Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DIY powered respirator?

Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks also
fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making one?
It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job. Picking
the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 1:02*pm, "james" wrote:
Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks also
fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making one?
It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job. Picking
the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

I think I could come up with something involving a windowbox fan, some
leftover plexi, a few feet of shop vac hose and a long extension
cord.

Want me to give it a try over the weekend?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sep 25, 1:02 pm, "james" wrote:
Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks
also
fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making
one?
It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job. Picking
the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

I think I could come up with something involving a windowbox fan, some
leftover plexi, a few feet of shop vac hose and a long extension
cord.

Want me to give it a try over the weekend?

Spend the money, if you make your own and it doesn't work - you could die.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

james wrote:
Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks
also fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making
one? It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job.
Picking the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

Don't have link at hand but I know there are full face shields w/ small
fans that aren't terribly expensive if it's simply dust (as must be
since the paper masks are useless for vapors anyway)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"james" wrote in message
Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks
also fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making
one? It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job.
Picking the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

Simpler still, buy a new sander with dust collection. I never wear a mask
and never deal with dust any more. Festool has several affordable sanders
that fill the bill. Of course a quiet vac works wonders with these sanders.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Simpler still, buy a new sander with dust collection. I never wear a mask
and never deal with dust any more. Festool has several affordable sanders
that fill the bill. Of course a quiet vac works wonders with these

sanders.

Yes, but you have to admit, Festool is exceptional a dust collection. Factor
in the cost of them and most people will consider breathing the dust first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
Simpler still, buy a new sander with dust collection. I never wear a
mask
and never deal with dust any more. Festool has several affordable
sanders
that fill the bill. Of course a quiet vac works wonders with these

sanders.

Yes, but you have to admit, Festool is exceptional a dust collection.
Factor
in the cost of them and most people will consider breathing the dust
first.

Absolutely true! I dealt/put up with dust for almost 25 years. Finally I
added a dust collector. The Domino requires a vac to be collected to
properly evacuate the mortises that it creates so I took advantage of the
substantial discount by buying the Domino, Domino assortment and Vac all at
the same time, a big pill to swallow but about $200-$300 less expensive that
way IIRC. Any way with the combination of the dust collector and the
Festool vac creating less mess and greatly easing clean up, I got used to
the cleaner working environment rather quickly. Then I decided to retire my
15 year old PC right angle ROS and SpeedBloc finish sander with the Festool
Rotex and Festool finish sander. Wow, no more sanding dust. I had no clue
that the dust control on these sanders would be that good. It tool me quite
a while to trust that the sanders, especially the finish sander, were even
working. "No dust" is deceiving. Knowing when to change worn out sand
paper is a bit tough also. Worn out sand paper looks like new sand paper,
you have to feel the paper with your finger to know when to change it.
Fortunately the paper lasts even longer because it does not get clogged.
Had I known how effecient all of this dust control/collection worked I would
have made the switch many years ago.