Posted to rec.woodworking

Default King Mitre Saws

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has any experience with King mitre
saws? Looking to add a 10" slider to the shop, have a makita cms that
i love but can't justify the $ for the makita 10" slider, would love
one but...

Won't be a real heavy use tool, the local lumberyard has the King's on
sale for $289.00- just wondering if anyone has any personal reviews. I
had a King table saw for 15 years and it was a good saw (recently
replaced with a ridgid 3660) but haven't used any of their othe r
tools.

thanks,
mick
Posted to rec.woodworking

mick wrote:
Hi folks, wondering if anyone has any experience with King mitre
saws? Looking to add a 10" slider to the shop, have a makita cms that
i love but can't justify the $ for the makita 10" slider, would love
one but...

Won't be a real heavy use tool, the local lumberyard has the King's on
sale for $289.00- just wondering if anyone has any personal reviews. I
had a King table saw for 15 years and it was a good saw (recently
replaced with a ridgid 3660) but haven't used any of their othe r
tools.

I assume you're in Canada? The King miter saw is from their "King
Canada" line, which is not in the same league as their "King Industrial"
stuff.

There's a reason why it's under $300 for a slider--you won't get the
same precision or tolerences as you would with the big dollar stuff.
Try wiggling the handle from side to side at both ends of the slide.
Chances are you'll have a fair bit of slop. Check the accuracy of the
stops, and whether the fence is 90 degrees to the base.

If it's acceptable to you, then go for it, but be aware that there are
corners being cut to reduce the price.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

mick mick@work... wrote in news:g4j3v4dtj264p6jndu0lelmbvct54aco77@
4ax.com:

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has any experience with King mitre
saws? Looking to add a 10" slider to the shop, have a makita cms that
i love but can't justify the $ for the makita 10" slider, would love
one but...

Won't be a real heavy use tool, the local lumberyard has the King's on
sale for $289.00- just wondering if anyone has any personal reviews. I
had a King table saw for 15 years and it was a good saw (recently
replaced with a ridgid 3660) but haven't used any of their othe r
tools.

thanks,
mick

I've got a Kobalt $200 SCMS from Lowes. One of the big differences I've
noticed between it and more expensive saws was the lack of a dust
collection port right behind the blade. It's something to watch out for,
especially if you'll be working in a building most the time.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have two Makita SCMSs (7 1/2" and 10"), the fellow I share my shop
with has a King (not sure of the model), but the King realy doesn't
compare - nothing as smooth or accurate as the Makita. I would say it
all depends on how you want to use the saw, and how often - for
occasional rougher use King would do it. There do seems to be some
good deals on the Hitachi 8 1/2" right now, but I can't remember
where.

HTH,
Jeffo

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:37:59 -0700, mick mick@work... wrote:

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has any experience with King mitre
saws? Looking to add a 10" slider to the shop, have a makita cms that
i love but can't justify the $ for the makita 10" slider, would love
one but...

Won't be a real heavy use tool, the local lumberyard has the King's on
sale for $289.00- just wondering if anyone has any personal reviews. I
had a King table saw for 15 years and it was a good saw (recently
replaced with a ridgid 3660) but haven't used any of their othe r
tools.

thanks,
mick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the responses. I actually picked one up, got it home and
tried it out and was completely unimpressed. Couldn't get set up
square, the dust bag collected virtually no dust, was a bad experience
that has actually got me reconsidering the slider completely. I
returned it.

It could be I am spoiled by the Makita as it really is a great little
saw- are the "better" sliders comparable, like the Bosch, Dewalt,
Makita, Hitachi? Do they make straight, consistent cuts, do the saws
stay in tune? Or is there a large trade-off in quality for the
convenience of the larger capacity of cut?

I guess I'm wondering if the better sliders are "really" good or if
there is a trade-off on cut quality. I'm not doing brain surgery or
anything but if I'm going to drop $500.00 on a saw i would like to be
confident that I am getting at least as good a saw as I have
already...

cheers!
Mick

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know what you mean by "better" but I would certainly not
include Dewalt (or Black & Decker and since B&D bought them, Porter
Cable) in a "better" category. I had 12" Dewalt, hated it, gave it
to my son-in-law and then bought a Makita LS1013. I think it is
definitely worth the extra money.

Don't buy cheap and then have to buy again.

G.S.

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:11 -0700, mick mick@work... wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

mick wrote:

I guess I'm wondering if the better sliders are "really" good or if
there is a trade-off on cut quality. I'm not doing brain surgery or
anything but if I'm going to drop $500.00 on a saw i would like to be
confident that I am getting at least as good a saw as I have
already...

By their nature, it's going to be harder to get a slider to be as
dead-nuts accurate as a simple CMS. There are simply more moving parts.

On a better slider the play will be less, but generally you're still
going to be able to deflect the blade side to side slightly at one
extreme of travel or the other. This shouldn't impact 90-degree cuts
much, but may come into play on miters.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 27, 5:07*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
mick wrote:
I guess I'm wondering if the better sliders are "really" good or if
there is a trade-off on cut quality. *I'm not doing brain surgery or
anything but if I'm going to drop $500.00 on a saw i would like to be
confident that I am getting at least as good a saw as I have
already...

By their nature, it's going to be harder to get a slider to be as
dead-nuts accurate as a simple CMS. *There are simply more moving parts..

On a better slider the play will be less, but generally you're still
going to be able to deflect the blade side to side slightly at one
extreme of travel or the other. *This shouldn't impact 90-degree cuts
much, but may come into play on miters.

Chris

So much has to do with how they're used as well. One of my guys feels
the need to slam the blade through the work. I get a better cut just
letting the blade do its thing...nice and easy.
I was very happy with the Makita LS1013, but sold it when I simply
didn't need it anymore. I now have a dirtbag Crapsman to hack build-up
strips with and a 12" DeWalt, just a low-end, but with a great blade
and tuned. It fills my need. All the accuracy I need.
BUT... I must admit... I have been caught drooling around that
whizbang Milwaukee slider...yowsa that's a cool piece. Anybody want to
buy a DeWalt 735L?

King Compound Mitre Saw Laser Guide (minor problem) [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 2nd 07 02:46 AM
Mitre saws- opinions please Graham Mead UK diy 4 May 4th 05 01:25 PM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 12:29 PM
Mitre Saws Steve UK diy 5 July 24th 03 07:01 PM
compound mitre saws Mike Woodworking 2 July 11th 03 04:47 AM