WoodChuck34

Default FS Grizzly Jointer Knives / Grizzy restocking fee joke?

I bought the wrong jointer blades from my Grizzly jointer. It's my
own fault because I was paying attention when I clicked the
accessories for this product button and quickly placed an order for
the knives.

Anyone interested in a set (or 2) of G6665 jointer knives let me know.
They are the ones for the Dispoza-Blade System, which is where I made
my mistake. You need the Dispoza-Blade cutterhead ($159). Oops.

They want to charge me an additional 10% restocking fee (I know, its
clearly marked on their website) so if anyone wants these I'll sell
them for what I paid, $16.95 and I'll pay the shipping. Figure that
may make it worth it for someone out there. I have 2 sets, unopened.

And next time, I'll make sure I read everything when I place my
Grizzly order.

As a footnote, thanks to everyone's posts about tuning jointers. I
did a little research and squaring up a board no longer produces
S-Curves.

Chuck
DexAZ

Default FS Grizzly Jointer Knives / Grizzy restocking fee joke? (long rant added)

The "restocking fee" is now common at many brick and mortar operations also.
Best Buy, Target etc. I'm sure this is, in part, because they have been
burned by buyers taking advantage of a "no questions asked" refund.
However, some places have no mention of this fee clearly posted. It is not
mentioned until you are handed your receipt by the cashier (or automated
checkout system). and then only if you take the time to read the fine print
on the receipt or the faint grey print detailing store policy on the back,
will you find some mention of this "restocking fee". Some places set their
"restocking fee" as high as 20% so watch out! Grizzly is kind enough to
have their "restocking fee" clearly posted on their web pages. And Chuck is
man enough to admit _he_ made the error, not Grizzly.

{rant mode "ON"}

I think it is too bad that today's retailers think they need to charge their
customers (soon-to-be _former_ customers, in many cases) this "restocking
fee". In another life, I was in the retail electronics field. We sold a
good product and we worked hard to train our sales staff to assist our
customers in selecting the right product to fill that customers needs. We
enjoyed a less than 1 percent product failure rate out of the box. So we
did not have to deal with many DOA complaints. Sometimes the salesman
misunderstood what the customer needed, sometimes the customer did not fully
understand _what_ he needed. We were always pleased to replace, exchange or
refund to make the customer happy. That WAS the corporate policy, satisfy
our customer. And we never charged a "restocking fee", which would only
assure that our customer left the store with a bad taste in his mouth.
Returns, replacements, refunds etc. were simply a cost of doing business.
Some things could be repackaged and resold, some marked down and sold
"as-is", others returned to the manufacturer for credit and some things were
tossed in the dumpster. Checking these items, repacking, marking down,
shipping for credit and all the paperwork involved took time but that was
all part of doing business. The main goal was to assure that, even though
our customer had to return with the product for whatever reason, we would do
whatever was necessary to correct the situation and have our customer leave
the store with a smile. (hopefully to return one day and make another
purchase) The formula seemed to work, as we grew from 375 stores in '69 to
+11,000 in 1980. AHH, the good old days!!!

Today, many retailers are in for the quick buck, would rather compete with
price than quality, hire inexperienced help, offer minimal training and seem
content with a "revolving door" staff. Constantly have to hunt down someone
to answer a question and finding 4-8 "salesmen" in a huddle, discussing last
nights game, who got voted off the island or where to party this weekend,
has driven me from Best Buy, Fry's Electronics etc. Now retailers add the
"restocking fee" to drive more of us away? I'm sure it makes sense in
business school but I can still vote with my feet.

{rant mode "off"}

need to get another cold COKE and see if I can jack the old blood pressure
up a little higher

DexAZ

Edwin Pawlowski

"DexAZ" wrote in message
{rant mode "ON"}

I think it is too bad that today's retailers think they need to charge

their
customers (soon-to-be _former_ customers, in many cases) this "restocking
fee". In another life, I was in the retail electronics field. We sold a
good product and we worked hard to train our sales staff to assist our
customers in selecting the right product to fill that customers needs.

Today, many retailers are in for the quick buck, would rather compete with
price than quality, hire inexperienced help, offer minimal training and

seem
content with a "revolving door" staff.

Quick buck or not, we are bringing this on ourselves. As buyers, many of us
look for the lowest possible price. In your case, you had trained people
that probably got a decent wage and your customers paid a higher, but still
fair price. That type of business often struggles against the price
choppers. So when Joe Tyro buys the wrong item, or worse, takes advantage
of liberal "now questions asked" return policies instead of renting, who
pays? There is a cost to put an item back in stock or it may have to be
sold at a discount. Is that fair to all of u s? Shouldn't the abusers pay
instead?

There is no one rule to fit every situation, but there should be some
accountability for our own decisions.
Ed

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Quick buck or not, we are bringing this on ourselves. As buyers, many of

us
look for the lowest possible price. In your case, you had trained people
that probably got a decent wage and your customers paid a higher, but

still
fair price. That type of business often struggles against the price
choppers. So when Joe Tyro buys the wrong item, or worse, takes advantage
of liberal "now questions asked" return policies instead of renting, who
pays? There is a cost to put an item back in stock or it may have to be
sold at a discount. Is that fair to all of u s? Shouldn't the abusers

pay
instead?

I worked for a large wholesale/retail warehouse a few years back. They
figured the average cost to process an order was about $50 by the time you
figured the salesman's time, the warehouse workers that stock the shelves,
then pull the orders, the office help that process the paper work, and
lastly the delivery trucks to run the order out . Makes on understand better
why they would charge restock. Even with the restock fee, they probably will
lose money on the deal. In the long run, on small orders it probably would
be cheaper to tell the customer to toss the item in the trash and send him a
credit! But think of the problems that would cause!
I am positive a restock is to make us think twice before we place an order.
Not really for the company to recoup costs, just an incentive for the
customer to do it right the first time.
Greg

Frank Ketchum

"WoodChuck34" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would call them and ask them to waive the restocking fee. All they can do
is say no. My company has a restocking fee, but it only kicks in 10 days
after reciept of the item. This is to protect people who make innocent
mistakes such as this one. It is designed to discourage returns 3 months
later, which cause other headaches for us.

Frank

Edwin Pawlowski

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message

I would call them and ask them to waive the restocking fee. All they can

do
is say no. My company has a restocking fee, but it only kicks in 10 days
after reciept of the item. This is to protect people who make innocent
mistakes such as this one. It is designed to discourage returns 3 months
later, which cause other headaches for us.

Frank

Similar is to place an order (assuming you want to buy other things they
sell) and when they ask for your credit card number you say "Oh, by the way,
I have this little problem that you can help me with. . . . . "