Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New to turning

Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova lathe. I
see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning set for approx
$150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with these? Would they be
good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools yet...

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Chris Fitzpatrick" wrote:
Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova lathe. I
see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning set for approx
$150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with these? Would they be
good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools yet...

Try asking over in rec.crafts.woodturning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 12:39:24 -0400, Chris Fitzpatrick wrote:

Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova
lathe. I see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning
set for approx $150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with
these? Would they be good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools
yet...

Yes, they are a good set, but for just starting out you need to not only
learn to turn, but learn to sharpen. Harbor Freight had, and may still
have, a set of HSS tools for a lot less. They're not as good, and you
may throw them out in disgust in a year or so, but in the meantime you
won't worry as much about grinding off good chunk while learning to
sharpen. And by then you'll know enough to go to Woodcraft and buy
individual tools to suit your style/taste instead of a general purpose
set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 12:39:24 -0400, "Chris Fitzpatrick"
wrote:

Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova lathe. I
see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning set for approx
$150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with these? Would they be
good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools yet...

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Chris

Yes...
For less than $20 a tool, it's a good way to start..

At the $229 price, I'd buy elsewhere for a new turner..
As others have said, it's not the turning that uses up tools, it's the
sharpening..

Hardest part for me was learning the difference between "grinding" and
"sharpening", and until you do, learn sharpening on cheap chisels.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova
lathe. I see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning
set for approx $150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with
these? Would they be good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools
yet...

Yes, they are a good set, but for just starting out you need to not only
learn to turn, but learn to sharpen. Harbor Freight had, and may still
have, a set of HSS tools for a lot less. They're not as good, and you
may throw them out in disgust in a year or so, but in the meantime you
won't worry as much about grinding off good chunk while learning to
sharpen. And by then you'll know enough to go to Woodcraft and buy
individual tools to suit your style/taste instead of a general purpose
set.

Good advice.
Besides, I like to use the cheapies to grind out custom shapes. It works
out well and you're not worried about grinding down a hundred dollar tool.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova lathe.
I see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning set for
approx $150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with these? Would
they be good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools yet...

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Chris

As others have said, Harbor Freight's is a great set to learn on. I have a
set, it's OK, and they are being replaced, slowly. But when you consider
the price, a good value.

New to turning. Jesse Woodturning 9 March 30th 07 05:34 PM
Turning 'Til There's No There There charlie b Woodturning 7 September 26th 06 04:32 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
Pen Turning? harryc Woodturning 4 March 13th 05 07:44 PM
I'm done turning for a while william kossack Woodturning 29 March 23rd 04 04:16 AM