than it is to turn a second class company into a first class
company. As in tools, the quality of the company can certainly be
a limiting factor in determining the quality of the product.

I think it must easier to start over with a new company than to
restore quality to a second class company. The US isn't a
particularly healthy environment for starting new companies; but
it would appear that (currently) Taiwan and China /are/; and
that's where the next generation of first class businesses (and
first class products) are growing.

Got pretty far off-topic, didn't I? (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

searcher1

Thats OK, it was very well put. I just wish more people would take pride in
things and not just things they do for themselves but in everything they do.
I know this is far off thinking but one can still have hope.

Thanks for the insight.

RIch

searcher1 wrote:

[...]

Charlie Self

Morris Dovey responds:

Sturgeon was right. Ninety percent of everything /is/ crud. Don't
let it get you down - set your sights on that /other/ precious
ten percent. Add to it if you can...

Possibly true. I think the percentage is lower, but, that said, even things
like old houses and old cars represent the rest of the best. We're seeing
houses and cars from 50 to however many years ago (100 or so in cars, many more
in houses) that were considered worth caring for from the outset. The junk is
gone, melted down or fallen down, and, often, forgotten. Thus, we moan that
"they don't make them like they used to". We also never apply some modern
standards to older items--the furniture with the water soluble finish is kept
pristine and out of humid areas; the car that needs an anchor to toss out
because of its bad brakes is never driven over 30 or 40 mph, if it's driven at
all; the house with doors 6' tall or less is excused with a shrug, and "people
were shorter in those days". Newer things don't get the shrug or the extra
care. It's perfect or it's junk.

Charlie Self
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:35:09 +0000, FDawg wrote:

great read, doug...i am in the market for either a 10" sliding miter saw or
a RAS -haven;t been sold one way or the other as yet,

For portability and through miter/bevel cuts, it's the SCMS.

For wider miter/bevel crosscuts and and non through crosscuts, controlled
height of cut, cuts with blade in horizontal plane, rip cuts, accessories
such as dado blade, rotary surface planer, horizontal boring & other 1/2"
chuck operations, molding head use, 1/4" shank router and in general many
more operations, it's the RAS.

IMO, it comes down to portability vs. versatility.

--
-Doug