Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Old October 6th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ
Old October 6th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 8:21*pm, "
wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

You could do it with a circular saw and a sawboard. With the right
blade you can get excellent results and it pretty much eliminates
splintering. You'd just have to take a couple of passes and move the
sawboard a bit for the second cut.

http://www.rochesterwoodworkers.org/...r/Sawboard.pdf

Old October 8th 09, 12:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:21:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Tablesaw. Probably I would not bother with a dado blade, a few
passes and you're done. To perfectly center the groove, flip the
board.