Home made hinges and latches for small boxes

Old April 4th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home made hinges and latches for small boxes

I would like to make some hinges and latches for some small wooden
boxes. Since I have some leather, that seems to be a good choice for
the hinges, but I'm looking for some ideas on shop-made latches.
Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small
electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.
Old April 4th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I would like to make some hinges and latches for some small wooden
boxes. Since I have some leather, that seems to be a good choice for
the hinges, but I'm looking for some ideas on shop-made latches.
Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small
electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

A little pricey but looks well engineered.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCR...ngecrafter.htm

Old April 4th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I inset some magnets in the bottom half and steel pieces that
lined up in the lid on a few peices. Velcro is hard to beat for
utility type boxes.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Old April 4th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Copper sheeting. It's malleable and holds up well with that sort of
light use. Sometimes you can pick up sufficient scraps from home
construction sites during roof construction.
Sonny
Old April 4th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote:

Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small
electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

Assume (I know that's trouble, but so be it) that if you make these
boxes, they will be purty.

If so, why would you put ugly hinges on a purty box?

Inquiring minds, including mine, want to know?

Lew

Old April 4th 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 8:53 am, Phisherman wrote:
I would like to make some hinges and latches for some small wooden
boxes. Since I have some leather, that seems to be a good choice for
the hinges, but I'm looking for some ideas on shop-made latches.
Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small
electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

At a craft show once I saw a guy that made decorative latches that had
on the lid one piece as a dovetail shaped key with a straight section
coming out the short end, with a pin going through it into pieces on
either side. On the case there were two angled pieces the key locked
into. I reckon if you didn't care what it looked like you could crank
several of those out pretty quick.

Or, 3-4 round head screws and a rubber band.

-Kevin
Old April 5th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:21:28 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote:

Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small
electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

Assume (I know that's trouble, but so be it) that if you make these
boxes, they will be purty.

If so, why would you put ugly hinges on a purty box?

Inquiring minds, including mine, want to know?

Lew

I prefer utilitarian rather than fancy hinges or latches, similar to
Shaker style. Already made some wire hinges, not ugly and not fancy
neither.