Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopsmith storage

Prior to my fathers passing he was putting together a stand, or storage
shelf kind of thing to hold many of the Shopsmith accessories, band saw,
belt sander etc. He was not able to finish it, and I, out of sentimentality
I suppose, would like to do so. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the
plans he had purchased long ago. I looked on the SS website, along with
their companion magazine "Hands on
" site to see if I could locate ea copy with no luck. I have also raised the
question on the SSUG board to see if anybody there has a copy, no response
yet.

Anybody here have an idea of what I refer to? Got a copy? I would really
like to finish it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote:

Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the plans he had purchased long
ago.

Battels Hardware, Whittier, CA, specializes in buying/selling bits and
pieces for S/S.

They have a website.

Jack may be able to help you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try the shopsmith group on Yahoo groups. It is a fairly large
shopsmith groupo with a couple thousand registered users last I
looked.

There are many different versions of these torage units for the
"Special Purpose Tools" or SPTs. Mine is simply two 2x4s with legs and
pairs of holes appropriately sized for the Shopsmith tools support
posts drilled in them. I stuck caters on it. It is essentially the
same length a the Shopsmith so I can put several SPTs on it shove it
against the wall, shove the Shopsmith up against it and store a whole
workshop in about a 6' by 4' space. I currently have the jointer, 6x48
belt sander, 1" strip sander, and jig saw on it along with an
extension table. The bandsaw is on the Shopsmith.

Dave Hall.

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:38:07 -0700, "Markndawoods"
wrote:

Prior to my fathers passing he was putting together a stand, or storage
shelf kind of thing to hold many of the Shopsmith accessories, band saw,
belt sander etc. He was not able to finish it, and I, out of sentimentality
I suppose, would like to do so. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the
plans he had purchased long ago. I looked on the SS website, along with
their companion magazine "Hands on
" site to see if I could locate ea copy with no luck. I have also raised the
question on the SSUG board to see if anybody there has a copy, no response
yet.

Anybody here have an idea of what I refer to? Got a copy? I would really
like to finish it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well that sounds something like what he had started to build. Did you have
any plans to go by, or did you just design and make it yourself?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

wrote:

Prior to my fathers passing he was putting together a stand, or storage
shelf kind of thing to hold many of the Shopsmith accessories, band saw,
belt sander etc. He was not able to finish it, and I, out of
sentimentality
I suppose, would like to do so. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the
plans he had purchased long ago. I looked on the SS website, along with
their companion magazine "Hands on
" site to see if I could locate ea copy with no luck. I have also raised
the
question on the SSUG board to see if anybody there has a copy, no response
yet.

Anybody here have an idea of what I refer to? Got a copy? I would really
like to finish it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

I really just stuck it together. Only two really important
measurements are the diameter of the holes and how far apart they are.
Measure these two items carefully on one of your SPTs (they are all
the same). Then drill the holes every 6" or 8" down the 2x4s. Cut a
few cross boards from another 2x4 the correct lenghth to make the
holes properly spaced apart and attach the two 2x4s together (kind of
like a ladder. add a 4x4 block the same length as the 2x4 cross bars
on each end and the middle to act as legs and add some locking casters
to them (takes 6 casters but only 2 need to be lockers). This sets the
whole unit 5" plus the size of the casters off of the floor which I
have found to be adequate. Other folks need this to be much higher as
it hurts their backs to lift the SPTs up from so low. In that case I
have seen people build a rolling cabinet (which adds needed storage)
and bolt the 2x4 / 4x4 structure on top of it (obviously sans the
casters). Of course that can be done after the fact if you find the
basic setup too low.

Dave Hall

whOn Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:31:53 -0700, "Markndawoods"
wrote:

Well that sounds something like what he had started to build. Did you have
any plans to go by, or did you just design and make it yourself?

Thanks for the input.

Mark
.. .

wrote:

Prior to my fathers passing he was putting together a stand, or storage
shelf kind of thing to hold many of the Shopsmith accessories, band saw,
belt sander etc. He was not able to finish it, and I, out of
sentimentality
I suppose, would like to do so. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the
plans he had purchased long ago. I looked on the SS website, along with
their companion magazine "Hands on
" site to see if I could locate ea copy with no luck. I have also raised
the
question on the SSUG board to see if anybody there has a copy, no response
yet.

Anybody here have an idea of what I refer to? Got a copy? I would really
like to finish it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Dave, I'll be messing around with this for a while. It really should
not take too long, but I am trying desperately to keep some form of income
coming in, so my focus is on that right now.

Appreciate the info,

Mark

wrote:

Well that sounds something like what he had started to build. Did you have
any plans to go by, or did you just design and make it yourself?

Thanks for the input.

Mark
. ..

wrote:

Prior to my fathers passing he was putting together a stand, or storage
shelf kind of thing to hold many of the Shopsmith accessories, band saw,
belt sander etc. He was not able to finish it, and I, out of
sentimentality
I suppose, would like to do so. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the
plans he had purchased long ago. I looked on the SS website, along with
their companion magazine "Hands on
" site to see if I could locate ea copy with no luck. I have also raised
the
question on the SSUG board to see if anybody there has a copy, no
response
yet.

Anybody here have an idea of what I refer to? Got a copy? I would really
like to finish it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark

Value of used Shopsmith oswin2461 Woodworking 89 April 5th 19 03:50 AM
Shopsmith Charles Friedman Woodturning 13 May 14th 07 02:55 AM
Shopsmith Ronald L. Schloss Woodworking 6 August 3rd 05 06:28 PM
shopsmith Carl Stigers Woodworking 1 November 1st 04 02:05 AM
Shopsmith ER Ajarisa Woodturning 0 August 19th 03 09:23 PM