Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default For your consideration

In my never-ending quest for functional redundancy, I've made this air
cleaner/sanding table/materials cart. It uses the spent filters from
my home furnace/AC, my old sanding table with the bottom removed, and
an old furnace blower. It sucks better than my old sanding table set-
up, where I'd used the DC for the vacuum. It cost one sheet of 3/4 MDF
from the borg, a 3 pronged plug and some thought. To set it up for
sanding duty, 4 screws are removed from the top, and the top is placed
vertically against the upwind end. The old sanding table is close
enough to the right size to completely cover the top, and the
resulting vacuum holds the upended top and sanding table in place very
well. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or comments, I'm all ears.
Tom http://www.tomeshew.spaces.live.com In the workshop album.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
In my never-ending quest for functional redundancy, I've made this air
cleaner/sanding table/materials cart. It uses the spent filters from
my home furnace/AC, my old sanding table with the bottom removed, and
an old furnace blower. It sucks better than my old sanding table set-
up, where I'd used the DC for the vacuum. It cost one sheet of 3/4 MDF
from the borg, a 3 pronged plug and some thought. To set it up for
sanding duty, 4 screws are removed from the top, and the top is placed
vertically against the upwind end. The old sanding table is close
enough to the right size to completely cover the top, and the
resulting vacuum holds the upended top and sanding table in place very
well. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or comments, I'm all ears.
Tom http://www.tomeshew.spaces.live.com In the workshop album.

Man you have a lot of nice tools. I built my sanding table with three
layers of filtration: cheap AC filter to catch chips, Better AC
filter, then below that a pleated cloth bag filter from Penn State.
The perforated top is on hinges and usually is folded back for greater
air flow for use as an air cleaner. The air exhausts downward. It also
uses a furnace blower.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Start off the day with a smile and get
it over with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Apr 16, 5:47 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:

Man you have a lot of nice tools. I built my sanding table with three
layers of filtration: cheap AC filter to catch chips, Better AC
filter, then below that a pleated cloth bag filter from Penn State.
The perforated top is on hinges and usually is folded back for greater
air flow for use as an air cleaner. The air exhausts downward. It also
uses a furnace blower.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Start off the day with a smile and get
it over with.

Thank you, sir. I'm way lucky. Got any photos of your system? I had
spoken with someone at Penn State, hoping they'd provide actual
measurements (they do provide "nominal" measurements) of their pleated
filter so I could make use of it in the air cleaner I was building.
The guy at first misunderstood when I told him about using my home
furnace filters in the box, thinking I'd be using Penn State's pleated
bag in my furnace! And then he wasn't too forthcoming from that point.
I think they really wanted me to buy their whole kit n' kaboodle,
though. I'm so cheap. Tom