Edwin Pawlowski

Default Questionf or Unisaw 100, re How To Make A Zero Clearance Insert With Splitte

The following presumes you have a right tilting Delta
Unisaw. Please make the necessary adjustments for your make
of saw, insert thickness and blade tilt direction.

How To Make A Zero Clearance Insert With Splitter:

1) Go to Home Depot/Lowes and give an eye up to the stack of 1/2" MDF.

I'm on my way to doing this.
OK, I did step one today and bought a sheet of MDF. Well, something similar
anyway.

A 2 x 4 sheet of MDF is $6 with tax. I can get about 18 inserts from it or
a cost of 33¢ each. Since that is kind of pricey, I bought a full sheet of
sheetrock instead. Cost per insert sill be about 8¢ each. Great idea huh!!!

My question is, what type of paint should I put on the sheetrock? Is gloss
latex better than the flat? I would think the wood being cut would slide
better that way. I'd be interested in knowing your experiences of using
sheetrock to make zero clearance inserts. I think I'm really onto something
here and maybe you and I can sell them as an economical alternative to those
expensive MDF ones.

I'll go back tomorrow for the screws.

Ed

B a r r y

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:41:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

My question is, what type of paint should I put on the sheetrock? Is gloss
latex better than the flat?

Depends on the color. IMHO, good inserts are red.

As Home Depot is the preeminent wooddorking supply house, I'll bet
someone in an orange apron would know exactly which paint is best.

If you're using sheetrock instead of MDF, don't forget to use drywall
screws for leveling the insert!

Barry

Dave Balderstone

Default Question for Unisaw 100, How To Make A Zero Clearance Insert With Spittle

If I eat beets first so the spittle's purple, can I use MDF from Co-op
instead of the Borg?

Curiously,

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
Unisaw A100

Dave Balderstone wrote:
If I eat beets first so the spittle's purple, can I use MDF from Co-op
instead of the Borg?

Curiously,

P U R P L E ! ! !

YouAyeOneHunnert
Unisaw A100

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Cost per insert sill be about 8¢ each. Great idea huh!!!

I'm expecting some rat ******* turd heel will up and steal
it, send it to Fine Wooddorking and walk away with a Urine
Yellow planer for sure.

My question, onna 'count of I like the cut of your jib, is,
could you maybe thin some ee-pox-ee and maybe soak
the sheet rock innit?

T'would seem to maybe make the inserts last longer.

UA100

Dave Balderstone

In article , Unisaw A100
wrote:

YouAyeOneHunnert

I'm on my way to Co-op!

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
Edwin Pawlowski

Unisaw A100 wrote:
My question, onna 'count of I like the cut of your jib, is,
could you maybe thin some ee-pox-ee and maybe soak
the sheet rock innit?

T'would seem to maybe make the inserts last longer.

UA100

Yeah, it would make them stiffer and we all know stiffer is better.

On a serious note, I did follow your instructions and cut out six blanks.
Just had time to make the templae tonight, but is sure is easy enough to do.
I recently bought a dado blade and now I'll have an assortment of inserts
to go with some different widths.

After making one now, I'm embarrased to admit I actually bought one for $15
las year. That won't happen again.

Thanks for the simple instructions. (even if I had to make four trips to HD
to get the parts)
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Unisaw A100

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
After making one now, I'm embarrased to admit I actually bought one for $15
las year. That won't happen again.

I paid $20 for mine (Xmas money/found money, i.e., the rule
of buying something foolish with found money) but I'm
figuring that with all the reproductions and the $$$ I'm
saving...

'Sides, you can always eBay it later. Just be sure to have
a hunnert dollar reserve on it.

Thanks for the simple instructions. (even if I had to make four trips to HD
to get the parts)

And that's a bad thing?

UA100
WoodChuck34

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message .com...
[...]

Its sad, but someone is probably going to have to post a detail method
of cleaning sheetrock dust out of a TS motor.

Thanks for the laugh.