Porter-Cable nailer repair?

Old May 18th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter-Cable nailer repair?

I lent my FR350 to a friend who proceeded to jam it up, and then 'repair'
it. The gun was not old at all, and worked well untill then. He took the
magazine apart and wasn't able to reassemble it. Even with the exploded view
from the website, I wasn't able to reassemble it either. There may be a
missing spring also. I took it to my not so local DeWalt/P-C/Delta repair
center (along with a compressor as mentioned in a previous post), where they
quoted me a price of 'at least' $129 to fix. Does anyone know of a repair
shop around Chicago or its suburbs who repairs air nailers? Google doesn't
come up with much at all. I hate to just toss it out, but it doesn't make
sense to spend that kind of money to rerassemble it. Thanks, Mark

Old May 18th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:19:02 -0500, "mm" wrote:

I lent my FR350 to a friend who proceeded to jam it up, and then 'repair'
it. The gun was not old at all, and worked well untill then. He took the
magazine apart and wasn't able to reassemble it. Even with the exploded view
from the website, I wasn't able to reassemble it either. There may be a
missing spring also. I took it to my not so local DeWalt/P-C/Delta repair
center (along with a compressor as mentioned in a previous post), where they
quoted me a price of 'at least' $129 to fix. Does anyone know of a repair
shop around Chicago or its suburbs who repairs air nailers? Google doesn't
come up with much at all. I hate to just toss it out, but it doesn't make
sense to spend that kind of money to rerassemble it. Thanks, Mark

Sounds like your 'friend' owes you a new nailer.
Old May 18th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking

The magazine on a framing nailer is not that complex. The spring on
most magazines is just a flat coil which rewinds to put compression on
the nail sticks. I cannot imagine how to jam up the magazine.
Now, if it's the nose of the nailer, where the driver blade pushes the
nail off the end of the magazine that got jammed up, that I could
easily believe. The nose is bolted to the end of the air cylinder. The
magazine is just sheet metal and holds up to 2 sticks of nails before
they are fed to the nose and driven by the driver blade.
If he put clipped-head nails into the round-head nailer, that would do
it, allowing 2 nails to jam into the nose piece. The safety surrounds
the nose and is held extended (preventing a fastener from being
driven) until pressure against the workpiece allow the nailer to
cycle.
These units are fairly durable. Get the guy to have your unit
repaired. Write down the serial number on it before you get him to
have it repaired at his expense.

Old May 18th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"mm" wrote:

I took it to my not so local DeWalt/P-C/Delta repair center (along
with a compressor as mentioned in a previous post), where they
quoted me a price of 'at least' $129 to fix.

Your "Friend" owes you the replacement cost of a new gun.

You owe him the existing gun in whatever state of assembly it exists.

Lew

Old May 18th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

mm wrote:
I lent my FR350 to a friend who proceeded to jam it up, and then
'repair' it. The gun was not old at all, and worked well untill then. He
took the magazine apart and wasn't able to reassemble it. Even with the
exploded view from the website, I wasn't able to reassemble it either.
There may be a missing spring also. I took it to my not so local
DeWalt/P-C/Delta repair center (along with a compressor as mentioned in
a previous post), where they quoted me a price of 'at least' $129 to
fix. Does anyone know of a repair shop around Chicago or its suburbs who
repairs air nailers? Google doesn't come up with much at all. I hate to
just toss it out, but it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money
to rerassemble it. Thanks, Mark

Did you try the detailed, exploded diagrams at:

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/servicenet_home.aspx

I've been able to rebuild most of my PC tools just from their
diagrams/parts list.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08