Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are cyanoacrylates all created equal?

I'm curious about superglues - are they pretty much all the same? I
really love them for quick fixes in the shop. And what about the
accelerator - is it really just acetone? Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique writes:

I'm curious about superglues - are they pretty much all the same? I

Fresh superglue works better than old SG. Keep it in the fridge for
up to six mos.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dave" wrote:
I think the accelerator is trichloreythelene.

Not that either, I don't think, but it's chemically similar. Check the MSDS.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
, Jay
Pique wrote:
I'm curious about superglues - are they pretty much all the same? I
really love them for quick fixes in the shop. And what about the
accelerator - is it really just acetone? Anyone have any info?

Rockler's accelerator, at least, is not acetone. I checked on that a year
or
two back. All I can remember any more is that it's a fluorinated
hydrocarbon
of some sort, and that I found out what it is by Googling for the MSDS.

I seriously doubt that acetone is an accelerator, I use acetone to remove
Super Glue before it cures and after.

signature database 4169 (20090619) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4169 (20090619) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:52:34 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

I'm curious about superglues - are they pretty much all the same? I
really love them for quick fixes in the shop. And what about the
accelerator - is it really just acetone? Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

JP

No sources, etc.. just what I've heard/experienced:

According to most ads, all CA is the same formula, the difference is in
filtering of contaminants, or whatever..

Acetone (finger nail polish remover) is what I use to get CA off my fingers, so
I'd tend to think it's what CA solvent is, not accelerator...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 18, 7:52*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm curious about superglues - are they pretty much all the same? *I
really love them for quick fixes in the shop. *And what about the
accelerator - is it really just acetone? *Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

JP

From Wikipedia article:

“… Generally, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin which rapidly
polymerises in the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions),
forming long, strong chains, joining the bonded surfaces together.
Because the presence of moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to
moisture in the air can cause a tube or bottle of glue to become
unusable over time. To prevent an opened container of glue from
setting before use, it must be stored in an airtight jar or bottle
with a package of silica gel. …”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the replies. I have found that the newer the glue the
better it adheres and hardens. I use quite a bit of it to repair
small cracks and shingling in the reclaimed wood we use. Excellent
stuff. Mostly used the FastCap brand, but I'm going to try some
others.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

CA is used in the RC Airplane hobby - a lot, and they recommend
storing CA glue in the freezer to keep it fresh. I am lucky to have
a "guy's fridge" in the shop, and the freezer section is perfect for
6-7 bottles of glue, including the opened ones. I get them from
Tower Hobby, on line. I thought I was the only one who used CA to
"fix" woodworking projects.
Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
CA is used in the RC Airplane hobby - a lot, and they recommend
storing CA glue in the freezer to keep it fresh. I am lucky to have
a "guy's fridge" in the shop, and the freezer section is perfect for
6-7 bottles of glue, including the opened ones. I get them from
Tower Hobby, on line. I thought I was the only one who used CA to
"fix" woodworking projects.

I think you'll find that a lot of pen turners use it as a finish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:18:10 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have found that the newer the glue the
better it adheres and hardens. I use quite a bit of it to repair
small cracks and shingling in the reclaimed wood we use. Excellent
stuff. Mostly used the FastCap brand, but I'm going to try some
others.

JP

I'm a turner and use 3 or 4 viscosities and both "normal", flexible and colored
CA..
I find that by storing the ones that I don't use often in the refrigerator, they
last MUCH longer..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:12:06 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

rich wrote:
CA is used in the RC Airplane hobby - a lot, and they recommend
storing CA glue in the freezer to keep it fresh. I am lucky to have
a "guy's fridge" in the shop, and the freezer section is perfect for
6-7 bottles of glue, including the opened ones. I get them from
Tower Hobby, on line. I thought I was the only one who used CA to
"fix" woodworking projects.

I think you'll find that a lot of pen turners use it as a finish.

And a lot of pen turners get paper towels glued to their fingers, too.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:13:52 -0700, mac davis wrote:

I find that by storing the ones that I don't use often in the
refrigerator, they last MUCH longer..

I can reinforce that opinion. I've had some work for almost 2 years now
because I keep it in the refrigerator on the top shelf next to the
freezer. Stored at room temperature my experience has been I'm lucky if
it lasts 6 months.

And the FastCap stuff seems to hold better and last longer than some
other brands I've tried.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-06-20, J. Clarke wrote:
rich wrote:
CA is used in the RC Airplane hobby - a lot, and they recommend
storing CA glue in the freezer to keep it fresh. I am lucky to have
a "guy's fridge" in the shop, and the freezer section is perfect for
6-7 bottles of glue, including the opened ones. I get them from
Tower Hobby, on line. I thought I was the only one who used CA to
"fix" woodworking projects.

I think you'll find that a lot of pen turners use it as a finish.

And knifemakers too. It is really good finish for kitchen knives.
If you are careful you can fix small cracks too and turn unusable
wood into pretty nice handles.

There are several chemical compositions, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

I would liko to get hold to the medical cyanoacrylate, very handy
treating blisters in feets.

seismo malm